VERDICT WATCH UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #8

What? No! What the actual hell?!
19 seconds ago

Jury have been sent home for the day​

The jury in the Old Bailey trial of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon, who are accused over the death of their baby, has been sent home.
Judge Mark Lucraft KC told them to return to resume deliberations next Thursday, 30 May.
Holly Evans23 May 2024 16:32

Jury have been sent home for the day
The jury in the Old Bailey trial of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon, who are accused over the death of their baby, has been sent home.

Judge Mark Lucraft KC told them to return to resume deliberations next Thursday, 30 May.

.....what??

I've never known a more confusing, stopping and starting, faffing, waste of time.... (Admittedly I didn't follow the Letby trial) but what is going on?!
MOO

Reminding myself that it takes as long as it takes. Still frustrating though

What? No! What the actual hell?!
19 seconds ago

Jury have been sent home for the day​

Holly Evans23 May 2024 16:32

So frustrating but I bet it’s now because it’s a bank holiday and half term coming up someone has commitments

I think they've returned some verdicts and Judge is giving them one last day to see if they can reach a verdict on whichever charge/s they are stuck on.
My guess is tomorrow he will call it in.

( trying to be optimistic here and it's all MOO of course )

I think they've returned some verdicts and Judge is giving them one last day to see if they can reach a verdict on whichever charge/s they are stuck on.
My guess is tomorrow he will call it in.

( trying to be optimistic here and it's all MOO of course )
Apart from that it won't be tomorrow because they're not back again until next Thursday. Other than that you're spot on I think. Perhaps they thought with another long delay ahead before deliberations resume again they'd better just take what they have now before another recess?
By the way I have absolutely no idea how information gets from the courtroom to thelawpages server. Maybe whoever updated that thought they were getting a full verdict and updated it accordingly?

Either way it's so frustrating! Like watching a boxing match go the full 12 rounds, the referee stands in the middle of the ring with a hand on the wrist of each of the two battered and bruised boxers then the Master of Ceremonies says "and the winner of this contest is... OK everyone it's time to go home! See you next Thursday!"

Agh! just.... AGH! :mad:

Apart from that it won't be tomorrow because they're not back again until next Thursday. Other than that you're spot on I think. Perhaps they thought with another long delay ahead before deliberations resume again they'd better just take what they have now before another recess?
By the way I have absolutely no idea how information gets from the courtroom to thelawpages server. Maybe whoever updated that thought they were getting a full verdict and updated it accordingly?

Either way it's so frustrating! Like watching a boxing match go the full 12 rounds, the referee stands in the middle of the ring with a hand on the wrist of each of the two battered and bruised boxers then the Master of Ceremonies says "and the winner of this contest is... OK everyone it's time to go home! See you next Thursday!"

Agh! just.... AGH! :mad:

Oh no, I didn't realise there was yet another delay.

I think you're right, Judge is taking what he can get for now.

Could it not be simply be the jury asking a question or needing clarification of a witness or defendants evidence which may require legal submissions from the counsels?
IS this a possibility or am I not interpreting it correctly?

Basically, you wouldn't want to be on a jury with me. I would drag the trial out 10x longer than planned because of all my questions. I'm just a regular person, Uni educated and curious.
Same here as well as needing post it notes, and a whole range of stationary and organisational furniture and a whiteboard. Bathroom breaks and the need to get up and move at least every 30-40 minutes and/or a fidget toy.

The day ended with legal submissions and resumes 9am tomorrow. Without the jury it seems. So odd.
I'm not sure that's right. There are no cases listed for Court 5 today at the Old Bailey. It probably means that the case is adjourned until 9am on the 30th.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back