UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts as well. In many countries, albeit more dangerous ones than ours, military personnel are considered targets and there are very strict protocols regarding their movements off duty - for their own personal security, and for national security in general, given the type of political and other problems that can arise if a service person goes missing or gets captured. I lived in the Middle East for a while and military personnel there would never go out alone no matter what the time of day or night; all activities would be organised by the army itself, with transport and security arrangements provided. It was definitely hard for the young people involved, but it went with the territory.I don't know about British Army and Air Force rules, but given that the British national security level is currently at 'severe' (is that correct?), one would assume that that would come with implications for the military.I agree with you 100% that even if Corrie's disappearance has absolutely nothing to do with terrorism or politics - and there's no evidence, as far as we know, that it does - the whole episode raises a lot of questions about security and safety. The fact that Corrie is a service man also has legal and other implications for how his disappearance is investigated and reported, so however you look at it, you can't take his job out of the equation.That's not to criticize the Air Force or anyone else involved here. No-one has done anything "wrong".
With you on this Scorpio & Atara. And not just Corrie being in the forces, but with family in the police as well & N's role as an FLO. All this "the lads couldn't stop him going off on his own" "he's a creature of habit" has always concerned me.My experience of Honington specifically was they were very good on duty of care; not just for the trainee gunners, bearing in mind how young some are, but for all staff, like rest periods after exercises to stop 'driving tired'.However, it's been the case for a long time about watching for each other on nights out. Then again, it's like any rules and regs - there's got to be some personal responsibility and people have to follow them! I imagine a degree of complacency and bravado creeps in - I always do this and I've been fine. I imagine anyone who's been out with Corrie will have had some serious questions asked of them. I wonder what the make-up of his 'clubbing' group is, whether there was anyone above airman rank (thinking corporal).

Son tells me, Based w, England, they all were warned about being on their own whilst off the base at lunch times and after work/shift especially down town when many go in together but through the night they tend to bomb burst onto areas/places etc, of their own choice and their 'alert state' increased for a short while. (now reverted back to what it was). Even the families, leaflets through the doors of married Quarters etc, kids in play grounds on the married patch everybody was informed about it and to report anything untoward, strange cars, personnel etc.

Very interesting. Thanks for that info.

When you say that the alert state has reverted back to what it was, what does that mean, practically speaking?

Does anyone really believe that he's still alive? I don't understand the arguments for going AWOL. Is there any previous indication that he'd do something like this? Anything that would suggest that he's still alive but is choosing to stay missing?

Does anyone really believe that he's still alive? I don't understand the arguments for going AWOL. Is there any previous indication that he'd do something like this? Anything that would suggest that he's still alive but is choosing to stay missing?
yes in my opinion I think that we have a very good chance that he is alive and AWOL, we have no DNA what so ever or any evidence that he has come to any harm, all we have is a missing person at this stage until we have evidence to say different ,

With you on this Scorpio & Atara. And not just Corrie being in the forces, but with family in the police as well & N's role as an FLO. All this "the lads couldn't stop him going off on his own" "he's a creature of habit" has always concerned me.My experience of Honington specifically was they were very good on duty of care; not just for the trainee gunners, bearing in mind how young some are, but for all staff, like rest periods after exercises to stop 'driving tired'.However, it's been the case for a long time about watching for each other on nights out. Then again, it's like any rules and regs - there's got to be some personal responsibility and people have to follow them! I imagine a degree of complacency and bravado creeps in - I always do this and I've been fine. I imagine anyone who's been out with Corrie will have had some serious questions asked of them. I wonder what the make-up of his 'clubbing' group is, whether there was anyone above airman rank (thinking corporal).

Agree with all of your thinking, Miss French. His mother's role thickens the plot as well.

Personally I was surprised how open his family were about the fact that he was sleeping, walking alone, etc., while drunk. Complacency and bravado and a kind of "boys will be boys" kind of thinking do seem to be a big part of this.

And yes, it would be interesting to know more about his clubbing group...

My mapping system suggests an uninterrupted journey of 11 miles and 19 minutes from the 'Horseshoe' to Barton Mills roundabout. How does that slot into our timeline now that we're reviewing it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very interesting. Thanks for that info.

When you say that the alert state has reverted back to what it was, what does that mean, practically speaking?
Could not rightly or accurately tell you but it truly hacked him and his family off no end, as they had arranged a trip to me the week after and it was cancelled due to all this happening the week before and he was however, eventually allowed about 6-7 weeks later. I used to know them all, (alert states and warnings/alerts), but like many things they over time change, or the titles still remain but the meanings within the title are often re-classified to appertain to mean other things. I've been away for a good few years now, sorry.
You normally can see the' alert boards' just inside the main gates on all military establishments.

Could not rightly or accurately tell you but it truly hacked him and his family off no end, as they had arranged a trip to me the week after and it was cancelled due to all this happening the week before and he was however, eventually allowed about 6-7 weeks later. I used to know them all, (alert states and warnings/alerts), but like many things they over time change, or the titles still remain but the meanings within the title are often re-classified to appertain to mean other things. I've been away for a good few years now, sorry.

Thanks for that, Jean-Claud. Yes, it must be very restrictive and annoying for people sometimes. After Lee Rigby I would have thought the ship would have got a lot tighter on a permanent basis but it doesn't really seem so.

If anyone here has more info on the military it would be very interesting.

If the vast majority on here's concensus is abduction it strikes me as an extremely well executed one.

I mean he has vanished without trace

Thanks for that, Jean-Claud. Yes, it must be very restrictive and annoying for people sometimes. After Lee Rigby I would have thought the ship would have got a lot tighter on a permanent basis but it doesn't really seem so.

Such as and along what lines?

Like Jean-Claud I'm not current, but what sort of info are you interested in?

Such as and along what lines?

Thanks Jean-Claud and Miss French

Just about security really. Is it normal for personnel to be out alone at night? Throw in large amounts of alcohol and the person is every vulnerable. I sort of find it hard to believe that this is considered safe and responsible conduct...

Again, I'm not criticizing Corrie or anyone else. For the purposes of ths case, I'm interested in whether this conduct was within usual Air Force parameters or not.

On the news this morning they were discussing the Berlin terror attack and said the UK is now on a 'severe' warning level, the highest being 'critical'.
Someone on an earlier post also mentioned the boards inside all military bases, I was on an Army base this morning and the board did say severe warning status although I didn't have to go through any more security checks than normal.

If the vast majority on here's concensus is abduction it strikes me as an extremely well executed one.

I mean he has vanished without trace

Or perhaps it is just a liaison that started off innocent, and for whatever reason turned nasty or violent.

And there's always the possibility that Corrie was given a lift somewhere, again quite innocently. He could have been dropped off at a certain point, and had an accident in his vulnerable state. Perhaps he fell down somewhere and we've just yet to find him.

On the news this morning they were discussing the Berlin terror attack and said the UK is now on a 'severe' warning level, the highest being 'critical'.
Someone on an earlier post also mentioned the boards inside all military bases, I was on an Army base this morning and the board did say severe warning status although I didn't have to go through any more security checks than normal.

Interesting, Pooks.

So what does that mean in terms of the actual rules of conduct of military personnel themselves? Does it change anything about their training, or what they are permitted to do off-duty? Or is it just a case of being more careful generally speaking?

We've been on "severe" for a couple of years now and only hit "critical" twice since the levels started (for a few days each time in August 2006 and June/July 2007)

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

(By the way, "severe" means a terrorist attack is highly likely. Yikes.)

Thanks Jean-Claud and Miss French

Just about security really. Is it normal for personnel to be out alone at night? Throw in large amounts of alcohol and the person is every vulnerable. I sort of find it hard to believe that this is considered safe and responsible conduct...

Again, I'm not criticizing Corrie or anyone else. For the purposes of ths case, I'm interested in whether this conduct was within usual Air Force parameters or not.
We have been told countless times this is normal Corrie behaviour by both the family and his CO. The answer therefore IMO will be in how and with whom he normally spent his weekends off. This will therefore be known by these people who knew him best. This is where the answer must lie imho.

We have been told countless times this is normal Corrie behaviour by both the family and his CO. The answer therefore IMO will be in how and with whom he normally spent his weekends off. This will therefore be known by these people who knew him best. This is where the answer must lie imho.

Normal behaviour for him doesn't necessarily mean abnormal behaviour in general though. He clearly has no trouble being reckless. It could translate both ways. Reckless enough to get a lift with a stranger or reckless enough to go awol. By reckless I mean reckless decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair