GUILTY UK - Brianna Ghey, 16, murdered in Culcheth Linear Park, Feb 2023 *2 teenagers charged*

I'm disappointed
They could have got seventeen.

As it is, Justice Yip laid down the law and told them that unless that make real changes, they may never be released, to SJ in particular. As it is, if they are released, that's not free and clear, they will be on licence, able to be imprisoned again for the rest of their lives.

With both sentences? I had hoped SJ would get much longer....but in all honesty I very much doubt she will be released.
Justice Yip made it clear that the reports on her would be part of her permanent record. There's no risk of her being released by a parole board because they didn't know she was a sociopath - it's all there. And she's going to be constantly assessed and studied from now on.

I doubt she will be released, either. I think she's going to just become more dangerous. Crime university, essentially. She's going to learn how to be a better monster. I wouldn't be surprised if, like Dennehy, she attacks or threatens other inmates and staff on the regular.

MOO

Senior Crown Prosecutor Nicola Wyn Williams of CPS Mersey Cheshire’s Complex Casework Unit, said: “This sentencing hearing concludes one of the most disturbing cases that the Crown Prosecution Service has had to deal with.
“At just 16, Scarlett Jenkinson and Eddie Ratcliffe are convicted killers, responsible for the brutal murder of a vulnerable young girl who thought they were her friends. They have been given a life term of imprisonment and have shown no remorse.
“The planning, violence and the age of the killers is beyond belief. The two appear to have had a deadly influence on each other and turned what may have started out as dark fantasies about murder into a reality.
“The messages between the two provided a terrifying insight into the warped desires and fantasies of the two defendants. However, they also provided us with the motivation behind the attack, the plans and then the attempts to cover it up.
“Today’s sentence reflects the brutality of the two killers’ heartless crime – and while it cannot erase the pain of Brianna’s loss, we hope it brings some closure. The Crown Prosecution Service would again like to thank Brianna’s family for the courage and dignity they have shown throughout the proceedings and our thoughts and sympathies remain with them at this difficult time.”

His mother, sat in court, did not react as her son was sentenced, but Jenkinson's mother burst into tears.

His mother, sat in court, did not react as her son was sentenced, but Jenkinson's mother burst into tears.

Jenkinson made no reaction as she was told she must serve more than two decades behind bars. She sat blinking occasionally as she was addressed by the judge and briefly asked a question of her intermediary, or approved adult, sat beside her in the dock.

Ratcliffe, also seated and looking directly in front of him, made no visible reaction as he was sentenced. He was led down to the cells without looking over at his mother, who was sat to the left of the dock.

This was reportedly something she told a mental health worker post trial, not sure it is admissible?

If it was true it would seem strange that it never featured in Eddie's defence as it would surely have helped his case, and explained all the blood on his clothes, rather than the peeing behind a tree and then trying to save Brianna story.

ETA: Judge "says Jenkinson's 'untested' claims made after the trial about the circumstances of the killing will not feature in her findings."

There you go

Boy Y was very foolish not to admit his guilt IMO - might have been able to save himself a few years

Jenkinson made no reaction as she was told she must serve more than two decades behind bars. She sat blinking occasionally as she was addressed by the judge and briefly asked a question of her intermediary, or approved adult, sat beside her in the dock.

Ratcliffe, also seated and looking directly in front of him, made no visible reaction as he was sentenced. He was led down to the cells without looking over at his mother, who was sat to the left of the dock.

I wonder if his mother has been given very strong anti depressants to help her cope with everything ,which might mask her emotions.

I wonder if his mother has been given very strong anti depressants to help her cope with everything ,which might mask her emotions.
I would imagine she's numb by this point. They knew from when the verdict came in last year it was going to be a life sentence. They knew the nature of the crime. They would have known they weren't going to get the bare minimum.

MOO

I would imagine she's numb by this point. They knew from when the verdict came in last year it was going to be a life sentence. They knew the nature of the crime. They would have known they weren't going to get the bare minimum.

MOO

She may even feel such disgust in her child that she can't even show emotion for him. To hear things your child has done must mess you up immensely I imagine.

I actually think the minimum sentences are reasonable - somebody I work with used to teach Eddie they are literally gobsmacked that he’s done this.

I do think that Scarlett was the leader behind the killing and I do not believe she will ever be released as she’s going to be dangerous for the rest of her life.

I used to work with children at a neighbouring PRU to the the Warrington one (I used to work with Stockport) I am very shocked from my experiences that Scarlet managed to get offered a place at Birchwood School after her poisoning a student at Culcheth High - in Stockport no mainstream would agree to having a child like that especially in Year 10.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Brianna’s family.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishman