UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -teen arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only read this post since the trial started. Only interest is a friend of mine lives close by and I saw it on her social media and her daughter was an ex pupil. All I can say is glad you aren’t my jury- the posts on this forum have definitely all swayed one way. Until all evidence is heard, I rarely form a strong opinion. In this case, I am particularly dubious about the whole family- for lots of reasons that have been said in the media and in the trial. I am curious to see how this pans out- motive is not strong at this point.

Welcome!

Sorry you feel that way but unfortunately the evidence is there and let’s be honest it’s not looking good for the accused. I can’t however apologise for not defending the actions of a person up for for murdering and raping an innocent 6 year old. I think most Websleuths users are good at taking everything into account before passing judgement (me not so much, my emotions take over, my timeout history proves that) ha ha

Another newbie!
If (when) found guilty and if the judge rules his identity must remain protected and cannot be publicly named, is this in UK only? Or worldwide ban on disclosing his identity?

The accused stated to friends that he would kill someone for the" life experience". As if this is a milestone in someone's life. His mother, who he butts heads with, is friends with Toni's family. This would be especially painful for her. He had a contentious relationship with Toni and RM over weed. Senselessly killing a child in such a cruel and gruesome manner means a lifetime of pain for the family. His semen DNA will be put into evidence. His clothes are at the beach. His mother's CCTV has him jumping fences in various states of undress in the wee hours of the morning. Two other CCTV's have a man carrying a child up the beach in the direction of the murder scene. We have yet to hear the forensics and the defense, but I'd say the state has put on a solid case so far.
I believe there was also his handprint on the stair rail going up to the flat. I don't think many cases have such overwhelming evidence tbh

The accused stated to friends that he would kill someone for the" life experience". As if this is a milestone in someone's life. .

I do agree that the evidence against him is strong and he is highly suspicious. However, I think that whole conversation was just teenage nonsense honestly. They were only 14 at the time and the girl herself was actually the one who initiated the conversation. She said the friend group had a dark sense of humour. She also said they were watching crime documentaries at the time. Looking at it under the context of this murder it is definitely concerning and I can see why people take issue with it, but I think it was just "silly" like she said. Although I guess if he did actually do it, perhaps it was foreshadowing which is pretty horrible to think about.

Last edited:
A note for newbies - please do not repeat or refer to any rumours heard. Everything posted needs to have appeared in mainstream media with a link if not already linked. Posts may need to be edited or if you can't edit your own post you can report your own post and ask a moderator to do it.

Does anyone think that there's any possibility of a not proven verdict, or do you think there's too much evidence for that to be a possibility?

A note for newbies - please do not repeat or refer to any rumours heard. Everything posted needs to have appeared in mainstream media with a link if not already linked. Posts may need to be edited or if you can't edit your own post you can report your own post and ask a moderator to do it.

Oops, apologies. I'll get on that.

That's a good point, although if his mom was letting them openly drink that could have motivated some of them to attend?

I'm very interested to hear more about who texted Toni and Rab the morning of the disappearance fingering the suspect, and why.

"Under cross-examination by defence brief Brian McConnachie, Ms McLachlan said she received messages all morning from people claiming the accused was responsible." The Scottish Sun

That is strange isnt it? How did they know? Or, at least have a really good idea?

Does anyone think that there's any possibility of a not proven verdict, or do you think there's too much evidence for that to be a possibility?

For us looking in it appears clear cut.

Let's play devils advocate.

For a jury there is some circumstantial evidence. Is there the smoking gun yet? Is the CCTV clear enough to identify him? He's a cool customer, explained everything against him. Even before his arrest he was playing innocent with his messages and talk with people.

IMO it's looking like a guilty verdict at the moment.

For us looking in it appears clear cut.

Let's play devils advocate.

For a jury there is some circumstantial evidence. Is there the smoking gun yet? Is the CCTV clear enough to identify him? He's a cool customer, explained everything against him. Even before his arrest he was playing innocent with his messages and talk with people.

IMO it's looking like a guilty verdict at the moment.

Yes, I agree. It definitely does seem like it will be a guilty verdict from an outsider's perspective.

But I guess you never know what will happen within the next week or what it's actually like inside the courtroom. Though I'd imagine it would need to be a pretty spectacular defence case to sway people's opinion.

Yes, I agree. It definitely does seem like it will be a guilty verdict from an outsider's perspective.

But I guess you never know what will happen within the next week or what it's actually like inside the courtroom. Though I'd imagine it would need to be a pretty spectacular defence case to sway people's opinion.
That's very true. There have been lots of twists and turns already, who knows what's to come

Re: the handprint, couldn't it be argued that he'd placed it there during a previous drug deal?

"He says the accused never entered his flat. He says he might have stood at the door to the flat but never came in.

Under cross-examination, Alesha’s dad is asked if his drug dealing took place at door of his house with the accused.

He answers: “I couldn’t tell you, it could have, I’m not entirely sure.”" Mirror

Seems unclear if he means the lower door or the door at the top of the stairs. If I were dealing drugs I'd do it in the stairwell so no one saw.

Re: the handprint, couldn't it be argued that he'd placed it there during a previous drug deal?

"He says the accused never entered his flat. He says he might have stood at the door to the flat but never came in.

Under cross-examination, Alesha’s dad is asked if his drug dealing took place at door of his house with the accused.

He answers: “I couldn’t tell you, it could have, I’m not entirely sure.”" Mirror

Seems unclear if he means the lower door or the door at the top of the stairs. If I were dealing drugs I'd do it in the stairwell so no one saw.
I guess it just proves he was there, but not when or why. The dad's response being vague too

Totally agree, they just need to plant some doubt amongst some of the jury and Boom! ....a hung jury or a not guilty verdict.
I was once on a jury and it motivated me to make sure I never ever put my life in the hands of a jury!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox