UK - Anthony Parsons, 63, charity cyclist, found deceased, Argyll, Scotland, 29 Sept 2017 *Arrests*

I have thought of another scenario that should be taken into consideration regarding Tony's disappearance. The police have an unconfirmed sighting of him leaving the Bridge of Orchy heading towards Tyndrum on the main road. This has always puzzled me as my initial gut instinct took me to the WHW.. Because of this sighting i explored the possibility that he well may have turned right and went down the glen orchy road , which really doesn't make sense as it takes him farther away and Tony would had been well aware of this. So i'm returning to my original theory and incorporating the alleged sighting. Around 3 miles away on the main road towards Tyndrum there is a left turn into Auch. This junction would take you onto the WHW. For some unbeknown reason Tony left the road at this point to join it. But tony didn't actually follow the WHW he took the route the Glen Lyon. I still think crossing the ford near Auch was his downfall.

The Glen Lyon route is another possibility. I did ask the police about this but I didn't hear much on the matter.

Tony possibly took the WHW/old military road from Glencoe ski centre over to Bridge of Orchy and then possibly continued on that route towards Tyndrum. A lorry drivers possible sighting may indicate that he was on the main road for a short time. He then may have branched off towards Glen Lyon or continued down to Tyndrum bypassing CCTV in the village and headed towards Crianlarich.

Tony possibly took the WHW/old military road from Glencoe ski centre over to Bridge of Orchy and then possibly continued on that route towards Tyndrum. A lorry drivers possible sighting may indicate that he was on the main road for a short time. He then may have branched off towards Glen Lyon or continued down to Tyndrum bypassing CCTV in the village and headed towards Crianlarich.

you could be correct..We know for definite that he was at the Bridge of Orchy hotel. Also i know he had a problem with is backpack as he got assistance from a worker at the hotel. This may be a factor for him coming off the main road. I myself think he did not cycle all the way to Tyndrum by the main road. He may have went down to Auch to look for a B&B...as there is cottages there.

I live near to Tillicoultry and have hiked in the area Tony was last seen. When I first read about this In the local paper I was sure he’d be found near to the road somewhere but nothing.

I then started thinking about the situation. The climb out of Glencoe is one hell of an undertaking even for a keen cyclist so I can imagine he was tired by the time he reached Bridge of Orchy. If he stopped there, did he have food or drink? Did he ask for accommodation?

I imagine the answer at that time of night is a no and he could only buy a drink due to the kitchen being closed. He’d be tired and extremely low on energy. The road to Tyndrum from here is mostly flat or downhill so would be easy normally but not after undertaking Glencoe with no food before continuing.

I then think what would I do if I was in that condition? I would look for shelter and rest for a bit or overnight. All along that road are forested areas which would provide shelter, and with a bike you wouldn’t want to go in too far. My opinion is that Tony passed away in one of these areas and unfortunately the search parties have missed him when checking - if they did even check these areas.

why the police don’t release info on whether he ate, weather conditions and where they have searched is beyond me, would help narrow the search more. Even if the family creates a page with this info it could help any future searches.

I doubt he went on any detours when he would have been physically exhausted, it’s just a waste of energy he probably never had at that point.

Last edited:
I live near to Tillicoultry and have hiked in the area Tony was last seen. When I first read about this In the local paper I was sure he’d be found near to the road somewhere but nothing.

I then started thinking about the situation. The climb out of Glencoe is one hell of an undertaking even for a keen cyclist so I can imagine he was tired by the time he reached Bridge of Orchy. If he stopped there, did he have food or drink? Did he ask for accommodation?

I imagine the answer at that time of night is a no and he could only buy a drink due to the kitchen being closed. He’d be tired and extremely low on energy. The road to Tyndrum from here is mostly flat or downhill so would be easy normally but not after undertaking Glencoe with no food before continuing.

I then think what would I do if I was in that condition? I would look for shelter and rest for a bit or overnight. All along that road are forested areas which would provide shelter, and with a bike you wouldn’t want to go in too far. My opinion is that Tony passed away in one of these areas and unfortunately the search parties have missed him when checking - if they did even check these areas.

why the police don’t release info on whether he ate, weather conditions and where they have searched is beyond me, would help narrow the search more. Even if the family creates a page with this info it could help any future searches.

I doubt he went on any detours when he would have been physically exhausted, it’s just a waste of energy he probably never had at that point.

Yep, the seeking shelter would make sense, although a lot of the forest is fenced off from the main road most of the way. There is currently a lot of forestry work ongoing in the area so it's only a matter of time to see if that theory is correct.

If Tony had taken the main road then he would have been found by now as the police favoured this idea and concentrated on this route.

After 2 years of going through every likely scenario and visiting the area i have now come to a conclusion. I am very confident of this and got help from some people.
Tony left the bridge of orchy hotel and he did indeed set of on the main road heading towards Tyndrum. He was seen by a lorry driver and just after this he stopped at the bridge that spanned the Allt Kinglass river. He stopped to relieve himself and walked down the steps to the river. There he had an accident and slipped on the wet rocks. He was quickly swept away towards the river orchy to his death. I believe his body still lies somewhere in the river orchy waiting to be found. The police have overlooked this likely scenario.

After 2 years of going through every likely scenario and visiting the area i have now come to a conclusion. I am very confident of this and got help from some people.
Tony left the bridge of orchy hotel and he did indeed set of on the main road heading towards Tyndrum. He was seen by a lorry driver and just after this he stopped at the bridge that spanned the Allt Kinglass river. He stopped to relieve himself and walked down the steps to the river. There he had an accident and slipped on the wet rocks. He was quickly swept away towards the river orchy to his death. I believe his body still lies somewhere in the river orchy waiting to be found. The police have overlooked this likely scenario.
What about his bike? Would he have left it near the road or carried it with him?

Yep, this scenario is looking quite likely.

What i'd like to add is that I couldn't for life of me think of a valid reason for him to stop. This was the crucial piece of evidence that was missing for to enable me to fill in the blanks. I knew he went into the Allt Kinglass but the nearer to Tyndrum it is the less dangerous it is...So thinking he crossed the ford disasterously at Auch was going to be my initial thinking. I have visited the area on 4 different occasions and have cycled all alternative routes. There are 4 possible routes but 2 are highly unlikely and to perish on 2 of them would need another's interference i.e hit by a car. So that leaves 2 possible routes. The old military road and the main road...the military road has only one danger and that is the ford at Auch and quite frankly this area has been thoroughly searched and he would have been found. So that only leaves the main road. The only time the river comes near the road is a quarter of a mile away from the hotel at the bridge. this is the place he stopped to relieve himself. I have contacted the police with this version of the story but I doubt very much if they will do anything about it . For me now this story has now came to an end and I have enjoyed all the twists. I am going back up very shortly when the lockdown ends. Ironically the river will be well down and this would be perfect time to conduct a search. I leave it in the polices hands.

Police and volunteer search uncovered nothing from Bridge of Orchy to Tyndrum, or from Tyndrum to Crianlarich. Plenty of people walk to routes in the area and with extensive forestry work ongoing it's unlikely he is off-road somewhere. The deepest bodies of water in the area are Loch Tulla and the River Orchy which flows from it. He's clearly not been kidnapped or lying at the side of the road. Searching the River Orchy from the dam up to the bridge wouldn't be too difficult.

Police and volunteer search uncovered nothing from Bridge of Orchy to Tyndrum, or from Tyndrum to Crianlarich. Plenty of people walk to routes in the area and with extensive forestry work ongoing it's unlikely he is off-road somewhere. The deepest bodies of water in the area are Loch Tulla and the River Orchy which flows from it. He's clearly not been kidnapped or lying at the side of the road. Searching the River Orchy from the dam up to the bridge wouldn't be too difficult.
If I were the police I would search from the bridge on the main road (where he went in)to the new bridge that spans the orchy that if cycled would take 37 minutes. that I know because I've done it.

Does anyone know what the situation around the river Orchy is...did they search it at all i.e the banks and did they use divers?

I just caught up on this thread; the last time I looked at it was shortly after I wrote my blog post and linked to the reddit thread. I have a few comments to make on various things that have been said.

One was regarding Parsons' clothing indicating a possible intention to leave the bike for a walk, e.g. the walking boots. I think this is pretty unremarkable: these boots are merely waterproof and coupled with his camo trousers (also probably waterproof) would be a cheap way to get some protection from the elements in Scotland where it rains all the time. I doubt an infrequent cyclist (a guess - given how overweight he was) without the best gear for a long distance cycle (not a road bike, a backpack instead of panniers, apparently some low quality lights) would invest in proper waterproof cycling gear - especially for charity. Also on the charity angle: a likely reluctance to pay for a hotel room, especially the £100-odd you'd have to pay on the West Highland Way.

Did someone say his light was faulty? How do we know this? No police report mentions this as far as I know.

I doubt the hotel staff sent him over the bridge at Bridge of Orchy and along the opposite side of the river. They are eastern European but they're not malicious. And they know enough to know how to get to Tyndrum, and that doesn't involve crossing that bridge. It seems like any discussion he might have had with them would have been over the next closest hotels or hostels, which would without a doubt have been Tyndrum.

Someone said there are many B&Bs in Bridge of Orchy. There are not. There were at the time and still are two, one near the hotel and the other up the hill. They only have one or two bedrooms, and during this time of year perhaps the owners may already have stopped doing business for the off-season. And, at 11:30pm the lights will have probably been off, as no B&B owner expects people to show up so late looking for a room. They would have looked thoroughly uninviting. The hostel at the station is not well signed from the road so he may not have known it was there, plus again the lights might have been out, the owners asleep, full, etc.

Another thing, probably not a big deal but worth saying: if he was exhausted by the time he got to Bridge of Orchy, having arrived either by the A82 or the military road from Glen Coe, and looking for a cheap hotel in Tyndrum 6 miles away - he might have looked at his two paths towards Tyndrum - A82 and West Highland Way - and seen that from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel the A82 is a long gradual downward slope whereas the West Highland Way begins with an uphill slog for 100-200 m - he might have picked the former to avoid the extra climb. Since he was apparently sighted 0.5 miles along the A82, this seems more likely so I don't really believe he went onto the West Highland Way at Bridge of Orchy. He might have done it at Auch though.

The lorry driver sighting 0.5 miles along the A82 towards Tyndrum - if believed - probably tells us he stuck out like a sore thumb in his high-vis vest, weird attire and inappropriate equipment. Traffic will not have been so quiet that someone else didn't pass him by car if he was still cycling along the A82 if he stayed on it for long enough. There are some forests along the road to Tyndrum (e.g. at the top of the hill above Tyndrum where the West Highland Way, train line and A82 all go down to Tyndrum in the same narrow valley). My best guess so far is that he might have gone into some trees somewhere in the 6 miles between Bridge of Orchy and Tyndrum to get some cover from the elements and try to sleep - but died for some reason. Were these areas ever searched?

I still find the Glen Orchy route hypotheses unlikely. Standing on the A82 looking down into Glen Orchy you would see nothing but darkness. Nothing on the signpost suggests this is the correct route home or to Tyndrum, so the only reason he'd choose to go that way would be if his destination was not intended to be Tyndrum or anywhere near home - rather Dalmally or a village further along. If his lights were faulty (how do we know that?) then it would have been obvious to any normal person that it would have been better to stay on the A82 with the good surface and occasional light from cars showing where to go, or even possibility of a lift, if he didn't consider it cheating by that point. That said, someone surely would have noticed a 63 year old overweight guy wearing strange clothes on a mountain bike in the middle of the night, which is why it's still so confusing he went missing.

Another thing about the timing: he started on a Friday and was not reported missing for a few days. Perhaps he intended to take the whole weekend, sleeping rough in the wilderness along the way, and told his family and friends such, so they weren't concerned until he didn't show up on Sunday? That would explain his incredibly late start at Fort William too.

The fact this was for charity and the clothing Parsons was wearing makes me think he just intended to prop up against a tree and slog it out until morning instead of sleeping in hotels/hostels. It gets cold in the night in September but - ok, I'm really pushing it here - he was probably not bothered by cold sea breezes from his Navy days. I originally suggested hypothermia in my blog post but I now find this unlikely given the time of year and available cover from strong wind and rain (forests etc.). I think a big guy like Parsons could lay down in a forest and make it through the night without too much discomfort. I suggest searching the forests along the A82 before Tyndrum if that wasn't already done.

Last edited:
I just caught up on this thread; the last time I looked at it was shortly after I wrote my blog post and linked to the reddit thread. I have a few comments to make on various things that have been said.

One was regarding Parsons' clothing indicating a possible intention to leave the bike for a walk, e.g. the walking boots. I think this is pretty unremarkable: these boots are merely waterproof and coupled with his camo trousers (also probably waterproof) would be a cheap way to get some protection from the elements in Scotland where it rains all the time. I doubt an infrequent cyclist (a guess - given how overweight he was) without the best gear for a long distance cycle (not a road bike, a backpack instead of panniers, apparently some low quality lights) would invest in proper waterproof cycling gear - especially for charity. Also on the charity angle: a likely reluctance to pay for a hotel room, especially the £100-odd you'd have to pay on the West Highland Way.

Did someone say his light was faulty? How do we know this? No police report mentions this as far as I know.

I doubt the hotel staff sent him over the bridge at Bridge of Orchy and along the opposite side of the river. They are eastern European but they're not malicious. And they know enough to know how to get to Tyndrum, and that doesn't involve crossing that bridge. It seems like any discussion he might have had with them would have been over the next closest hotels or hostels, which would without a doubt have been Tyndrum.

Someone said there are many B&Bs in Bridge of Orchy. There are not. There were at the time and still are two, one near the hotel and the other up the hill. They only have one or two bedrooms, and during this time of year perhaps the owners may already have stopped doing business for the off-season. And, at 11:30pm the lights will have probably been off, as no B&B owner expects people to show up so late looking for a room. They would have looked thoroughly uninviting. The hostel at the station is not well signed from the road so he may not have known it was there, plus again the lights might have been out, the owners asleep, full, etc.

Another thing, probably not a big deal but worth saying: if he was exhausted by the time he got to Bridge of Orchy, having arrived either by the A82 or the military road from Glen Coe, and looking for a cheap hotel in Tyndrum 6 miles away - he might have looked at his two paths towards Tyndrum - A82 and West Highland Way - and seen that from the Bridge of Orchy Hotel the A82 is a long gradual downward slope whereas the West Highland Way begins with an uphill slog for 100-200 m - he might have picked the former to avoid the extra climb. Since he was apparently sighted 0.5 miles along the A82, this seems more likely so I don't really believe he went onto the West Highland Way at Bridge of Orchy. He might have done it at Auch though.

The lorry driver sighting 0.5 miles along the A82 towards Tyndrum - if believed - probably tells us he stuck out like a sore thumb in his high-vis vest, weird attire and inappropriate equipment. Traffic will not have been so quiet that someone else didn't pass him by car if he was still cycling along the A82 if he stayed on it for long enough. There are some forests along the road to Tyndrum (e.g. at the top of the hill above Tyndrum where the West Highland Way, train line and A82 all go down to Tyndrum in the same narrow valley). My best guess so far is that he might have gone into some trees somewhere in the 6 miles between Bridge of Orchy and Tyndrum to get some cover from the elements and try to sleep - but died for some reason. Were these areas ever searched?

I still find the Glen Orchy route hypotheses unlikely. Standing on the A82 looking down into Glen Orchy you would see nothing but darkness. Nothing on the signpost suggests this is the correct route home or to Tyndrum, so the only reason he'd choose to go that way would be if his destination was not intended to be Tyndrum or anywhere near home - rather Dalmally or a village further along. If his lights were faulty (how do we know that?) then it would have been obvious to any normal person that it would have been better to stay on the A82 with the good surface and occasional light from cars showing where to go, or even possibility of a lift, if he didn't consider it cheating by that point. That said, someone surely would have noticed a 63 year old overweight guy wearing strange clothes on a mountain bike in the middle of the night, which is why it's still so confusing he went missing.

Another thing about the timing: he started on a Friday and was not reported missing for a few days. Perhaps he intended to take the whole weekend, sleeping rough in the wilderness along the way, and told his family and friends such, so they weren't concerned until he didn't show up on Sunday? That would explain his incredibly late start at Fort William too.

The fact this was for charity and the clothing Parsons was wearing makes me think he just intended to prop up against a tree and slog it out until morning instead of sleeping in hotels/hostels. It gets cold in the night in September but - ok, I'm really pushing it here - he was probably not bothered by cold sea breezes from his Navy days. I originally suggested hypothermia in my blog post but I now find this unlikely given the time of year and available cover from strong wind and rain (forests etc.). I think a big guy like Parsons could lay down in a forest and make it through the night without too much discomfort. I suggest searching the forests along the A82 before Tyndrum if that wasn't already done.
I assure you the roadside and surrounding areas were search thoroughly and produced zero results. It was me that mentioned that his lights were faulty. The problem wasn't his lights, I found out later that it was his rucksack that was giving him problems. He had to get help from the staff at the hotel-this knowledge was not given out by the police but they told me. I know 100% that he took the main road . I assure you that he is in the Orchy..

I assure you the roadside and surrounding areas were search thoroughly and produced zero results. It was me that mentioned that his lights were faulty. The problem wasn't his lights, I found out later that it was his rucksack that was giving him problems. He had to get help from the staff at the hotel-this knowledge was not given out by the police but they told me. I know 100% that he took the main road . I assure you that he is in the Orchy..
What makes you believe there's no chance he took the WHW out of Bridge of Orchy? I agree it seems likely he took the main road but I wouldn't call it 100%.
And your current theory seems to be that he took the turn-off to Glen Orchy. If he got lost in the water there this would explain why his body and bike haven't been found but I still can't see a good reason why he would have taken that turn-off instead of staying on the main road. There is no reason to go that way, whether you know the area or not, if your intention is to go in the direction towards home (Tillicoultry) or the next closest hotels (Tyndrum). The road sign at the junction from the A82 just says "Glen Orchy". It doesn't say Dalmally or Oban or anything else.

What makes you believe there's no chance he took the WHW out of Bridge of Orchy? I agree it seems likely he took the main road but I wouldn't call it 100%.
And your current theory seems to be that he took the turn-off to Glen Orchy. If he got lost in the water there this would explain why his body and bike haven't been found but I still can't see a good reason why he would have taken that turn-off instead of staying on the main road. There is no reason to go that way, whether you know the area or not, if your intention is to go in the direction towards home (Tillicoultry) or the next closest hotels (Tyndrum). The road sign at the junction from the A82 just says "Glen Orchy". It doesn't say Dalmally or Oban or anything else.
My current theory is that he only went on the main road towards Tyndrum. He was spotted shortly after he left the hotel on that road. He passed the junction that goes to Glen Orchy and just shortly after that is a bridge-it spans the Allt kinglass. He got of his bike at that point to relieve himself. He lifted his bike over the safety barriers and rested it against the wall or fence. Then he proceeded to go down the wooden steps to the river. This is when things things went wrong. He slipped on the rocks and was carried downstream and into the orchy. His bike you may well ask, well that was stolen. This case was much easier than anyone could had imagined. The key to solving this case was in why he stopped.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back