GUILTY UK - Brighton, male found in deserted building, Jan'20 - Billy Henham *arrests*

One of those squatting in the four-storey building in North Street at the time was Phillip Mallia.

Giving evidence at the trial on Friday, he recalled hearing screams from 'someone in pain' from inside a room before the door opened and he was told by a man to '*advertiser censored** off'.

Mr Mallia, 28, described how a few hours later he saw Hawley, said to have been in charge of the squat, with the bleach bottle and cloth just a few feet from the same room.

'Gregory said "I've got to clean up some blood because someone got seriously hurt last night". [...]

Referring to a second conversation about an hour later, Mr Mallia said he and his partner were told by Hawley that he had been involved in a killing, and how he had then described the efforts made to destroy any forensic evidence.

'Gregory said we couldn't stay there. I said "Why?" and he said "We killed someone last night".

'I was like "Yeah mate, whatever". I didn't believe him,' he told the jury. [...]

'He invited me to see the body. I said "No, I don't want to see the body". But I didn't believe him, to tell you the truth. I thought he was lying, but obviously not.'

The court heard the alleged boasting continued once everyone had moved to a second squat nearby.

[...]

Mr Mallia later picked out Hawley, Gordon-Carew and Meikle in police identity procedures.

Billy Henham was 'beaten unconscious, stripped naked and thrown off balcony on NYE', court hears | Daily Mail Online

This trial's dragging on...

Murder suspect said scene at derelict Brighton building was 'like horror movie'

Two deleted images of the former film and photography student's body - one partially-clothed and one naked - were later found by police on Meikle's phone.

But in a series of interviews following his arrest, 28-year-old Meikle denied any involvement in his death or knowing of 'any altercation' having occurred.

He told detectives that he spotted the body when he went for 'a wander' at the party in the former hotel, restaurant and office complex in North Street.

He described the discovery as 'quite disturbing' and compared it to a horror movie.

But he admitted not alerting police, even though he knew a police van was parked up nearby in the street, as he feared becoming a suspect.

In a recorded interview played to the jury on Tuesday, Meikle could be seen laughing at times, but he grimaced as he explained to detectives what he had seen on the outside terrace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back