UK UK - Christopher Halliwell, suspected serial killer

From The Sun:

..... we are also looking at where he took his holidays on his narrow boat.

I wonder where his boat was moored.

This is the canal network of England and Wales:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

If Halliwell was based in Swindon, the nearest bit of navigable canal to there is the Kennet and Avon Canal (which goes from Bristol to the River Thames at Reading). However the K&A has only fairly recently become fully navigable again after decades of neglect and restoration. I'm not sure when boats started to make it a base again.

Bearing in mind that the K&A is fairly isolated in relation to the rest of the network, and the speed limit on canals is 4mph (!), there's a good chance he wouldn't get very far - especially as he would have had to chug back the way he came.

On the other hand, he could have been moored up near Oxford, either on the Thames or the Oxford Canal, or somewhere like Gloucester or Tewkesbury on the River Severn. These two options would have given him much better access to the wider network.

"I remember thinking he'd also done a bit of roaming" was a (perhaps baseless, perhaps not) surmise, based on the feeling his kill total would't be confined to one area but rather, as he was mobile, would also reflect either regions he'd been known to frequent (though I know of none), or of dark jaunts further in both mileage and destiny.

As a taxi driver he could have lived and worked almost anywhere in the UK. Given what we now know about the extent of Peter Tobin's geographical wanderings, I think it right that the police look at murders of young women almost anywhere in the country where they fit his pattern and likely years of activity.

As a taxi driver he could have lived and worked almost anywhere in the UK. Given what we now know about the extent of Peter Tobin's geographical wanderings, I think it right that the police look at murders of young women almost anywhere in the country where they fit his pattern and likely years of activity.[/QUOTE

A police source said: "From his teens onwards, we are looking at a potential offending period of more than 30 years.

"We know he travelled all over the country working as a driver, or in the construction industry - snip - He could have left victims anywhere in the UK."

Halliwell is believed to have used his taxi driver job as a cover to target girls outside clubs and in red light districts late at night.]

Apart from the above, if he worked as a minicab driver that's something he could pick up wherever he lived, rarely any references needed.

Does he have an mo? Does he just go for younger women? A minicab driver could pick up anyone, anywhere.
This is going to be a long haul investigation. Someone whose past is so difficult to track as I doubt he paid tax, n.insurance etc (trackable) wherever he worked.
Just feel despair at the moment.

A minicab driver could pick up anyone, anywhere.

Actually, they're not supposed to. A taxi driver is licenced to pick up passengers on the street. A minicab driver is unlicenced but works for a minicab firm which takes bookings and despatches a minicab to the required address. In theory, they are not supposed to pick up passengers on the street though it's very likely that some of the dodgier ones do.

He was serving a sentence for burglary when he asked the question about serial killers so I think the police ought to look at murders of people/women in their own homes too, in the areas he's frequented over the years.

He was serving a sentence for burglary when he asked the question about serial killers so I think the police ought to look at murders of people/women in their own homes too, in the areas he's frequented over the years.

Yes, a very good point. Rapes as well, both outside and of women in their own homes.

Did Christopher Halliwell kill others? What police will do now
Officers have some documents that could help them piece together a fuller picture of the double murderer’s life
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...halliwell-kill-others-what-police-will-do-now
Hopeful news
from the link above:

What makes police think he may have killed others? There are a number of factors that led them to believe Becky Godden and Sian O’Callaghan are not his only victims.

They include:
• In the mid-1980s while he was in Dartmoor for an unrelated offence, Halliwell asked a fellow prisoner how many women a person needed to kill before being considered a serial killer. Had he already killed by then?
• His age. It is rare for men to begin to kill in their late 30s. Detectives cannot believe he did nothing in between being a burglar and thief in the 80s and killing Becky Godden in 2003.
---
• He is known to have been worried that police were investigating him over allegations involving girls. There has been no such inquiry.
• Halliwell was “forensically aware”. When he killed Sian O’Callaghan in 2011 he removed items of her clothing and attempted to get rid of fibres that he feared would connect him to her death.
• He tried to strike a deal with police that if he cleared up Godden’s murder police would never interview him about anything ever again.
• The mistake over the depth of Godden’s grave. Halliwell initially told police he had buried her 5ft (1.5 metres) down but she was found just a few inches below the surface. Police believe he may be confused because there were other burial sites.
• Propensity. He was no random killer. Godden and O’Callaghan were young and slim. He mistakenly thought both were sex workers.
• The transitory nature of his work. In common with serial killers such as Peter Sutcliffe, Levi Bellfield and Robert Black he had a job that gave him the opportunity to abduct and murder.

Guardian:

Becky Godden case shines light on issue of UK's missing women

---
The confusion over missing people was illustrated this week when various media outlets named six women who might have been victims of Halliwell. The Guardian has now established that three of the women are alive.

However, Halliwell may have been involved in the disappearance of 25-year-old Melanie Hall, a hospital worker, who went missing in Bath in 1996 after leaving a nightclub.

Linda Razzell, a 41-year-old college worker, went missing in Swindon in 2002. Her body has not been found and her estranged husband, Glyn, was convicted of her murder but has always protested his innocence.

Perhaps the disappearance of most interest to the Halliwell team is that of 23-year-old Sallyann John, a sex worker who went missing in 1995 from the same red light area – Manchester Road – as Becky Godden. Her body has not been found and in 2014 police said they believed she had been murdered.
---

more at the links above

i think the melanie hall case is one the police should be taking a look at halliwell for. There are other victims of Halliwell out there i have no doubt of that.

'Christopher Halliwell murdered FOUR more girls': Victim's mother reveals killer taxi driver's chilling links to the cases of other missing women

• Karen Edwards is convinced Christopher Halliwell killed four other girls
  • Halliwell killed her daughter, Becky Godden, and Sian O'Callaghan
  • She has dedicated her time to investigating her daughter's case
  • Sally Ann John, Melanie Hall, Linda Razell and Claudia Lawrence could have all been killed by him
  • Two of the girls vanished onthe same date as Miss O'Callaghan
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ims-reveals-chilling-links-missing-women.html

So is he good for the Claudia Lawrence crime? I didn't used to think so but here lately....

I think that, countrywide, he may have killed a dozen or more. His depravity is sort of sinking in.

What do you guys think? Two or more than two? More or less than five? More or less than ten?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/71...es-Halliwell-killed-missing-chef-victims-more

Former Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher says Claudia is one of four women who may have been killed by Halliwell, whose father lived close to where she disappeared in York in 2009.

Mr Fulcher investigated the link in 2011 after arresting Halliwell for the murder of 22-year-old Sian O’Callaghan and 20-year-old Becky Godden. He believes police should now take another look.

This article from 2014 suggests three more names.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/393510/Sex-beast-cabbie-linked-murder-of-three-girls

Putting it out there, but I think the link to Lindsey Jo Rimer is pretty tenuous. I'm surprised at the lack of info I can find on the other two murder victims.

Eila Karjalainen

134301.jpg

FINNISH hitchhiker Eila Karjalainen’s decomposing body was found dumped in a wood on the Blenheim estate in November 1983.

The 23-year-old had been strangled and her body lay undiscovered for three months in Kings Wood in Woodstock.

Her rucksack and belongings including her passport were found in a layby on the A40 near Barnard Gate, near Witney, three weeks after her remains were found.

Her murder case was re-opened in 1987 by detectives searching for the killer of 17-year-old Rachel Partridge, who was murdered after trying to hitch a lift to her home at Shaw’s Field Farm, Chinnor Hill, but no clear links were proven.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11450344.Working_to_bring_their_killers_to_justice_at_last/

No thread on Websleuths.

Shelley Morgan

1481717.jpg

Shelley was an American woman from Iowa who moved to the UK in 1972.

Shelley Cameron Morgan

Body found on October 14, 1994 [sic, that should be 1984]

The 34-year-old, from Windmill Hill, took her children to the school bus on June 11, 1984, and was never seen alive again.

Her naked body was found the following October in a shallow grave in a remote copse in Backwell, near Bristol.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...8439608-detail/story.html#kpd1TG1IyKs4OF4L.99

This isn't MSM, but it's the most info I can find https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/5324420059/

Shelley's case was featured on crimewatch, but I can't find it on youtube etc.

No thread on Websleuths.

Lindsay Jo Rimer

1364384471.jpg

IT was a murder of a schoolgirl which left a Yorkshire market town in shock and has since baffled detectives for two decades.

The body of Hebden Bridge 13-year-old Lindsay Jo Rimer was found in the Rochdale Canal on April 12, 1995, five months after she was reported missing, but the person responsible has never been brought to justice.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...hebden-bridge-schoolgirl-is-renewed-1-6935980

Websleuths thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Rimer-13-Yorkshire-7-Nov-1994&highlight=rimer

Putting it out there, but I think the link to Lindsey Jo Rimer is pretty tenuous.

She is certainly much younger than the women he's been convicted of killing, and those in connection with whom he is now being considered. On the other hand I seem to recall reading in one newspaper report that his father lives or lived in Huddersfield, less than 15 miles from Hebden Bridge.

So is he good for the Claudia Lawrence crime? I didn't used to think so but here lately....

I think that, countrywide, he may have killed a dozen or more. His depravity is sort of sinking in.

What do you guys think? Two or more than two? More or less than five? More or less than ten?

More than two, he's alluded to that himself. Probably no more than 10 though.

I kind of hope he IS responsible for some of the missing women we know about (or at least the ones which are likely deceased) and that he decides to tell all, reunite these girls with their families. I said this on another thread, he's so vain I think taunting him by saying he's a crap serial killer might just make him admit to more, serial killer bravado and all that.

Slightly off topic but when looking for murder stats (as you do on a Monday teatime) I found this site which lists more recent murders. http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports/murders-fatal-violence-uk.html

I also started looking missingpeople but our geographical location is limitless and the time range is huge. No doubt there are a fair few missing women listed there who could have fallen victim to Halliwell.

Interview with Steve Fulcher from this morning's Radio 4 Today Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07w5xxv

Defends his actions when arresting Halliwell. Says CH told him he was being arrested on suspicion of 8 murders, giving the impression of another 6 victims. Denies naming Claudia Lawrence as a potential victim (didn't give the impression he was ruling her out, either). Criticised Wiltshire police for not investigating other potential victims. Says Linda Razzell had a direct relationship with CH.

Interview starts a few seconds before the 1h50m mark.

[/I]

I wonder where his boat was moored.

This is the canal network of England and Wales:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

If Halliwell was based in Swindon, the nearest bit of navigable canal to there is the Kennet and Avon Canal (which goes from Bristol to the River Thames at Reading). However the K&A has only fairly recently become fully navigable again after decades of neglect and restoration. I'm not sure when boats started to make it a base again.

Bearing in mind that the K&A is fairly isolated in relation to the rest of the network, and the speed limit on canals is 4mph (!), there's a good chance he wouldn't get very far - especially as he would have had to chug back the way he came.

On the other hand, he could have been moored up near Oxford, either on the Thames or the Oxford Canal, or somewhere like Gloucester or Tewkesbury on the River Severn. These two options would have given him much better access to the wider network.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...halliwell-kill-others-what-police-will-do-now

He was a keen angler and had an encyclopaedic knowledge of waterways and ponds.

If the pile of clothing was that of his other possible victims, these are probably his trophies, that he's been back to revisit many many times, I would love to know what makes people like him tick. I wonder if there's any articles about him as a child and how he behaved as a child ect.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu..._PAhUpJMAKHSiZAT8QMwgsKAwwDA&bih=786&biw=1600

My sex with cabbie hours after killing

She claimed Halliwell — who was locked up in a
young offenders institute for stealing antiques as a teenager — was a loner
with few friends when they met in 1988.

He was a moderate drinker but regularly smoked cannabis before going to bed,
she said.

Halliwell claimed he was abused by his mother, Sophia — who died six years ago
— as a child.
Lisa said: “He said his mum would press a hot iron on his hand and smile at
him as he was screaming his head off.”

Very interesting article, ex-wife and ex-partner are telling

Members online