GUILTY UK - Conservative MP Sir David Amess, fatally stabbed, Essex, 15 Oct 2021 *arrest*

Omg, I have just come in and caught up with news. How appalling this is. MPs' surgery time is a really important part of their community work but you really couldn't blame them for not wanting to continue doing it in the time-honoured way in church halls, libraries and other community spaces if this is the way things are going. They are such easy targets because the whole point is to be available to people.

I'm wondering whether this was a political act or more of a psychiatric one. I expect we'll know more once a name is released.

He was a husband and a father of five, I think, so as well as being an attack on UK public life there's also a devastated family at the heart of this incident. :(

Sad, sad, sad news re Sir David Amess.

I learn something new on W/S everyday, often from our Sleuthers across the pond. This time a political term, "Constituency surgery."

"A political surgery, constituency surgery, constituency clinic, mobile office or sometimes advice surgery, in British and Irish politics, is a series of one-to-one meetings that a Member of Parliament (MP),... political officeholder may have with their constituents.[1] At a surgery, constituents may raise issues of concern in the same manner that a person may directly consult a general practitioner (GP) in their surgery (a "surgery" being the term for the GP's workplace, an "office" in American parlance). The issues may relate to local issues (street crime, litter, a request for intervention by the representative on behalf of the constituent with local or national government) or to national policy matters.[2] Often the constituent's issue will be followed up by a caseworker or assistant. Surgery meetings are usually confidential and differ from town hall meetings, which are open to many people at the same time.

"It is up to each MP to decide whether they have any surgeries at all and if so, how many and in what locations. MPs often use local party offices, church halls or rooms in public houses as the venues, with a number of surgeries possibly being held at different locations around a constituency. Surgeries are traditionally held on Fridays or at weekends when MPs have returned from sittings of parliament in Westminster. Some MPs' surgeries are "appointment only",[3] some "drop-in",[4] and others a mix..."
bbm sbm

^ Surgery (politics) - Wikipedia

Sad, sad, sad news re Sir David Amess.

I learn something new on W/S everyday, often from our Sleuthers across the pond. This time a political term, "Constituency surgery."

"A political surgery, constituency surgery, constituency clinic, mobile office or sometimes advice surgery, in British and Irish politics, is a series of one-to-one meetings that a Member of Parliament (MP),... political officeholder may have with their constituents.[1] At a surgery, constituents may raise issues of concern in the same manner that a person may directly consult a general practitioner (GP) in their surgery (a "surgery" being the term for the GP's workplace, an "office" in American parlance). The issues may relate to local issues (street crime, litter, a request for intervention by the representative on behalf of the constituent with local or national government) or to national policy matters.[2] Often the constituent's issue will be followed up by a caseworker or assistant. Surgery meetings are usually confidential and differ from town hall meetings, which are open to many people at the same time.

"It is up to each MP to decide whether they have any surgeries at all and if so, how many and in what locations. MPs often use local party offices, church halls or rooms in public houses as the venues, with a number of surgeries possibly being held at different locations around a constituency. Surgeries are traditionally held on Fridays or at weekends when MPs have returned from sittings of parliament in Westminster. Some MPs' surgeries are "appointment only",[3] some "drop-in",[4] and others a mix..."
bbm sbm

^ Surgery (politics) - Wikipedia
Good to see you this side of the water al66pine.

Police have arrested a 25-year-old Somalian man on suspicion of murdering the Conservative MP Sir David Amess.

Sir David Amess dies: Somalian man, 25, arrested on suspicion of stabbing MP to death - latest news

In which case it seems somewhat premature that Essex police initially stated they were not seeking anyone else. There could be an Islamic terrorist connection.

I can see a massive ramping of MP's security, particularly at constituency surgeries following this horrific event.

https://www.essex.police.uk/news/es...h-on-sea-man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-murder/

Last edited:
In which case it seems somewhat premature that Essex police initially stated they were not seeking anyone else. There could be an Islamic terrorist connection.

I can see a massive ramping of MP's security, particularly at constituency surgeries following this horrific event.

https://www.essex.police.uk/news/es...h-on-sea-man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-murder/

I took it to mean that they believed it was a lone assailant, who they had in custody.

Surely they would always have to do inquiries to see if the person had told anyone their plans or if they were working with others as part of a plot?

I also think things like this often are done by someone who is bearing a grudge against government as their own life feels like it's falling apart, though 25 seems young for that to be the motive. But there have been other motives behind high-profile single stabbings before, and I would think police are keeping an open mind at this stage as they look into this individual and his life etc.

I took it to mean that they believed it was a lone assailant, who they had in custody.

Surely they would always have to do inquiries to see if the person had told anyone their plans or if they were working with others as part of a plot?

I also think things like this often are done by someone who is bearing a grudge against government as their own life feels like it's falling apart, though 25 seems young for that to be the motive. But there have been other motives behind high-profile single stabbings before, and I would think police are keeping an open mind at this stage as they look into this individual and his life etc.
Also, they cant assume its terrorism on the basis of the killer being Somalian. They'd be accused of discrimination.

Also, they cant assume its terrorism on the basis of the killer being Somalian. They'd be accused of discrimination.

No assumption needed. It's a legitimate line of enquiry as are others.

The wording of the original press statement from Essex police included the wording:

"We have recovered a knife from the scene and are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

We are continuing to appeal for anyone who saw anything or has CCTV, dash cam or doorbell footage to come forward."

In my view this is to establish how the arrested individual travelled to the scene of the crime, where from and if he was facilitated by a third party in carrying out his actions.

It is also necessary to reassure the public and provide assurance was that there were no others directly involved in the attack still outstanding.

A terrible, tragic thing to happen. I'm withholding judgement on any sort of organized terrorist thing. For now. Lots of people are not happy with lots of things right now, Covid has taken a terrible toll on everyone's morale, there could be any number of things the suspect was angry about.

May Sir David Amass rest in peace.

Sometimes, I feel like the world has run completely melancholy mad. Everywhere.

moo

Shocked and saddened by today's tragic events. I follow politics very closely and often watch debates in parliament, while I didn't agree with him on most things, I always respected David Amess as an independently minded, principled politician who was always respectful of those on the other side and was clearly well liked by other MPs of all political affiliations as the many tributes today show.

He was well known for often lobbying ministers to get his constituency of Southend recognised as a city, I really hope that now happens in his memory.

This post from Paula Sherriff, a former Labour MP who lost her seat in 2019 and survived cancer last year is a good insight into his character, the support she had from David despite them being on opposing political sides is very moving.

https://twitter.com/paulasherriff/status/1449039257587359745

RIP Sir.
It seems more and more mentally unstable people attack in public in Europe.
Plymouth attack, attack in Norway and now this :(

Politicians are especially vulnerable because people blame them for their frustrations.
Attack ideas, not people!
Or maybe discuss instead of attacking.

Last edited:
Sir David Amess' killer calmly waited before stabbing MP up to 17 times

He is said to have stabbed the married dad of five up to 17 times — without saying a word — at 12.05pm.

The two women ran out and tried to raise the alarm.

Police who raced to the scene recovered a knife before bundling the suspect, a 25-year-old British national of Somali origin, into the back of a van and driving him away.

Detectives and MI5 were last night trying to establish if he was inspired by Islamic terrorism.

An air ambulance landed in a field near Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex.

Medics tried to revive Southend West MP Sir David but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Shocked friends and colleagues said it was a planned attack.

Councillor Daniel Nelson told The Sun: “We know he stabbed David and waited for the police. It was completely premeditated. He knew he was going to do it.

“I’m heartbroken. He was a champion of Southend. He always remembered the details of people’s lives.

“It’s a galling attack. He was loved across the whole town.”

UK police: MP Amess killing was terrorism, potentally tied to Islamic extremism

British police on Friday night declared the killing of MP David Amess earlier in the day a terrorist incident.

“Senior National Coordinator for Counter-Terrorism Policing, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon formally declared the incident as terrorism,” police said in a statement.

“The early investigation has revealed a potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism.”

The Times reported that the suspected killer was a Muslim man aged 25, believed to be of Somali descent. Multiple UK media outlets reported that the man is believed to be a British national.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back