UK - Amber Peat, 13, Suicide, Mansfield, 30 May 2015 *Inquest*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Legally Bland, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

The inquest into the death of Amber Peat started on Monday 28 Jan 2019.

Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 5

KarenUK, pinklilies, solar and 5 others like this.
  2. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

This is just heartbreaking, especially your last post about the letter. Poor Amber, she felt like nobody wanted her.

KarenUK, leep, jessie and 5 others like this.
  3. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

I remember this case = so sad. There used to be a thread for her, not sure where its gone. Both those parents should be jailed.

4. CoverMeCagney

The thread was pulled when it transpired to be suicide of a minor (I think this is Ws standard practice)

Vail and Legally Bland like this.
  5. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

This is just so dreadfully sad.... without bringing previous discussion back up, I remember at the time some of our thoughts re the parent and step parent and it now sounds as though it was even worse than we thought.
    That poor little girl, she deserved to be loved and cherished in her life, not treated as surplus to requirements.
    RIP Amber x❤️

6. Legally Bland

Day 6

KarenUK, Alyce, Kasmeer and 1 other person like this.
  7. CoverMeCagney

Gets worse, that poor child. I hope these parents get a sentence for neglect.

KarenUK, Alyce, Kasmeer and 2 others like this.
  8. Kasmeer

Kasmeer Well-Known Member

Poor poor girl, I really hope those parents can be charged with something and not allowed to look after any children again :mad:

Caroclaud, KarenUK, Alyce and 2 others like this.
  9. Legally Bland

Day 7
    (MASH = Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub)

Kasmeer and jessie like this.
  10. Legally Bland

Day 8

Kasmeer and jessie like this.
  11. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

Seems everyone - apart from the vice principal at school and Amber's tutor - are absolving themselves from blame here. Safeguarding, social services, police and parents. It is heartbreaking poor Amber.

Caroclaud, KarenUK and Legally Bland like this.
  12. Legally Bland

Day 9

pinklilies, Kasmeer and jessie like this.
  13. Kitkat28

Kitkat28 Member

Yet another child slips through the cracks. So many people concerned for Amber’s well-being, and yet nothing done. MASH seems to be a joke; just an excuse for collective buck-passing. How much money will be spent on yet another enquiry from which no lessons are ever going to be learnt?

KarenUK, Kasmeer, mrazda71 and 2 others like this.
  14. Legally Bland

Amber Peat's mother today denied her daughter had wanted to kill herself and said she was taking part in a self-harming 'competition' at school, an inquest heard today.

Kelly Peat said her 13-year-old child's intention was to 'mark herself' rather than take her own life when she was found hanged in bushes in Mansfield in May 2015.

Mrs Peat and Amber's step-father Danny failed to report her missing for eight hours after going to the supermarket, out for dinner and to the car wash.

She said: 'We thought she was going to come back. I was just giving her time to calm down'.

Amber's mother also told the Nottingham inquest into her death that she had smashed her daughter's phone with a hammer during one big row.

She also admitted they would 'butt heads' over household chores but denied allegations that the 13-year-old was made to get up out of bed at 10.30pm and clean the floors for three hours.

Mrs Peat also sobbed as she knocked back allegations made by Amber's youth worker that she laughed when her daughter gave her a note saying 'I just want to be your little girl again'.

Amber Peat's mother tells inquest she doesn't believe schoolgirl, 13, intended to take her own life | Daily Mail Online

jessie and Kasmeer like this.
  15. Legally Bland

The mother and stepfather of a girl found hanged in bushes have told an inquest she lied about being given punishments and chores to do at home.

Amber Peat, 13, told a teacher her stepfather woke her up in the night to finish chores and forced her to wear baggy grey jogging bottoms to school.

However, Kelly and Daniel Peat both said these allegations were untrue.

In fact, Mrs Peat said her daughter had chosen to wear the grey jogging bottoms to school herself.

Mr Peat said he was not even there when his stepdaughter left for school wearing the jogging bottoms.

[...]

Mr and Mrs Peat both said they were sitting in the living room while Amber was in the hallway. Their accounts of what happened next differed after this point.

Amber's mother told the inquest: "She was stood in the hallway with the cool box in her hand and she was just staring at me. I asked her what was going on but she was just staring at me.

"I kept asking her 'What's wrong? What's going on?'

"She stood there and she was just staring so I shut the door to."

The coroner pointed out this account differed from her police statement, in which she said Amber had repeated "Mum, Mum, Mum", before her mother apparently said she did not want to talk to her.

"Was Amber saying 'Mum, Mum, Mum?" asked the coroner.

Mrs Peat replied: "I don't remember."

Recalling the same incident, Mr Peat said Amber was saying: "You are my mum and I want to talk to you. Mum, Mum, Mum."

Mr and Mrs Peat agreed Amber had been left alone in the hallway after Mrs Peat shut the door. They then remained sitting in the living room, they said, and heard the door slam as Amber left the house.

Hanged girl 'lied about punishments'

Ellmau, jessie and Kasmeer like this.
  16. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

Do they imagine anyone will believe that?

Kasmeer, KarenUK and Legally Bland like this.
  17. CoverMeCagney

This case is so upsetting. She begged to be loved by the one person who should, but literally and metaphorically had the door slammed in her face. I hope they both get a long sentence, absolutely sickening.

18. Legally Bland

I hate typing this, but if there are criminal proceedings they normally take place before an inquest.

Then again the inquest may throw up more for the CPS to consider.

19. KarenUK

KarenUK Well-Known Member

I hope social services are at least involved with their other children. Who goes out shopping and calmly eats their dinner when their 13 year old daughter is missing, even if they did just think she had ran away and would come back - did they not worry that a stranger could have targetted her?!

20. Legally Bland

The inquest into the death of tragic Mansfield teenager Amber Peat is now expected to resume tomorrow.

The hearing was adjourned on Tuesday and was expected to resume today for legal arguments but will now not continue until 10am on Friday.

It is not yet known whether Assistant Nottinghamshire Coroner Laurinder Bower will reach her decision tomorrow, or whether the process will continue into next week.

Read more at: AMBER PEAT: Inquest adjourned until Friday

KarenUK, Ellmau and jessie like this.