• Location Last Seen: London, England, United Kingdom
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
  • Race: White
  • Weight at Time of Disappearance: Slim build
  • Hair Color: Black hair, short
  • Eye color: Blue
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Tony

Circumstances of Disappearance

Tony disappeared from his flat in Camberwell, south London on October 11, 1995. Despite belonging to a close family and having many friends, Tony has not been in touch with anyone since.

The Doe Network: Anthony Donnellan - 3545DMUK
Help us find Anthony Donnellan

Last edited:
Appeal by his sister in 2008

Message: My brother went missing 11th October,1995, he lived in Camberwell, he worked in Harvey Nicholas in the Fifth Floor Bar, he was also known as Tony,he is from Co.Clare in Southern Ireland.

We pray everyday that we will hear something about him.We are all living in hope,its been along time,we have tried everything to find him. Our mother pasted away three years ago not knowing where her son is. If anyone has any information on Anthony Donnellan, please get in touch. He was 29 years of age when he went missing.

https://missing-you.net/people/anthony-donnellan-109518.php

(few lines of the article respectfully bolded by me for importance)

8 JUL 2015 -
'We know he's dead but we need closure': Heartbroken sister of missing Tony Donnellan's appeal 20 years on

Screen-Shot-2015-07-07-at-223929.png

The heartbroken sister of a man who vanished two decades ago has pleaded for information to end her family’s suffering.

Tony Donnellan, who was 29 when he disappeared, had left his home on a small farm in West Clare to start a new life in London almost a decade earlier.

He seemed to be happy and was making plans for his future when his sister Dolores met him in Leicester Square just days before he vanished in October 1995.

When she was told Tony was missing, Dolores, who also moved to the English capital when she was 21 in 1990, presumed her happy-go-lucky brother had just gone off to visit friends.

But 20 years on, the Donnellan family still have no idea what happened to him.

Their mother Peggy died 11 years ago, tortured to the grave by the mystery of what became of her youngest son. Their dad is now 86 and in a nursing home in their native Kilrush.

And while they’ve long accepted Tony is dead, they have no idea if he took his own life or if something more sinister happened.

But speaking exclusively to the Irish Mirror from her home in Lanzarote, Dolores said: “no one can disappear into thin air”.

Fighting back tears, the 46-year-old - revealed: “We don’t believe he’s alive – especially because of mam. They were so close and he’d never have let her suffer and die without saying goodbye.

“We just don’t know and we need closure. We want to give him a proper burial. You can’t bury your own body so someone knows something. I won’t let him be forgotten.”

Tony came out as gay to his siblings and even though he never had the courage to tell his parents, he had a partner in London.

He and Dolores used to meet up once a week and the last night she ever saw him they had dinner and then went to see Braveheart in the cinema.

It’s a night she has played over and over again in her head in a desperate attempt to recall anything that might give her a clue as to what became of Tony.

The family even hired a private detective when the police case hit a brick wall - but there hasn’t been a single lead.

And now almost 20 years on, Dolores is appealing to anyone with even the smallest snippet of information to come forward.

She said: “When I look back, I feel I could have done more. I should have asked more questions.

“The only thing that still niggles me is that his back was bad. He had fallen off his bike and that was annoying him. He was more subdued than normal.”

It was Tony’s ex boyfriend who reported him missing and when cops searched his house, the only thing they found was an envelope with £1,000 inside with Dolores’ name written on it.

She told the Irish Mirror: “The money in the envelope was weird but that’s all there was. Bizarrely mum rang from home just after I heard Tony was missing and she just said she had a weird feeling that something was wrong.

He spoiled mum and was always bringing her presents, they were so close.
“It was really hard on her. She kept thinking he’d come back some day.
“I was at home for six weeks with her when she was dying and she kept asking for him. She kept saying she might see him up in heaven.”

She added: “It’s torture, it’s horrible. He was such a good guy.

'We know he's dead but we need closure': Heartbroken sister of missing Tony Donnellan's appeal 20 years on

Last edited:
So what are the possibilities here?

