UK - Colin Pitchfork, Child Killer May Be Released From Prison

We lived fairly near to Narborough at the time of these murders. It was really frightening. Lynda and Dawn endured the most terrifying and horrifying experiences and the scum that raped and murdered them should never be free again. He’s a monster and he’s not going to be anything other than a dangerous rapist and murderer. Frankly, he doesn’t deserve to be let out of his cell, let alone free to walk the same streets as decent people.

One of the more shameful and naïve historical aspects of the UK judicial system, was our feeble sentencing for sexually motivated and sadistic murders in the era that Pitchfork committed his crimes. That, coupled with a parole board system that I personally believe needs a full overhaul (changes have been promised, we shall see) is a perfect storm for a disaster like Pitchfork’s release, much commented on at the time and challenged and yet still waved through even after the Worboys debacle.

Even when any person possessed of any tiny amount of common sense can see that releasing a man who raped and murdered two fifteen-year-old girls (and engaged in deceit to avoid detection) into the community when he is still young and fit enough to pose a risk to the public may not be a good idea, I find the public is condescended to by the authorities in certain quarters. The tone is that parole boards “know better” and that rehabilitation is possible for a man like this. I personally do not believe it is for this type of crime.

Thankfully, the UK has got more sensible about sentencing such crimes these days, but our parole board system is weighted far too heavily in favour of the offender, still.

As to what Pitchfork did, I have not found any details in the press. The Guardian suggests officials declined to give details: Double child killer Colin Pitchfork recalled to prison but I understand there is some speculation CP was taking very long walks on his own and not being honest in some way.

The disturbing truth behind sex killer Colin Pitchfork's return to jail | Daily Mail Online

The shocking truth behind child murderer Colin Pitchfork's recall to jail can be revealed today.

In an alarming string of incidents, the freed sex killer – who raped and strangled two 15-year-old girls in the 1980s – had been approaching teenage women in the street.

Sources said the 61-year-old had appeared to be trying to establish a connection with them.

Last night, the mother of one of his victims said it proved there was no way the 'psychopath' would be cured of his lust for young females.

It's difficult for me to understand how such a dangerous and conniving man can be considered for release.

Colin Pitchfork could be cleared for move to open prison within months | Daily Mail Online

"Double child killer Colin Pitchfork could be moved into an open prison - just months after he was sent back to jail for approaching young women.

The convicted rapist and murderer, 61, was arrested and recalled to prison in November after he was seen near young women while on out on walks.

He had only been released on licence two months earlier after serving a 33-year jail term, but the Parole Board's decision to release him had caused a public outcry.

Now the Parole Board is considering clearing him to be moved to an open prison, the Mirror reports."

It's difficult for me to understand how such a dangerous and conniving man can be considered for release.

Colin Pitchfork could be cleared for move to open prison within months | Daily Mail Online

"Double child killer Colin Pitchfork could be moved into an open prison - just months after he was sent back to jail for approaching young women.

The convicted rapist and murderer, 61, was arrested and recalled to prison in November after he was seen near young women while on out on walks.

He had only been released on licence two months earlier after serving a 33-year jail term, but the Parole Board's decision to release him had caused a public outcry.

Now the Parole Board is considering clearing him to be moved to an open prison, the Mirror reports."

I am not familiar with the term 'open prison' - can you explain please?

I don't recall the parole law in the UK, but aren't all prisoners who are sentenced to life eligible for parole?

I am not familiar with the term 'open prison' - can you explain please?
Probably a minimum security prison. I'm not sure.

I watched the ITV drama about how DNA profiling helped to catch Pitchfork - I'd never seen it before and it wasn't until the end when they caught him that I even realised it was Pitchfork responsible for the two murders. Of course I'd heard the name before, and I knew he was in prison, but for some reason I didn't connect his name with the two girls in the drama.

If you've not seen it before it's called 'Code of a Killer' and is very good.

Double child killer and rapist Colin Pitchfork has been granted parole and will be released from prison.
Pitchfork was jailed for life for raping and strangling two 15-year-old girls, Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth, in Leicestershire in 1983 and 1986.
The 63-year-old was released in 2021, before being arrested and sent back to prison two months later.
Following a hearing held in private in April, the Parole Board has decided Pitchfork can be released.
In its decision, the Parole Board "determined that it was no longer necessary for the protection of the public for Mr Pitchfork to remain confined and thereby directed his release".
"The prisoner had committed shocking, serious offences, causing immeasurable harm to his victims," it said.
"The panel noted that Mr Pitchfork has been in prison for a very long time. His behaviour for almost all of that time has not caused any concern... and the evidence before the panel demonstrated that he had learnt the lessons that he had been taught and had worked out how to apply them in practice."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back