UK UK - Andrew Gosden, 14, Doncaster, South Yorks, 14 Sep 2007 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think LE pretty quickly said it could take up to a year to analyze the devices they found; do you have a theory then about why?
Investigation of a device can result in you finding accounts etc that have been used in apps but that are not currently authenticated into, or where now a different account is signed in. Or websites where the session has expired etc. Attempting to access that data then requires a request under the investigatory powers act, companies can often take months to respond to those.

Some late night thoughts

If I came into a lot of money I would give a portion to Kevin to fund a reward / significant media appeal for Andrew.

Bag & Shirt

I believe a TV case appeal should focus on jogging anyone’s memories about his bag at the time as it contained numerous distinctive badges, and also his t-shirt on the day he went missing.

I wonder has anyone ever bought / seen his t-shirt for sale online in the years after his disappearance? It was very common to sell previous band, football, etc t-shirts on EBay in used etc. Although I imagine if so, they would have long thrown it out by now. But I’m sure someone would remember buying it at the time.

The Tip Off

We know it was an anon tip off that led to Andrew being connected to these men. Could this tip off be someone related to those involved, an ex-friend, someone who’s relationships have changed with the people involved, a prisoner? I think it’s highly unlikely to be a hoax given the tip off was made in 2021 - 14 years after he went missing.

Even if nothing comes about from the investigation (which I fear) it doesn’t rule out the theory of HT or the men being involved. They could have long deleted any media relating Andrew over the years when they knew he was a profile case.

The Train

I often wonder would Andrew be here today if he had missed his train. Would he have taken the next train?

There’s very little in the media about this but a Reddit user submitted a request to get information re. Incidences and train times.

He actually would of missed the train he took that morning but made it in time as the train was late arriving by 18 minutes. The train was initially supposed to depart at 9:14 am (it left at 9:32) and Andrew is seen at 9:05 am leaving his home. The walk is 17 minutes to the train station and if you factor in crossing roads and buying a ticket, there’s no way he would of made it otherwise.

MOO

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of the arrests/subsequent info taking a long time in a positive way - i.e there is a concrete trail that they are thoroughly investigating and looking into regarding Andrew which will hopefully lead the way to the right answers.
It’s worth remembering that if there's even the slightest possibility that Andrew is alive and if the police think a sexual offence has occurred, there is little or nothing they can say publicly due to anonymity laws.

There may also (and this is just my speculation) be evidence or potential evidence of other crimes not related to Andrew that are being investigated as a result of the arrests and any searches of computers etc. and for serious and/or complex investigations, it can take a long time to build a case.

It’s worth remembering that if there's even the slightest possibility that Andrew is alive and if the police think a sexual offence has occurred, there is little or nothing they can say publicly due to anonymity laws.

There may also (and this is just my speculation) be evidence or potential evidence of other crimes not related to Andrew that are being investigated as a result of the arrests and any searches of computers etc. and for serious and/or complex investigations, it can take a long time to build a case.
Yeah, I have to agree that it can take a long time unfortunately. We just need to hope that what they have behind the scenes is concrete info - one way or another - for Andrew and his family. We’ll just need to sit tight.

Look at the Madeleine McCann case. It's been a few *years* since they identified a suspect and stated they have evidence, yet they are still trying to build a strong enough case to charge. There may never be a charge.
IMO the next few years will be critical for both cases.

Last edited:

"Mr Gosden said: 'It was just so, so normal in our house, in our family, until he vanished. You go over and over, in your mind, all the possibilities that might exist for why he might have chosen to disappear, and we can’t come up with anything at all.'"

I know in this article his father meant *if he chose* to disappear. I don't think that is what Andrew wanted (chose) to happen, though.

I was recently reading an unrelated case in which a mistrial was declared, because after 3 years of trying, the F.B.I. had finally cracked the code to open a victim's cell phone while a trial was already underway. So there may be hope yet, that the devices seized in Andrew's case will have needed information on them. In other words, investigators may still be trying to get all of the data... JMO/IMO.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Our main aim is to encourage anyone who might know Andrew to contact the police.
“By providing details about his appearance we are hoping to spark a conversation between friends or people that might know him as the 30 year old man he is today.
“Does someone you know have gaps in their life history?

“Do you know someone with a distinctive double ridge on their right ear?
“Is there someone in your life, your street, or your community that might be Andrew?”
From https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.u...r-teenager-andrew-gosden-went-missing-4336655

They seem to speak of him as if he's very much alive. I don't understand if this is purely because they don't have proof that he isn't, or because they have proof or strong suspicions that he is.

b25lY21zOjlkYWVkZDFhLThmZTgtNGI0Zi05OTZlLWViNDZlZjBiZTVkMjo1YzYzZTg5NS1hMzNjLTRhOGMtOWIyZC05YjRkNWI2MzAxMmU=.jpg

Andrew was 14 when he disappeared on September 14, 2007 and he’d now be 30.

To mark the anniversary of his disappearance, police have shared age progression photos of Andrew and images of his distinctive right ear, all of which could be vital in finding a piece in the puzzle of his disappearance.

DI Knowles said: “Time does not lessen the pain for Andrew’s family.

Since his disappearance, Andrew’s dad Kevin has continued to raise awareness and search for answers about his son.

He works closely with the national charity Missing People, collating useful information to help the wider public in their search for Andrew.

More information can be found via Kevin’s blog.

UPDATE: Two men released from investigation into disappearance of Andrew Gosden

Detectives investigating the disappearance of 14-year-old Andrew Gosden on 14 September 2007 have today (Wednesday 20 September) released two men from their investigation.

Detectives interviewed the men and seized a number of items. The accounts provided by the men have now been confirmed and they have been eliminated from the inquiry.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Knowles is leading the investigation. He said: “We’re confident the two men arrested played no part in Andrew’s disappearance and have been eliminated from our inquiries, however the investigation remains open and active and we would urge anyone with information to come forward.

“It’s now been 16 years since Andrew’s disappearance and we know in that time people’s views, opinions and loyalties can change. Even the smallest piece of information could help detectives find answers for Andrew’s family who have campaigned tirelessly for answers.”

Read our statement here: Two men released from investigation into disappearance of Andrew Gosden

Sadly we are back to 2021 with this case. Really disappointing nothing has come of this.

Do we believe Andrew could still be a victim of trafficking/kidnapping? I was so convinced despite the men not facing charges that this was Andrew’s faith given the tip-off after so many years and now I feel different.

I feel more inclined to think Andrew died the day he went missing by foul play or some form of accident.

But like we discussed above, the police have focused on him being alive despite there being nothing to suggest this. Missing People always address Andrew directly “we’re here for you”. The police always ask people to think of those who could be Andrew as a 30 year old.

I really hoped the arrests would be the thing that cracked this case wide open. Sadly it is not meant to be. The case now feels back to square one. Really feel for Andrew’s family - a living, never ending nightmare.

A devastating statement from his family. So sorry for them.

IMO LE's statement rules out involvement by the two men (rather than saying something more vague.) You have to wonder what led to the false "tip-off," etc.

Do we believe Andrew could still be a victim of trafficking/kidnapping?

IMO possible.
I think he was lured to London by more than just needing a day off, and I think all 14-year-olds are really vulnerable.
I think if an accident had occured, he would have been found and that evidence points to him planning to return home. What do you think?

The fact it was so quickly linked to Andrew’s case by police really made me think they had solid evidence the two were involved in his disappearance, but the fact we’re 18 months down the line with no further information is super confusing.
Hard disagree here, especially when it comes to things like human trafficking, or (as an example) the dark web, or people suspected of a multitude of crimes. Investigations frequently span years.

Some late night thoughts

If I came into a lot of money I would give a portion to Kevin to fund a reward / significant media appeal for Andrew.

Bag & Shirt

I believe a TV case appeal should focus on jogging anyone’s memories about his bag at the time as it contained numerous distinctive badges, and also his t-shirt on the day he went missing.

I wonder has anyone ever bought / seen his t-shirt for sale online in the years after his disappearance? It was very common to sell previous band, football, etc t-shirts on EBay in used etc. Although I imagine if so, they would have long thrown it out by now. But I’m sure someone would remember buying it at the time.
Snipped in order to reply to the shirt.

I was 14 in 2007 as well. Slipknot shirts were not uncommon amongst my peers, and kids older and even a bit younger.
I feel strongly that this could've easily been purchased at a local Hot Topic, and I tragically don't think it's reasonable for someone to find purchasing a secondhand Slipknot shirt years ago, extremely memorable.
1695261262527.png

*The following is separate from the quoted post/my post/the picture*
In addition to the police statement about clearing the two men, there is this-

Andrew’s parents, Kevin and Glenys Gosden, have today released the following statement: “As a family, we wish to extend our thanks to DCI Andy Knowles and his team for carrying out such a comprehensive investigation. It is reassuring to know that any possible leads relating to Andrew’s disappearance in 2007 continue to be dealt with in a thorough and professional manner.

“Our hearts go out to the men who have been exonerated of any involvement in Andrew’s disappearance. They have no connection to our missing son and we feel profoundly sorry for the inevitable distress that such allegations will have caused.

“The past months of this investigation have been a period of additional difficulty for our family, intensifying our sense of living in limbo, not knowing what happened to our much-loved son. We are grateful to South Yorkshire Police for helping us to draw a line under this specific aspect as a result of their time-consuming and considered approach to the investigation.

“As a family, our emotional reaction is to feel that, after so much effort over the past 16 years, we remain no closer to discovering what has happened to Andrew. We should like to thank the media and the public for their support and help for so many years, but ask that our privacy is respected.

“The essentials of Andrew’s case remain unchanged and we have nothing further to add. We do not wish to participate in any interview at this time and consider the matter closed, thanks to the painstaking work of the police.

“Details of Andrew’s case are readily available online and as always, we continue to appeal to the public to pass any information they may have to Missing People (116000) or to the police (101).

“Thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.”

-

You can just hear that Kevin is crushed. I wish I could hug him. This statement hurts just to read, and in pure Gosden family form, he thinks of the men affected by the investigation and wishes them healing. This horrible thing couldn't have happened to a better family, truly, and it's heartbreaking.
"Mr Gosden said: 'It was just so, so normal in our house, in our family, until he vanished. You go over and over, in your mind, all the possibilities that might exist for why he might have chosen to disappear, and we can’t come up with anything at all.'"

I know in this article his father meant *if he chose* to disappear. I don't think that is what Andrew wanted (chose) to happen, though.

I was recently reading an unrelated case in which a mistrial was declared, because after 3 years of trying, the F.B.I. had finally cracked the code to open a victim's cell phone while a trial was already underway. So there may be hope yet, that the devices seized in Andrew's case will have needed information on them. In other words, investigators may still be trying to get all of the data... JMO/IMO.
I know it's unrelated, but could you please link it? That's very interesting.
https://www.southyorks.police.uk/fi...=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Orlo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back