1. Suicide - can never be ruled out but seemed to be comfortable being gay, had a boyfriend, a steady job and was making plans for the future. The only thing I can think of is that he might have been diagnosed with HIV but couldn't face it.

2. Walkaway - similar to 1 above.

3. Murder - either by a casual attack, homophobic or not, or a targeted attack by someone.

If it was suicide, it's difficult to see where he could have killed himself in or around Greater London without his remains being found in the past 20+ years. I understand that the Thames river police don't believe it's very common at all for bodies that go into the Thames not to be found so that's unlikely. The largest area into which to disappear in the region is Epping Forest, where organised crime does dispose of victims but a suicide obviously wouldn't be buried and I'd have expected him to be found by now if he had committed suicide there.

As to murder, if he was attacked on the street he would have been left there by his assailant and found very quickly. Londonn has had several well known serial killers who targeted gay men but both Dennis Nilsen and Colin Ireland were both behind bars in 1995.

Going from the information provided by the family it is more than likely that he is deceased due to close ties with them up to his disappearance and then suddenly nothing. Being gay unfortunately puts him also in higher risk category.

What interest me - there is mention of a partner and also ex- partner. Were those two separate people or the same person? Was this recent separation? And if two people, why his partner did not report him missing rather then leaving it to ex to do it? Also, a bit strange for ex to report it. I know many people are on good terms with their exes but not on such a bases that after day or two they know person is missing... Did they still lived together?

For me two scenarios - ex partner/partner or new love interest/one night stand.
Reality is stranger then fiction, so other scenarious can't be ruled out completely either.

Camberwell, south London - is near by Vauxhall (know for big gay clubbing scene), Brixton (lots of venues too) and Clapham Common (lots of outgoing places too)
Google Maps
Interestingly, even though absolutely not related, Camberwell is just next to Peckham, where 3 years later, in 1998 Carmel Fenech Purdy disappeared.

For me two scenarios - ex partner/partner or new love interest/one night stand.

I thought after I posted earlier that there is a fourth scenario - the hook-up gone wrong. It's simply a fact that gay men tend to be incredibly promiscuous, including those supposedly in committed relationships. Although 1995 was at the heart of the safe sex campaign then being targeted at gay men, the reality is that the culture of hook-ups and promiscuity continued unabated in at least some parts of the gay community so I don't think the hook-up gone wrong possibility can be ruled out at all.

The question is that if this was a hook-up gone wrong where's the body? It could have been an accidental death in the course of a normal consensual encounter, or it could have been the result of him falling into the hands of a currently unknown serial killer. I'm absolutely convinced that there are, and have been, serial killers out there that we haven't noticed, let alone identified, yet.

So what are the possibilities here?

1. Suicide - can never be ruled out but seemed to be comfortable being gay, had a boyfriend, a steady job and was making plans for the future. The only thing I can think of is that he might have been diagnosed with HIV but couldn't face it.

2. Walkaway - similar to 1 above.

3. Murder - either by a casual attack, homophobic or not, or a targeted attack by someone.

If it was suicide, it's difficult to see where he could have killed himself in or around Greater London without his remains being found in the past 20+ years. I understand that the Thames river police don't believe it's very common at all for bodies that go into the Thames not to be found so that's unlikely. The largest area into which to disappear in the region is Epping Forest, where organised crime does dispose of victims but a suicide obviously wouldn't be buried and I'd have expected him to be found by now if he had committed suicide there.

As to murder, if he was attacked on the street he would have been left there by his assailant and found very quickly. Londonn has had several well known serial killers who targeted gay men but both Dennis Nilsen and Colin Ireland were both behind bars in 1995.
It’s so odd there’s no height, fingerprints, dna or dentals available!

As sad as it is, because no dentals, dna or fingerprints are available according to the Doe network , Tony could have been washed up by the sea and been unidentified . The missing persons bureau run by the police has unidentified bodies. Sorry that sounds grim, Im just thinking how many families of these unidentified bodies don’t have closure they deserve.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517
Back