UK UK - Andrew Gosden, 14, Doncaster, South Yorks, 14 Sept 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a new age progression photo of Andrew been released today

New photo of missing Andrew Gosden released - SYP

I'm fairly confident they're looking for a body in this case but I can understand why his family would never give up that little bit of hope. Hopefully they finally get closure either way in the near future, I can't imagine the hell of not knowing for this long, It's been over a decade now!

I still believe he is alive.

I do believe Andrew is alive as well. One factor that leads me to this conclusion is the plea that police made to the Country's Healthcare professionals requesting that if they have treated him or he comes in for treatment to contact authorities.

28 October 2019:

Andrew Gosden: New 'aged' image of boy missing for 12 years

3ECEF869-4639-43BA-9760-9DB334EC52B1.jpeg

A new "aged" photograph has been released of a boy who disappeared when he was 14 years old.

Andrew Gosden walked out of the family home in Doncaster on 14 September 2007.

He was spotted on CCTV arriving on a train at London's King Cross station but despite an extensive police investigation he has not been seen since.

The image shows how Andrew could look as a 26-year-old and without wearing his glasses.

A24E0FF0-07C9-4273-8D13-165CF5E4D109.jpeg

Andrew Gosden was last seen on CCTV at King's Cross train station in London

New 'aged' image of boy missing for 12 years

A new photograph of #missing Andrew Gosden has been released today as part of a refreshed appeal for information from Andrew's father Kevin. Specific features of Andrew's appearance & character can be found on Kevin's blog: Searching for Andrew: what to look for… … (1/2) @andrew_gosden

View attachment 211730

Thanks for this HayLouise. That link took me to a website I'd not seen before. I listened to 3/4 of a podcast about Andrew - it was really insightful. I had to end it prematurely but I'm back home now and going to finish it. I thought it had ended when the podcast presenter started advertising other shows but glad I wandered away as when I came back he was then debated all the minutae and possibilities that might have happened to Andrew.

Its on this page. Its down the bottom called The Vanishing of Andrew Gosden - Trace Evidence.

Videos/Podcasts

Last edited by a moderator:
Det Insp Andy Knowles, who is leading the South Yorkshire Police investigation, said he hoped the new image would "jog someone's memory".

"Andrew has now been missing 12 years and his family are understandably desperate for any answers that may help them understand what happened to their loved one," he said.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to once more appeal to Andrew directly. Andrew, know that you can contact us completely confidentially, let us know you are safe so we can reassure your family that you have come to no harm."

New 'aged' image of boy missing for 12 years

Interesting that the new sketch has no glasses, wonder if that's because they think he's intentionally changed his appearance. Actually just read the article, the new image is the same except without glasses and with a different haircut that's much closer to his hair in his missing pictures as a kid. Hopefully this sparks someones memory if he is indeed alive, sadly i have my doubts.

So first post ! Wondered whether the wrong phone number for andrew's parents was coincidental ? Just seems very odd. He had a sister who was at the same school maybe, surely check her records if first number not working. Can it be changed online by parents themselves or anyone else for that matter ie andrew or a teacher. It would certainly buy extra time for andrew before his disappearance was discovered.
Also what struck me was the lack of detail about andrew's personality. Yes he was bright, gifted, bit of a loner but that can't be everything - did he take risks, was he confident, assertive, shy - we just don't seem to know. Such a sad sad case.

So first post ! Wondered whether the wrong phone number for andrew's parents was coincidental ? Just seems very odd. He had a sister who was at the same school maybe, surely check her records if first number not working. Can it be changed online by parents themselves or anyone else for that matter ie andrew or a teacher. It would certainly buy extra time for andrew before his disappearance was discovered.
Also what struck me was the lack of detail about andrew's personality. Yes he was bright, gifted, bit of a loner but that can't be everything - did he take risks, was he confident, assertive, shy - we just don't seem to know. Such a sad sad case.

We do, for starters - he spoke quietly but quickly and often made jokes mid sentence.

Good thought re phone call from school. I guess they assumed the parents weren't home. Schools can be like that. We once had to wait 3 days for a another child's parents to reply to a serious discipline case as the school couldn't make contact on the phone. It happens.

I've just caught up with this thread. I did read about this case over the years but before I realised Web Sleuths was a 'thing'. One thing that struck me was a few things I could relate to. At 14 to everyone who knew me I was in a happy home. My family would have said I was happy. However I was unhappy at home and also different to my family in that I lived for alternative music and particular bands. It was the only thing that kept any impetus. I had the impression the family wanted a standard boring work life for me without much ambition after school and though I didn't vocalise it, because I was quiet at home, I kept it internalised as teenagers can do. I kept searching for ways to leave the family. Earning part-time work money I would spend it on music, music T shirts and going to gigs. My family had no idea that after I disappeared to my room I would sneak out of the window and go from the countryside into a city and go to gigs. I was never ever caught or found out. I was always there in the morning. I used the fact that they never bothered to say goodnight assuming I was asleep. They believed my old pattern of living. I did leave the classic rolled up hump in the bed to look like a person in the dark, just in case. Now if at this point I had gone missing, they would have not believed I was the type of teenager to do what I just explained I did and I did it regularly. I also went into clubs. I gave the outward appearance of being 'good'. I was still good, I just wanted a different life. A few years later I eventually left home after telling an estranged family member (who I knew would relate to my problem) that I c ouldn't stand it any more, plus there had been a family argument. It was stifling to live in a boring home when there was music and bands out there that brought me alive. The estranged family member offered to meet me and put me up - which they did. I never went home. Once the opportunity to get out was presented to me, I took it. I wasn't a bad teenager at all, didn't do anything bad at all really, but I wanted out.

If I relate a bit to Andrew (minus the gaming as it was pre home gaming period for me) I would agree with the other poster who suggests he met someone (probably at the summer camp mentioned in here) who gave him their number (also of note when I was fourteen I was staying at my grandmother's house, I met a lad one afternoon in the area who gave me his name and number. I never did anything with it, but it also seemed to me like a contact to potentially meet someone different to my boring life.). I think he went out to meet that person that day (carefully planning the clothes in the washing machine to buy him some time) but once he met them , was convinced not to return home because 'look what I have here to offer you' and it was far more exciting than home. I think he was the Andyroo online who said he left home at 14 and had been living with a partner (male or female) for ten years. If I had been offered that at 14 or 15 I would have seriously considered it. I think he laid low for a very long time and changed his appearance. I too changed my appearance significantly once I left home but only because I wasn't bound by rules of the family and could be as outrageous as I want. I wonder if he began to wear black make up and really changed his looks to suit how he really wanted to look. That would make him unidentifiable and look older too?

I think Andrew is still alive. If he is still alive I hope he considers telling someone to tell his family he is okay as I think it so cruel on the family the not knowing. But it must be so hard to do this. I think you can do it anonymously via Missing Persons charity, can't you?

Thank you so much for sharing your personal story about your own teenage experience. I really believe this is the way we should be thinking when we look at his case. If Andrew's actions on the day of his disappearance (and even before that) seem uncharacteristic of normal, obedient behavior, then maybe that's because something had been brewing in him that he intentionally kept to himself. It doesn't have to be that he had a troubled life or household—maybe he saw his life as unfulfilling and he wanted a change.

I feel like this could be a two-way street. On the one hand we have a 14-year-old who is beginning to experience what it's like to have independence, privacy and the like. I'm sure many of us here remember adolescence, not wanting parents or siblings to learn certain things about you, wanting time to yourself etc. The flip side is what I'm seeing now in me as the 37-year-old uncle of a 12-year-old. Because I know that when I was his age, I didn't want people prying into my personal things, I now err on the side of respecting his privacy and personal space for fear of making him uncomfortable. Maybe that's what Andrew's parents did too, when all the signs were there—similar to, if I may say, your parents' respecting the privacy of your own room, missing the fact that you often snuck out.

I really think he's alive and just living his own life. He may regret what happened, but figures it's too late now to come back.

Absolutely. Its comes up a lot. The fact this mystery person has left home at 14 (apparently) is the more important detail, its just when you combine this detail with the "andyroo" detail it narrows it down so much that it is very likely to be Andrew Gosden. I am confident it is him and i usually would not say that.

This "andyroo" person was apparently located and heard from in an area just outside AG's hometown if i remember rightly, this could also be another clue that it is him because he knows the area and people there, it could be the person who helped him survive all these years may also live in this area.

I would need to dig back earlier in this thread to remember the location mentioned. One can only hope the info given to LE wasn't a lie to mislead.

Snipped by me to shorten. Does anyone know where this Andyroo was located?

Thank you so much for sharing your personal story about your own teenage experience. I really believe this is the way we should be thinking when we look at his case. If Andrew's actions on the day of his disappearance (and even before that) seem uncharacteristic of normal, obedient behavior, then maybe that's because something had been brewing in him that he intentionally kept to himself. It doesn't have to be that he had a troubled life or household—maybe he saw his life as unfulfilling and he wanted a change.

I feel like this could be a two-way street. On the one hand we have a 14-year-old who is beginning to experience what it's like to have independence, privacy and the like. I'm sure many of us here remember adolescence, not wanting parents or siblings to learn certain things about you, wanting time to yourself etc. The flip side is what I'm seeing now in me as the 37-year-old uncle of a 12-year-old. Because I know that when I was his age, I didn't want people prying into my personal things, I now err on the side of respecting his privacy and personal space for fear of making him uncomfortable. Maybe that's what Andrew's parents did too, when all the signs were there—similar to, if I may say, your parents' respecting the privacy of your own room, missing the fact that you often snuck out.

I really think he's alive and just living his own life. He may regret what happened, but figures it's too late now to come back.

Thank you. I think the same. But its never too late to come back. Just seems overwhelming. The way to do it is slowly through Missing People charity. One step at a time. OR if not then getting a message back home at the very least with info only the family would know, so it was certain it was him. It must be terrible never knowing, but caring enough to care so much. You don't have to come back but you can let them know.

London.. he had been there before with family/ had relations there.. whenever they stayed with family there did he meet young ppl like himself (goth tendencies) hang out with them as they lived near his relatives? It was just after summer hols , had they stayed with family in London that summer?! Had he hung around with teens whilst there??
Apologies I’m new on here my mind is racing...
This disappearance breaks my heart .

Good point. I don't know... anyone know? Did you listen to the podcast about him going missing? There is a link further up. I learnt quite lot from that.

I agree.

I see a lot of myself in Andrew. I attempted to run away from home at 15 and packed extremely light - just a couple of articles of clothing and a handful of cash. When you're in that mindset, and especially at that age, you're not exactly thinking rationally. To me, that measly amount of cash was enough to last me however long I needed it to.

I do wonder if Andrew was dealing with a lot of bullying at school. According to his peers he was picked on "a bit" but did they really know the extent of it? It could have been far worse than they realised. Even if it wasn't much, it could've taken a massive toll on him regardless. Andrew was a short, alternative, intelligent and quiet lad - I hate to say it but these traits really do make him a prime target for bullying. I say this from my own personal experience and I don't mean for it to come off as rude in any way.

If he really did run away and is still out there somewhere, I'm curious where he went initially? An angle I've considered that I haven't seen brought up is that maybe he sought out a kind of... youth hostel? Perhaps he told them he ran away from an abusive home and was scared of being forced back, so the workers didn't inform the police as they were concerned. Is this a possibility at all? I just can't imagine a 14 year old going anywhere else except a place like this. Would he really have been homeless? Or staying with someone?

I agree.

I see a lot of myself in Andrew. I attempted to run away from home at 15 and packed extremely light - just a couple of articles of clothing and a handful of cash. When you're in that mindset, and especially at that age, you're not exactly thinking rationally. To me, that measly amount of cash was enough to last me however long I needed it to.

I do wonder if Andrew was dealing with a lot of bullying at school. According to his peers he was picked on "a bit" but did they really know the extent of it? It could have been far worse than they realised. Even if it wasn't much, it could've taken a massive toll on him regardless. Andrew was a short, alternative, intelligent and quiet lad - I hate to say it but these traits really do make him a prime target for bullying. I say this from my own personal experience and I don't mean for it to come off as rude in any way.

If he really did run away and is still out there somewhere, I'm curious where he went initially? An angle I've considered that I haven't seen brought up is that maybe he sought out a kind of... youth hostel? Perhaps he told them he ran away from an abusive home and was scared of being forced back, so the workers didn't inform the police as they were concerned. Is this a possibility at all? I just can't imagine a 14 year old going anywhere else except a place like this. Would he really have been homeless? Or staying with someone?

I'm in temptation to react on this but I don't want to get into my personal story that much. Let me say this when I ran away from home there was a lovely lady who saw my desperation, a young girl alone asking for directions...she gave me food, talked to me and managed to get info out of me...so she called my parents....maybe I was better off...I will never know....I still remember her sweetness....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288