UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed but the police put it out there and even after nearly 13 years no one has come forward confirming it was them and not Claudia and the perpetrator…so it’s logical to assume it was Claudia.I’m going to leave it at that IMO
Why would the police mention it otherwise.
They could easily say we do not believe it to be Claudia, on the micro site.

Completely agree. On a different note one of the reasons I have always believed the initial view of 19th way to work theory is the two different witnesses . At 5 30 am and 6 10am we never will of course but would be so helpful to know how confident it was CL these witnesses were. There surely can't be many people out that time in the morning on her route to work on foot that look like her and as far as I know neither of these sightings have ever come forward ?.

This is I think why the police spoke to David Oxer a number of times in the beginning of the investigation. On thurs he said he took a different route to work so lets lay that aside for the moment.
If his normal route to work with out any other personal commitments or diversions took him through Heworth rd along Melrosegate road and University road to work and he was at work on the Mon 16th Tues 17th and Weds 18th he would have regularly seen Claudia at certain points and times along that route if as we are told she was walking to work
We are led to believe Claudia had been walking to work for a number of weeks prioer to her disappearance so he if he regularly travelled the route through Heworth rd,melrosegate rd and university rd he would have been able to provide police with a lot of information regarding the days he saw her walking/the days he offered/gave her a lift. CCtv along the route and sited cctv cameras in the Uni carpark and buildngs could confirm any information he gave and also fill in any blanks regarding how she arrived at work on his days off or days when he didnt give her a lift or see her on route.

Note:-
We know he was at work on the Tues 17th because he had a conversation with Claudia in which she disclosed she had spent the night with a mystery man.

I find it hard to believe that NYP did not scrutinise the Uni cctv to see how she arrived at the Uni on the 16th and 17th.

Why would the police mention it otherwise.
They could easily say we do not believe it to be Claudia, on the micro site.

Det Supt Ray Galloway said 'we do not know that the female in each case was Claudia' and the video in which he says this appears on the NYP Claudia Lawrence website. (see previous post for link)

If NYP knew the that Claudia was the female seen arguing with the male on university why wouldnt they have said that?
The reason they featured the couple was to ask the public for help in the possible identification of the couple..

Last edited:
You say … with respect … that she was not seen on the 19 th
The police believe she was seen by two different people and they ( police ) believed the witnesses !
And since no one has come forward saying it was them ( couple ) it would be logical to assume he was the perpetrator and the woman was the victim !

Perhaps no one has come forward because no one recognised the woman as Claudia..
It appears the person(witness) driving by didnt with an certainity .. and I think its fair to assume they were shown photos of Claudia and asked was this the woman you saw?

This is all part of police work.. they have to obtain supporting evidence. Its disappointing this particular sighting has not given us clarity either way as yet but it is what it is Im afraid.

Last edited:
This is I think why the police spoke to David Oxer a number of times in the beginning of the investigation. On thurs he said he took a different route to work so lets lay that aside for the moment.
If his normal route to work with out any other personal commitments or diversions took him through Heworth rd along Melrosegate road and University road to work and he was at work on the Mon 16th Tues 17th and Weds 18th he would have regularly seen Claudia at certain points and times along that route if as we are told she was walking to work
We are led to believe Claudia had been walking to work for a number of weeks prioer to her disappearance so he if he regularly travelled the route through Heworth rd,melrosegate rd and university rd he would have been able to provide police with a lot of information regarding the days he saw her walking/the days he offered/gave her a lift. CCtv along the route and sited cctv cameras in the Uni carpark and buildngs could confirm any information he gave and also fill in any blanks regarding how she arrived at work on his days off or days when he didnt give her a lift or see her on route.

Note:-
We know he was at work on the Tues 17th because he had a conversation with Claudia in which she disclosed she had spent the night with a mystery man.

I find it hard to believe that NYP did not scrutinise the Uni cctv to see how she arrived at the Uni on the 16th and 17th.
If what David Oxer is true, it seems Claudia felt comfortable enough to tell him her personal business. Why do you think he didn't offer to give her a lift on the days they worked the same shift. Especially when it was dark when she left for work, not a nice spring fresh morning. I know if I had a colleague whose car was off the road I'd make firm arrangements to give them a lift on the days that suited. Then again there's the matter of conflicting reports, Claudia liked to walk for fitness reasons and she had turned down the offer of her dad's car and other reports that she was worried about walking to work. Imo

