Recovered/Located UK - Cardiff - 3 Women & 2 Men Missing, leaving nightclub approx 2am, Newport, 4 March 2023

Also, how did we even hear about the sixth man being dropped off. Another story that I think was doing the rounds before they were found. So who knew about him and told the press?
Yes, I've read about him in a number of places. I had assumed that he'd spoken to police already and that's how it was known that they'd dropped someone off. And a theory that he had been the driver for most of the evening until he left the group.
I would hazard a guess that they might have been drinking as a group of six/left the club as a car of six and seen on CCTC.
The security officers at the caravan park might also have counted how many people were in the car.
Yes, I suppose some people in the club would have noticed that the women left with three men, not two - which does sound more likely.
But how would the security people have known that he was dropped off in Cardiff?

>snipped The investigation aspect, I'm not sure on the law but perhaps something along the lines of Duty of Care of site staff to alerted police or provided a taxi/alternate accommodation???
In the US millions have been paid out in civil suits from establishments (and fraternities) over serving alcohol resulting in fatality, laws vary state to state. This has resulted in some bars, fraternities, and sororities providing transportation to people who are drunk
I know this has also happened in courts in Canada but I don’t know about the rest of the commonwealth.
The only legal penalty I can find in the UK is a £1000 fine.

Licensing Act 2003 - Explanatory Notes
Section 141 of the Licensing Act 2003 makes it an offence to knowingly sell or attempt to sell alcohol to a person who is drunk, or to knowingly allow alcohol to be sold to such a person on licensed premises.

Drinking trends in the UK | Alcohol Change UK
Compared to other countries in Europe, the UK is near the average in terms of overall consumption.
However, it is consistently among the highest for binge drinking. This reflects the fact that, on average, drinking in the UK tends to involve more drunkenness than elsewhere. This, of course, makes it riskier even when the overall amount consumed is lower than some of our neighbours.

Edited to add: I misunderstood, now I see you were questioning liability of the caravan park rather than the pub. I think it would be unlikely to prove liability if they did not provide alcohol before (hypothetically) asking them to leave. Jmo

Last edited:
In the UK if you can stand up and order a pint, you’re getting a pint. I worked in pubs when I was a student and someone would have to be either horizontal or vomiting (or both) to not get served!

Anyway, I strongly suspect the driver had been drinking, though if it is the survivor it might not have been traceable in their blood after so long.

Plenty more to come out about what happened that night, IF people are willing to talk. I imagine the police are hitting some brick walls.

In the UK if you can stand up and order a pint, you’re getting a pint. I worked in pubs when I was a student and someone would have to be either horizontal or vomiting (or both) to not get served!

Anyway, I strongly suspect the driver had been drinking, though if it is the survivor it might not have been traceable in their blood after so long.

Plenty more to come out about what happened that night, IF people are willing to talk. I imagine the police are hitting some brick walls.

Yes to all of that.

Yes, I've read about him in a number of places. I had assumed that he'd spoken to police already and that's how it was known that they'd dropped someone off. And a theory that he had been the driver for most of the evening until he left the group.

Yes, I suppose some people in the club would have noticed that the women left with three men, not two - which does sound more likely.
But how would the security people have known that he was dropped off in Cardiff?

<modsnip: Sleuthing social media of friends is not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:

Police are investigating a noise complaint at a caravan park involving people who were later killed in a car crash.

(..)

A caravan at the holiday park where the group are understood to have stayed for a period of time prior to the accident has been cordoned off.

The PA news agency understands police are aware of a noise complaint made to the park’s security lodge about the group.

They left a short time later and were last seen at about 2am in the Pentwyn area of Cardiff having dropped off a sixth member of their group.

The man is said to be cooperating fully with the police investigation.

Investigations are still ongoing to establish the exact time of the crash.

(..)

If this report is correct, the mysterious 6th person has been located and is "cooperating fully".
See:

He's named in this article, with video of RJ hugging a friend outside of a white car..

I have a Q... were RJ and SL friends or did they meet for the first time too?

Also interesting bit in that article...
"Mr Jeanne emerges from the rear and embraces Miss Glanville, who he allowed to drive the car. "

That was on Thursday:

In the footage shot on Thursday night, Mr Lia, from Cardiff, is captured stepping out of the front passenger seat of the vehicle. Mr Jeanne emerges from the rear and embraces Miss Glanville, who he allowed to drive the car.

That was on Thursday:

In the footage shot on Thursday night, Mr Lia, from Cardiff, is captured stepping out of the front passenger seat of the vehicle. Mr Jeanne emerges from the rear and embraces Miss Glanville, who he allowed to drive the car.
Yes, I know. I was suggesting that he had a pattern for allowing others to drive the car (it appears the car involved in the crash is also the one from Thursday), and that it could have been any of them driving.

<modsnip: Sleuthing social media of family or friends is not allows>

Last edited by a moderator:

Police are investigating a noise complaint at a caravan park involving people who were later killed in a car crash.

(..)

A caravan at the holiday park where the group are understood to have stayed for a period of time prior to the accident has been cordoned off.

The PA news agency understands police are aware of a noise complaint made to the park’s security lodge about the group.

They left a short time later and were last seen at about 2am in the Pentwyn area of Cardiff having dropped off a sixth member of their group.

The man is said to be cooperating fully with the police investigation.

Investigations are still ongoing to establish the exact time of the crash.

(..)
I thought something like that had happened. The problem for the relatives whose van it is that they will most likely now lose their pitch...so another victim but in another different way of course.

The sixth passenger in the vehicle, who escaped the crash after being dropped off shortly before the car left the road, has been confirmed as Joel Lia, 27

Mr Jeanne was reconnecting with friends after coming out of prison a month ago, she said, but it was the first time she and Miss Glanville had met Mr Lia.

Mr Jeanne, Mr Lia and Mr Loughlin met Eve, Darcy and Sophie in a social club known as The Muffler in Newport on Friday night. They later got into the nine-year-old car and drove 38 miles to Porthcawl where Mr Loughlin has a caravan.

Following an altercation at the caravan site, they drove back to Cardiff where they dropped Mr Lia near his home, filled up with petrol, and headed to Newport to take the girls home.

One aspect in all this is the police response and the policing structure . The females were reported missing to Gwent police - the other two to South Wales police. Maybe this is why it was not actioned more rapidly. This has happened before - the disconnect between Gwent and South Wales police forces - in the key case of Michael v Chief Constable of South Wales - 2015 Link Here . In Michael the victim of domestic violence called the police as her ex had threatened to kill her when he returned but her call pinged off a cell tower and went to Gwent police . Then there was a huge mess up . She called the police again but the line went dead. She did not survive.

Maybe Gwent and South Wales police need a look at their coordination. There is an inquiry and I think this is an aspect that the inquiry will consider IMO.

Is it usual for police to spend so much time investigating the movements of victims before their fatal car crash? eg going to the caravan park.
Potentially yes. Three people are dead and two more are seriously ill. They will want information for the inquest and remember there is going to be an investigation into them so it makes sense to get everything lined up before hand and to be honest depending on what they did at the caravan park could affect anything that happened later and potentially of course there could have been charges laid for whatever reasons.

ADMIN NOTE:

Everyone needs to read or re-read Websleuths Social Media Rules. All rules are linked in my signature.

Sleuthing social media of family or friends is a violation of Websleuths TOS.

Please post accordingly. Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back