Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #3 *M. Bridger guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Machynlleth is not a little village, though: over 2000 people. Some on the estate might have been aware that he'd moved out of that community, but they wouldn't know to where unless he'd told them.

And yes, he should have notified the DVLA of his change of address, but I wonder how many people remember to do that as soon as they move?

that is a small population. I came from a town with a population of about 7000 and people know where you were or what people were doing almost immediately, within a day at most.

I believe police/CPS intentionally held off charging MB as long as law would allow in hopes he would lead them to April's body. Once charged they could no longer interview him if I understand correctly.

@ aust amateur slueth "I came from a town with a population of about 7000 and people know where you were or what people were doing almost immediately, within a day at most."

Quite a nosey lot then eh.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think that actual charges would be made against this man without evidence. What good would that do police, to charge someone without solid evidence? They want to have the person who actually did this and that can be convicted based on the evidence. I think it is naive to think they do not have evidence, just because he does not seem to have the "right" kind of background to murder a child, etc...

I also think it is naive to believe that they are basing charges on what a 7-year old said. Yes, she may have had the color of the vehicle wrong, but if the vehicle of this man turned up evidence of April's murder, as we know his home seems to have, what difference does it make if she had the color wrong?

Also, early charges of murder in a case without the body are rare, and
I do not think they are ever made lightly.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think that actual charges would be made against this man without evidence. What good would that do police, to charge someone without solid evidence? They want to have the person who actually did this and that can be convicted based on the evidence. I think it is naive to think they do not have evidence, just because he does not seem to have the "right" kind of background to murder a child, etc...

I also think it is naive to believe that they are basing charges on what a 7-year old said. Yes, she may have had the color of the vehicle wrong, but if the vehicle of this man turned up evidence of April's murder, as we know his home seems to have, what difference does it make if she had the color wrong?

Exactly. The police have almost certainly got strong evidence. Just because it hasn't been printed in the public domain by the media etc doesn't mean they don't have any. They probably have tons of evidence and we won't know about it until the trial.

Just as the CPS said ""I now have to advise that, having carried out a detailed review of the evidence gathered so far by Dyfed-Powys Police, my conclusion is that there is sufficient evidence to charge Mark Bridger with the murder of April Jones, and that it is in the public interest to do so."

The police would not charge him without very good evidence, and i'm positive they have plenty that we just don't know about. And they won't release it as it could affect the trial.

Thank you! It's almost like some people want the police to be wrong.

No offense to anyone but I'd place more trust in the police's DNA evidence than the feelings people get about MB who have nothing to do with the case.

For those interested this is a snippet of the code for Crown Prosecutors:
Prosecutors must be satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to
provide a realistic prospect of conviction against each suspect
on each charge. They must consider what the defence case may
be, and how it is likely to affect the prospects of conviction. A
case which does not pass the evidential stage must not proceed,
no matter how serious or sensitive it may be.

Obviously much more at link: http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/docs/code2010english.pdf

I agree with you cluciano63, and especially what you say about the car. If critical evidence turns up in MB's car, then part of the 7 yr old's report was unreliable; not unusual as eyewitness reports are often fallible. And if LE thought there was a possibility AJ had been transferred from one vehicle to another would the public not have been informed?

When IJ (District Crown Prosecutor) stated there was sufficient evidence to charge MB with murder, he also said:

...''it is in the public interest to do so,''

This means ''to prevent the person from escaping or committing an offense.''

I think that is a significant statement.

Statement from Dyfed Powys Police

Light a candle for April

Mon 08 Oct 2012

At about 7pm this evening, Monday 8th October 2012 Coral and Paul Jones are releasing a Chinese lantern from the garden of their home in Machynlleth, mid Wales in memory of their daughter April.

They are asking friends and neighbours, and anyone else who cares to do so whether they live in Machynlleth, anywhere else in Wales or indeed the United Kingdom to light a small candle at the same time and join them in remembering their beautiful little girl April.

http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/en...ril?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I don't understand why the charges would say murdered between September 30th and October 3rd when she was abducted October 1st and he was arrested October 2nd. Why include the 30th and the 3rd? Is this what they always do when filing charges?

I don't understand why the charges would say murdered between September 30th and October 3rd when she was abducted October 1st and he was arrested October 2nd. Why include the 30th and the 3rd? Is this what they always do when filing charges?

Edit.

I believe it's from midnight on the 30th Sept to midnight on the 3rd Oct. He was arrested at 3:30pm on 2nd Oct on suspicion of child abduction. It wasn't until later that it was announced he had now been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Anyone else get the distinct feeling that this guy will try to commit suicide? I don't know why, the fact that he was crying in court tells me a lot I guess, I just feel it in my waters that he's the type to go down that road.

I hope they watch reeeeeally carefully, I would be gutted if the guy had the final say in his life.

Clu can attest to this too - she's followed A LOT of the same cases. ;)

It is incredibly rare for police to charge for a murder of a child without a body. It's an important distinction. No body cases are rare anyway but almost unheard of in children. There are dozens of cases of 'missing' children most following presume are dead (usually by parental hands) but law enforcement have been slow to consider the victim deceased, slower still to label these disappearances as murder, and downright stagnant at bringing charges forward without a body.

Knowing that, I have to believe whatever evidence they have against MB has to be compelling and utterly damning. MOO

I believe it's from midnight on the 30th Sept to midnight on the 3rd Oct. He was arrested at 3:30pm on 2nd Oct on suspicion of child abduction. It wasn't until later that it was announced he had now been arrested on suspicion of murder.

So, is there a (legal) reason for including time when she was definitely alive and when the suspect was already in custody?

Chinese lanterns and ballons are desperate for wildlife , they kill huge numbers every year ..lighting a candle is perfect , but innocent animals getting caught up in these things is unfair . please rethink it if this is your plan x

Strictly speaking, "between" doesn't include the stated outer limits. For instance, when we say that Exeter is between Truro and Bristol we don't mean that Exeter can be in Truro or Bristol.

Of course, in everyday language we are often less precise - "meet between 3 and 4 o'clock" could including meeting at 3pm or 4pm - but lawyers tend to use language very precisely.

I think everyone is sad at the outcome of this case, frustrated that little April still hasn't been found, angry that MB (if he's the culprit) won't reveal where she is and worried about proof of his guilt/innocence because the police have not given out much info.

One hopes that the police have got it right this time, even if they cannot reveal the evidence.

I just wish they would find little April very soon.

Anyone else get the distinct feeling that this guy will try to commit suicide? I don't know why, the fact that he was crying in court tells me a lot I guess, I just feel it in my waters that he's the type to go down that road.

I hope they watch reeeeeally carefully, I would be gutted if the guy had the final say in his life.

It's funny how cultures vary. In some cultures it would be considered a welcome gesture of contrition or shame for a wrongdoer to commit suicide. And when I think how many families of victims gnash their teeth over the years as stories emerge of the perp having a color TV in his cell, having turkey at xmas, or being allowed out on day release, and then, finally coming up to the end of their term in jail... and how people clamour for the death penalty to return. What exactly *is* this fairly recent phemonenon of objection to a murderer taking their own life?

He was reported as being dishevelled and unshaven too. I would hope he is being watched due to this and his demeanour in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solaria