Identified! UK - Clapham North, WhtMale, 25-35, short drk beard, black framed glasses, track casualty, Apr'20 - Andrei Plesa

Thanks @dotr !

Interestingly it says eye colour unknown...

Also interesting:
Possessions
Black frames glasses, lighter and over the counter eye drops.

No cigarettes, tobacco, rolling papers etc but had a lighter. Also "over the counter" eye drops is interesting. What kind of eye drops are over the counter?

Thanks @dotr !

Interestingly it says eye colour unknown...

Also interesting:
Possessions
Black frames glasses, lighter and over the counter eye drops.

No cigarettes, tobacco, rolling papers etc but had a lighter. Also "over the counter" eye drops is interesting. What kind of eye drops are over the counter?

That reminded me of my eye-drops. I use Viscotears, which are like a polymer. I have to ask at Boots to get those over the counter, but don't need a prescription. John Doe could have a common eye issue or something a bit more serious that he couldn't/didn't want to find treatment for.

He has family out there wondering about him, I'm sure. Maybe he hasn't been reported missing yet, though. I wonder if he was living a transient lifestyle.

He has family out there wondering about him, I'm sure. Maybe he hasn't been reported missing yet, though. I wonder if he was living a transient lifestyle.

Oh yes definitely, I had a family member who dropped out of sight for a few years and we had no way of contacting them (pre-social media). In the end we found them via the Red Cross. They were ok but had travelled abroad and had got mixed up in trouble there and had to rebuild their whole life and everything when they finally got back to the UK. They had no address/means of contact. That's partly why I'm interested in Does personally, it hurts to see some of the comments that people say about the families.

I agree, I think either he was living a transient lifestyle or his family live abroad or something.

New to this website, but I made this account bc I often look at the uk missing/unidentified persons website. This specific case caught my eye a while ago and I looked back on the website to look at it again today and realised it’s no longer on there? This is the only place I could find where anyone has talked about this :( does anyone know if this means he has been identified?

Jul 9, 2021
Five People That Have Become Cold Cases in 2021 | by Natasha Mullins | The Mystery Box | Medium
''Greater London John Doe
This Doe was also found on April 7, 2020. A man walked into Clapham underground station in London, England just after 10 AM. He was captured on CCTV footage walking through the station wearing a dark blue hoodie and black glasses, minutes later he was killed by a train after either falling or jumping onto the train tracks. The train saw the man lying on the tracks but was unfortunately unable to stop in time. He was killed instantly.
0*LinTtZj-zquH57q2

CCTV footage of the man found dead on the train tracks
Sources differ as to whether Greater London John Doe fell onto the tracks, or lay in front of the train on purpose. The incident was initially described by newspapers as a “tragic accident”, but it seems to have all the characteristics of suicide. Investigators say that nothing about the death was suspicious, but have not revealed if it was a suicide. John Doe died shortly before the first lockdown in the UK was put in place, and it is speculated that this change could have affected his mental health. Law enforcement attempted to identify him by searching for missing people matching his description, but these efforts have been so far unsuccessful.

0*1tFrgCypapj5wyhZ

0*1tFrgCypapj5wyhZ

Logo on hoodie
The man was 5'7" to 5'9" and 25-35 years old with a thin build, black hair, and a beard. He was wearing blue and gray Nike shoes, a wool hat, gray sweatpants, blue socks with a star pattern, and a blue jacket with two Everlast logos. From a quick google search, it seems that Everlast is a brand of boxing gloves that also sells merchandise. This could indicate an athletic background for the man. The logo also appears to be in Italian colors. The man had a lighter and non-prescription eye drops in his possession along with the clothing he was wearing when he died. He had no form of identification on his body.

Greater London John Doe is reported in one source as being Caucasian, but most other sources say his ethnicity is “unknown”. Law enforcement wants to return Greater London John Doe to his loved ones, but so far no one has come forward to claim him. Given how quickly he was found his fingerprints are likely on file. It’s not been reported if his DNA has been collected or not.''
0*2Ipxsnz9mo2yKf8o

0*2Ipxsnz9mo2yKf8o

Logo on hoodie
Greater London John Doe was a young man that died in Clapham underground station in April 2020. He was around 5'8" with dark short hair and wore a beard at the time of his death.

I was thinking about this again today and decided to look at the demographics of the area nearby the tube station, Larkhall.

“The 2001 Census showed that Larkhall has a population of approximately 14,000 people, with 10,000 registered electors. A large proportion of its population was born outside of the EU. There are a large proportion of young adults aged between 16 and 24, with a high level of economic activity. Larkhall has a high rate of people aged 0–15 with long-term limiting illness. Larkhall has a high proportion of older people not living alone, and not in a couple.”

maybe this could help point to this young man’s identity?

I was thinking about this again today and decided to look at the demographics of the area nearby the tube station, Larkhall.

“The 2001 Census showed that Larkhall has a population of approximately 14,000 people, with 10,000 registered electors. A large proportion of its population was born outside of the EU. There are a large proportion of young adults aged between 16 and 24, with a high level of economic activity. Larkhall has a high rate of people aged 0–15 with long-term limiting illness. Larkhall has a high proportion of older people not living alone, and not in a couple.”

maybe this could help point to this young man’s identity?
Great ideas, thank you and welcome to Ws!

I think about this particular case from time to time and if he has been identified, that would be fantastic.

In case he hasn't bumping with a 2021 article I just found from the Guardian which I hadn't seen before, it mentions this case and Ngo Van Nghia (mentioned in a previous post on this thread).

Ngo Van Nghia's page is still available to view on the Missing People Website, so if the young man at Clapham North has been identified, would it be fair to assume it is not him?

So very sad. Whoever he is - R.I.P.

Bumping for this young man.

Note: If you search for "narrow platform at Clapham North" on you tube and look at one of the videos of the station in operation you can get a good view what there is of the platform and get an idea of how little space there is. There are only two island platforms like this left on the London Underground (the other is at Clapham Common which is the next stop along travelling south on the Northern Line). I have read of people refusing to use these stations because they consider them too dangerous particularly during the rush hour, and I do remember as a teenager being rather nervous using the old island platform at the Angel Islington before it was rebuilt as two wider separate platforms (I'm a bit of a tube/train geek as you can probably tell!)

It's most likely that this young man was in some way local to the area of Clapham North hence why he went there, but it did occur to me that he may have chosen this station in particular as opposed to another one nearby because the island platform made it easier for him to carry out his tragic intention quickly with trains frequently travelling in both directions in one place.

MOO

How sad that after his earlier attempt he was assessed as fit to leave. I can't see why it wouldn't have been assumed he was in crisis and taken to hospital.

I agree; I'm finding it very hard to understand why more wasn't done to help him at Oval Station. Quotes are from the news article:

"Andrei initially jumped onto the tracks at Oval station in South London before getting off after a customer raised an emergency alarm on April 7, 2020. A TfL Customer Service Assistant approached Andrei, who was described by the assistant as "agitated" and "suspicious". Andrei was then declared fit to journey onwards and he boarded a Tube at Oval on the Northern line to Clapham North."

If the above is accurate, who made the decision reached and did the coroner look any further into how it was reached on this occasion?

"Meanwhile, Mr Draper outlined how TfL staff are given a two-hour training course in a station environment to facilitate suicide prevention in an Underground station. Staff are taught how to recognise the signs and symptoms of someone exhibiting suicidal tendencies, Mr Draper said, and how to "keep calm when speaking to someone" who might be suicidal."

That is useful, but doesn't tell us anything about what steps should be taken next, e.g. calling the BTP (British Transport Police), alerting staff on the southbound stations on the Northern line or giving Andrei's description or CCTV images to the control centres around the TfL network so they were aware?

"Today's inquest heard about the procedures that are in place at London Underground stations as Assistant Coroner Ms Jacobs sought to determine whether anything more could have been done in relation to prevent Andrei's death by assessing the level of signage and number of CCTV cameras at Clapham North station."

Personally, I feel that the real issue here is about what occurred at Oval Station beforehand rather than focusing on signs and CCTV cameras at Clapham North. It's a sad fact that if a person is determined enough to go through with their intention, signs and cameras are unlikely to stop them. Possibly a different outcome at Oval may only have delayed the inevitable, but it might just have made all the difference to this very isolated and troubled young man, and sadly we will never know.

It is not my wish to criticise the Coroner or TfL staff, as we only have the one (albeit reasonably thorough) news article to work from here. Possibly the Coroner did ask more questions about what happened at Oval but for some reason they were omitted from the news report, but I too am left perplexed at why more wasn't done there to help Andrei there.

MOO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa