UK and Eire Forum

I thought Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom??? What am I missing??

Geography. Oh, and a bit of history and politics too.

The Republic of Ireland is a country in its own right. The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I think an international forum is too broad. Generally Americans tend to lump European countries together, but we are very much individual countries with very different cultures.

The Republic of Ireland is a country in its own right. The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I think an international forum is too broad. Generally Americans tend to lump European countries together, but we are very much individual countries with very different cultures.

Australia may be a 'multicultural' country now, but white settlement was by the British in 1788, our origins and flag reflect our Anglo-Celtic origins - the Union Jack. The majority of the population still have their ethnic origins in the UK and Ireland and family connections there. I venture to add the same for our Kiwi cousins who are the other half of the ANZAC legend. We have a Governor-General, but the Queen is still our Head of State. Her eldest son and his wife are here for a visit and presented the Melbourne Cup to the owners of the winning horse yesterday.

And just a cheeky heads-up - English is our first language :) (unlike my cousins in Co Kerry, whose answering machine message is in Irish Gaelic)

Well, my relations are Irish too and the Gaelic thing is regional within Ireland, very confusing to outsiders probably.

I definitely think an Australian forum and a UK and Ireland forum would be good, maybe Canada too.

Supporters of this thread may be interested in the following, received today.

Australian criminal justice scholars may be interested a Scottish criminal justice site:
CjScotland: An independent resource about criminal justice in Scotland http://cjscotland.co.uk/

(What is CjScotland? - Founded in October 2003, CjScotland is a handcrafted database of sources about crime and justice issues in Scotland and, where relevant, the rest of the UK and Europe. )

And a recent post on development in electronic monitoring:
Mike's blog: new directions and interesting times in Electronic Monitoring http://www.cjscotland.co.uk/2012/11...d-interesting-times-in-electronic-monitoring/ or http://bit.ly/WxqABM

Crimnet is an initiative of the Institute of Criminology, University of Sydney. For updates about seminars, publications and other activities of the Institute please see www.criminology.law.usyd.edu.au/ Join CrimNet: http://mailman.ucc.usyd.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/law-crimnet

Wow, wfgodot, you've put me to shame with all your hard work!
Sorry I haven't been about much, I've been moving house, and I've only just got my broadband back. Of course, the first thing I do is check Websleuths....
I'm absolutely fine with any other suggested names that people might like.
I saw a great idea so I picked it up and ran with it! Hope something becomes of it.

Thanks to all for all the posts in support.

Totally agree with this webnut.

I think a UK & Ireland forum would be an excellent idea. Count me in!:seeya:

I thought Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom??? What am I missing??

As I see it, we already have cases out of Canada, as well as an American missing from Germany, and I think there have been a couple from Australia. How about just calling it an international forum, for cases not in the U.S.? Wouldn't that cover a broader scope, in case someone goes missing from, say, Italy or France?

Just saying.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom (I'm from Belfast). The United Kingdom consists of England, Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is a country in it's own right. I have to say it drives me insane that even some people in the UK don't know that Northern Ireland is part of the U.K!! No offence intended and not directed at anyone in particular.

And just a cheeky heads-up - English is our first language :) (unlike my cousins in Co Kerry, whose answering machine message is in Irish Gaelic)[/QUOTE]

Irish/Gaelic would be spoken as a second language (if at all). I don't know anyone who speaks it! It is taught in some schools though. English is our spoken language and first language. Northern Ireland is part of the U.K and a seperate entity from the Republic of Ireland.

For a witty repartee about the Irish v. English language question and the benefits of both but the importance of the latter, see Brian O'Nolan (a.k.a. Brian Ó Nualláin, a.k.a. Flann O'Brien, a.k.a. Myles na gCopaleen, etc. etc. - author, under the second name parenthetically here, of the great novels At Swim-Two-Birds and The Third Policeman, and perhaps at the time the best writer and speaker of Irish on the island. He takes down those bristling with self-importance. Read the novels too - hilarious).

Another new, gone-missing WS thread:

UK Scotland: Alan Wylie, 14, Broughty Ferry, Dundee; 04 November 2012

LegallyBrunette -And just a cheeky heads-up - English is our first language :) (unlike my cousins in Co Kerry, whose answering machine message is in Irish Gaelic)

Irish/Gaelic would be spoken as a second language (if at all). I don't know anyone who speaks it! It is taught in some schools though. English is our spoken language and first language. Northern Ireland is part of the U.K and a seperate entity from the Republic of Ireland

I don't know if it is still the case but one of my cousins who was Matron of a local hospital told me that some of the elderly patients spoke very little English. This is in Dingle, part of the Gaeltacht. She and her siblings were taught in both languages at school. I know that does vary in other parts of Ireland.
When visiting in Dingle a lot of the locals, shopkeepers, publicans etc speak Irish, masses are in both languages and all over the south road signs are in English and Irish. (just saying this for the benefit of members who haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Emerald Isle - not for you BG :)

The Irish language is taught in all schools in the Irish Republic from age 5 upwards. We are all taught to be bilingual in English/Irish from an early age. And what is so wrong with our road signs containing both our national languages?

Can we please kill the anti-Irish vibe going on here?

ETA - sorry, I think I may have read that wrong. LOL, I thought you were advising people not to visit Ireland due to the Irish language on the road signs. Pfft, just ignore me.

I have had a thought - not a brilliant or even particularly clever thought, but a thought nonetheless, and having the hide of a rhino when it comes to criticism, I thought I would share it with you.....

Could we have a thread in the 'Up to the minute' section (that's the best place I can think of right now, but there may be better) that contains links to ALL the UK & Eire threads that are in some way current? A bit like a live index to the UK/Ireland.

It would take a while to compile and would have to remain chat free, but then whenever we post a new UK/Irish thread anywhere on the forum, a link could be added to the index, therefore keeping everyone informed of what is going on this side of the pond. There is usually a British/Irish related thread started pretty much every day so that would keep the index near the top of the page. It could be worth a try to see if it increases participation in the various topics?

The only downside I can envisage would be that it may be considered sufficient coverage and we wouldn't get our own special place on WS, but I would love to hear your thoughts as well.

love and kisses

Rhino Hide ;)

Hi Rhino hide, well I think thats a crap idea :floorlaugh:

lol, not really. I think thats a great alternative but would prefer a dedicated forum or sub forum if we could have it. But thats my opinion only and I've had a few red wines tonight so please forgive me :blushing:

I think we ought to wait till a proposed UK/Ireland forum/sub-forum - Fluttershy's original idea - gets blown out of the water before coming up with a compromise solution.

A forum/sub-forum would be there, hard-wired, for anyone to find with a bit of looking. An Up to the Minute collection of UK/Ireland threads would necessarily dip down the posting ledger quite far if the only things posted on it are existing and then new thread links. Very hard to find unless a person already knew what he or she was looking for.

I thought vaguely about just listing all the UK/Ireland threads on my blog but we run into the same problem - how are people who are new here, or people who come every so often, going to know that the threads which might interest them are collected on some cornball guy from Oklahoma's WS blog site? One of those "go figure!" things.

I think we should continue to ask for more posts in support here of Fluttershy's idea. If that doesn't work out after, oh, a couple weeks - we have no time limit, really - then we can come up with something else. I agree that an Up to the Minute thread would definitely be better than nothing, though.

I saw a great idea so I picked it up and ran with it! Hope something becomes of it.

Thanks to all for all the posts in support.

I said the same thing a month ago
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - UK UK (Wales) - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 01 Oct 2012 *ARREST MADE* - #3

As for the "Up To The Minute" idea: I don't know the difference between "Up To The Minute", "Crimes In The News", "Hot Cases" ..... they all sound the same to me. And I can't fathom why cases have to be moved around the boards, you know, "Located", "Trials", "Awaiting Trial" ...

If there's a case that interests me (that's already been brought to my attention), I might come on Websleuths and see if I can find a discussion on it. Otherwise I don't visit the site. I find it all too much of a jumble. Sorry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back