If what David Oxer is true, it seems Claudia felt comfortable enough to tell him her personal business. Why do you think he didn't offer to give her a lift on the days they worked the same shift. Especially when it was dark when she left for work, not a nice spring fresh morning. I know if I had a colleague whose car was off the road I'd make firm arrangements to give them a lift on the days that suited. Then again there's the matter of conflicting reports, Claudia liked to walk for fitness reasons and she had turned down the offer of her dad's car and other reports that she was worried about walking to work. Imo

The honest answer is @Thelastleg is that I dont know that he didnt offer to give her a lift on the days they worked the same shift its not something he or the NYP have disclosed.
Equally I dont know which days if any Snelling or anyone else she knew offered/gave her a lift.
There is a suggestion she was secretive about certain aspects of her private life if this is the case perhaps pick up points by colleagues/friends from locations other than her home on Heworth road might be something she chose to avoid.

Although quite extreme this may also be a reason she rejected the offer of a taxi and the use of her fathers car..
Personally I think she had a modes of transport and these were connected to persons she chose to keep private.

Just my opinion

Perhaps no one has come forward because no one recognised the woman as Claudia..
It appears the person(witness) driving by didnt with an certainity .. and I think its fair to assume they were shown photos of Claudia and asked was this the woman you saw?

This is all part of police work.. they have to obtain supporting evidence. Its disappointing this particular sighting has not given us clarity either way as yet but it is what it is Im afraid.
They said she looked like Claudia although they did not know Claudia nor sighting her up close !

So after her disappearance police talk to three closest CL work colleagues who all describe her essentially as quite shy friendly and hard working clearly genuinely popular but nothing known by any of them to help about disappearance no doubt the Police would have specifically asked did she say anything different in the days before she disappeared .... a year...yes a year... later D O remembers he told her she looked tired and she replied was out until 4am with and boyfriend . Now ok I can understand if someone goes missing and Police ask questions you could freeze in shock at that time of being asked but in that position wouldn't you rack your brains over the next couple of days to think.....We aren't talking about an apparent conversation that took place years or months beforehand it took place day same week!.... not great

They said she looked like Claudia although they did not know Claudia nor sighting her up close !

That's interesting could you please post the link to where it says that.

I am only able to find articles which quote Galloway as saying 'they did not have a description of the couple'

Police reveal new clues in search for Claudia Lawrence
“It wasn’t a violent confrontation and we don’t know what the man and woman looked like,” said Det Supt Galloway.

So after her disappearance police talk to three closest CL work colleagues who all describe her essentially as quite shy friendly and hard working clearly genuinely popular but nothing known by any of them to help about disappearance no doubt the Police would have specifically asked did she say anything different in the days before she disappeared .... a year...yes a year... later D O remembers he told her she looked tired and she replied was out until 4am with and boyfriend . Now ok I can understand if someone goes missing and Police ask questions you could freeze in shock at that time of being asked but in that position wouldn't you rack your brains over the next couple of days to think.....We aren't talking about an apparent conversation that took place years or months beforehand it took place day same week!.... not great

I agree ... Its just my opinion but I think he was fearful of speaking up.

When the police came to see me not one word was jotted down or recorded !
Could the same thing happened to DO ?

Det Supt Ray Galloway said 'we do not know that the female in each case was Claudia' and the video in which he says this appears on the NYP Claudia Lawrence website. (see previous post for link)

If NYP knew the that Claudia was the female seen arguing with the male on university why wouldnt they have said that?
The reason they featured the couple was to ask the public for help in the possible identification of the couple..
Yes ‘if it was you please come forward’
Since nearly 13 years have gone by the chances are it was Claudia.

My opinion is - Claudia wasn’t reported missing till at least Friday the20th March 2009 which by then witness accounts could of become blurred - so the report of the Thursday sighting could be Wednesday - unless they can see her /or prove she couldn’t of been there

Can I ask you if it was Claudia do you think she got out of the car?
And the male .. do you think he got out of the car?

The NYP website only makes reference to her using her phone and the times in their timeline. The accompaning video of the reconstruction it says 'We cant be sure but we think she was at home when she took that call'

19:27
Claudia and her father, Peter Lawrence, speak on the phone.

20:08 – 20:27
Claudia exchanges texts with friends.

20:04 – 20:14
Claudia and her mother, Joan Lawrence, speak on the phone.

21:12
Last text received on Claudia’s phone. She does not reply to this text.
Claudia Lawrence uses her telephone
Claudia had messaged JK only a couple of hours prior her disappearance, and Liz holder a couple of times that eve also x

They are very good questions.
Since Claudia was not seen on post office cctv there is a good chance she was in the car with him !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks