UK UK - Christopher Halliwell, suspected serial killer

I read that Halliwell was keen on Canal boats and canals so what be better place than Glouchestershire to dump some of his poor victims.
Have any of these sketches ever been shared with the general public or are they under lock and key at a police station away from public profile. Halliwell sketches could lead to more gruesome murders, ex-detective reveals
Have any of these sketches ever been shared with the general public or are they under lock and key at a police station away from public profile. Halliwell sketches could lead to more gruesome murders, ex-detective reveals
It looks like my question has already been raised. 12 pencil sketches drawn by convicted killer Christopher Halliwell - a Freedom of Information request to Wiltshire Constabulary

I read that Halliwell was keen on Canal boats and canals so what be better place than Glouchestershire to dump some of his poor victims.

I have no problem with that, only with the poor judgement of the authors of the linked article, for the reasons stated and Cherwell's additional and very good point. Having said that, Halliwell has been mooted as responsible for many other murders around the country, including one in the West Midlands (Janine Downe) and there are more canals around Birmingham and the surrounding area than almost anywhere in the country - so if it was his modus operandi he may have favoured canals almost anywhere from Liverpool (where he once lived) to Birmingham and down to Gloucester.

Indeed, and I was bemused to see that they flagged Sian O'Callaghan as "Mistaken for a prostitute". Where did they get that idea? Halliwell knew Sian as she was friends with his daughters. She was just a girl leaving a club and getting a taxi home, the driver of which she would have recognised.
In Fulchers book he says to Halliwell "You know Sian wasn't a prostitute?" Halliwell replied " I do now" He mistook her for a prostitute.

In Fulchers book he says to Halliwell "You know Sian wasn't a prostitute?" Halliwell replied " I do now" He mistook her for a prostitute.

He may have said that, but I don't believe him. Why would he assume a girl leaving a club was a prostitute? More likely he recognised her and knew she would recognise him and trust him.

What are people's view on this series of articles, there are 6 in total. North Yorks Enquirer | Claudia: New Evidence – 1
The attempted kidnapping report is interesting, although difficult to assess its credibility.

More generally, the geography in this article isn't very convincing. York isn't conveniently located for any of Huddersfield, Middlesbrough or Sheffield! These are all long drives or train journeys. The article mentions a Halliwell link to Ampleforth and Oswaldkirk. I can't see the evidence for these. And it runs contrary to the police statement that they had reviewed any Halliwell connections to the York area, and concluded that there were none.

The attempted kidnapping report is interesting, although difficult to assess its credibility.

More generally, the geography in this article isn't very convincing. York isn't conveniently located for any of Huddersfield, Middlesbrough or Sheffield! These are all long drives or train journeys. The article mentions a Halliwell link to Ampleforth and Oswaldkirk. I can't see the evidence for these. And it runs contrary to the police statement that they had reviewed any Halliwell connections to the York area, and concluded that there were none.
Thank you for your reply. It's not easy to get credibility for something that happened to a person who didn't realise she was being stalked at the time.
Halliwell was not on the police's radar until the Sian O'Callaghan incident, he covered his tracks and was forensically aware. By offending out of his area he had the advantage of no police awareness, he was only caught out by offending on his doorstep.
Frequent trips to university accommodation gives him the opportunity and knowledge of the areas.
In the past police forces never spoke to each other nevermind worked with each other.

Thank you for your reply. It's not easy to get credibility for something that happened to a person who didn't realise she was being stalked at the time.
Halliwell was not on the police's radar until the Sian O'Callaghan incident, he covered his tracks and was forensically aware. By offending out of his area he had the advantage of no police awareness, he was only caught out by offending on his doorstep.
Frequent trips to university accommodation gives him the opportunity and knowledge of the areas.
In the past police forces never spoke to each other nevermind worked with each other.
Many thanks. But the police reviewed the Halliwell idea in 2016 and found he hadn't any local connections. They made a statement to that effect in early October 2016. Think that was a response to Fulcher saying that Halliwell's father lived "a few streets away" from Heworth - which was shown to be nonsense; he lived and died in Huddersfield (50 miles away) a full 17 years before the Lawrence disappearance.

The Halliwell idea really boils down to his MO. That was potentially similar. And that's not trivial - very very few lone violent criminals are capable of kidnapping people, and disposing of bodies in the way he did successfully multiple times. But beyond the MO similarity there really isn't any evidence to link him to this - maybe the vague thin, left-handed smoker sighting, but that doesn't amount to much.

What are people's view on this series of articles, there are 6 in total. North Yorks Enquirer | Claudia: New Evidence – 1
There is a fundamental problem with the theory. Claudia Lawrence police say 'unlikely' Christopher Halliwell involved quotes the police as saying that they have evidence from both digital devices (presumably phones) and witnesses placing Halliwell in Swindon when she disappeared. The authors seem to be very selective in their evidence, as I pointed out in their previous use of the Angel Meadows case and the credibility or otherwise of Mark Williams Thomas.

There is a fundamental problem with the theory. Claudia Lawrence police say 'unlikely' Christopher Halliwell involved quotes the police as saying that they have evidence from both digital devices (presumably phones) and witnesses placing Halliwell in Swindon when she disappeared. The authors seem to be very selective in their evidence, as I pointed out in their previous use of the Angel Meadows case and the credibility or otherwise of Mark Williams Thomas.
And @Novosti
I appreciate that the police have reviewed the connection but you need to put yourself in the position of a serial killer. No one knows at that point he is a serial killer, to make sure he has an alibi first have a hospital appointment, secondly get yourself on CCTV in your home town, drive someone else's car, leave your phone at home, pay cash wherever you go. Easily done if you have multiple cars at your disposal and friends you can borrow a car off.
As for police, unfortunately, because of personal experience, they dismiss the most obvious things. I would like to have confidence in the police but unfortunately I don't.

And @Novosti
I appreciate that the police have reviewed the connection but you need to put yourself in the position of a serial killer. No one knows at that point he is a serial killer, to make sure he has an alibi first have a hospital appointment, secondly get yourself on CCTV in your home town, drive someone else's car, leave your phone at home, pay cash wherever you go. Easily done if you have multiple cars at your disposal and friends you can borrow a car off.
As for police, unfortunately, because of personal experience, they dismiss the most obvious things. I would like to have confidence in the police but unfortunately I don't.
I agree that such evidence is not absolute proof. However, to overcome the digital and witness evidence requires both that he would have gone to some lengths to cover his tracks for an offence where he would not expect to be a suspect and that the witnesses (rather than digital evidence) are mistaken. I would give the article and authors more credibility if they had not already damaged that by attempting to link unlikely offences (Angel Meadow) and using dodgy sources (Mark Williams Thomas). It is not that it is impossible for Halliwell to be responsible for the Lawrence case but rather that, given the known evidence and slack journalism, he would not be a priority amongst possible directions to pursue.

I agree that such evidence is not absolute proof. However, to overcome the digital and witness evidence requires both that he would have gone to some lengths to cover his tracks for an offence where he would not expect to be a suspect and that the witnesses (rather than digital evidence) are mistaken. I would give the article and authors more credibility if they had not already damaged that by attempting to link unlikely offences (Angel Meadow) and using dodgy sources (Mark Williams Thomas). It is not that it is impossible for Halliwell to be responsible for the Lawrence case but rather that, given the known evidence and slack journalism, he would not be a priority amongst possible directions to pursue.
The article I put on is not Mark William Thomas though it's Tim Hicks and Chris Clark. I am not 100% familiar with the Angel Meadows case but I will look into it now, you have my interest.

I do agree, Lizzy that this type of deception (falsifying CCTV and leaving misleading mobile phone trails) is possible. But we know it is very rare that lone violent offenders can pull off this sort of thing successfully in practice. It's something you'd associate with organised crime, paramilitaries etc. and even they can't always do it very well!

Courts have put quite a high weight on digital, geographic evidence - in the Angelsey crossbow case, for example, the car GPS was probably the single most important piece of evidence that led to a conviction. It is in practice very difficult for the opposing legal team to question it on the grounds it might be falsified, unless they can demonstrate an active conspiracy to do so.

I do agree, Lizzy that this type of deception (falsifying CCTV and leaving misleading mobile phone trails) is possible. But we know it is very rare that lone violent offenders can pull off this sort of thing successfully in practice. It's something you'd associate with organised crime, paramilitaries etc. and even they can't always do it very well!

Courts have put quite a high weight on digital, geographic evidence - in the Angelsey crossbow case, for example, the car GPS was probably the single most important piece of evidence that led to a conviction. It is in practice very difficult for the opposing legal team to question it on the grounds it might be falsified, unless they can demonstrate an active conspiracy to do so.
We are talking about, in the example of Claudia Lawrence, 2009. Mobile phones were widely available but not used by everyone. A few phones had internet but not easy to use and GPS was not on most phones.

We are talking about, in the example of Claudia Lawrence, 2009. Mobile phones were widely available but not used by everyone. A few phones had internet but not easy to use and GPS was not on most phones.
Sure. But even the cell location data (without GPS) is going to locate within a few miles in Swindon, if that report above is accurate. Realistically no police force is going to get a case past the CPS unless they have some evidence that Halliwell was apart from his phone for a few days, and any activity on that phone in this period was done by someone else - with in all likelihood that person, whoever they are, being subject to cross-examination on this point.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_thinking
Back