UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
N was asked in Q&A if the phone had GPS turned on and the answer was no.
Microsoft Find My Phone I am sure works with data alone if GPS is off, and it logs position via internal Nokia maps and on the Microsoft server MUCH more accurate than mobile networks 'triangulation' - it tracks movement via various sources.

I would say it's not accurate. They said they were looking at a lot of options and all options were on the table (including third party).

They were accused of saying that they'd ruled out a third party. There was a TV interview where they said they didn't say that.

But Nicola and UT seem convinced of it anyway and nothing has seemed to change their minds over it, because I think UT included this allegation in one of his updates well after the police response to it.
The bin lorry and driver are actually the involved third party .

How did she know?
I think because it didn't pick up the phone's location and possibly also the fact that it had been her phone, she may have turned it off. I have mine turned off, but I only have to go a few miles and my provider sends me a message saying "Welcome to France!"

<modsnip>
If info from Biffa/recycle/landfill companies was not forthcoming or doubtful accurate why court action enforcing the data was taken ?

Interviewing people under caution/arrest can have the reverse effect of info forthcoming - was the data correct/doctored - <modsnip>

As for kidnap/abduction no, but the error of SP it is now possible remains will not show assault/murder of a weapon on even any bones given animals etc, there will be lack of evidence to persue did C get in the bin or was he put there, SP may have a murderer/serial murder or serviceman/gay focused murderer walking about and because of many failures and thus time it will/may never be known. That is not good investigation practice, its failure of many multitudes.

<modsnip>

No witnesses saw C so he had to have got in the bin unseen very quickly so there is no evidence of foul play at all. If someone put him in the bin, how did that person evade cctv? And evade being seen by witnesses?

If there is a serial murderer, how did s/he evade cctv?

It is now seemingly the simplest of solutions. Yet we all still find it hard to accept. Even the poll shows we don't believe he got into the bin himself.

I tend to agree with you. I think the idea of a Biffa employee accidentally killing Corrie, disposing of the body and then covering it up is pretty unlikely. I was thinking more, perhaps, that Biffa were trying to cover up the fact that they hadn't followed correct procedures (e.g. in taking the bin to landfill rather than the recycling plant), but you'd hope that even there they'd have the sense to realise it wasn't a good idea to hinder a police investigation. It seems much more likely that they accidentally gave the wrong weight to police, though why they apparently gave it with such confidence is the bit that puzzles. They could just have said "We can't be sure this number was recorded accurately."

Then again, perhaps they did say that and perhaps the police are trying to cover up their own ineptitude by passing the blame onto Biffa...
IMO I'd say this was a case of poor management, and having inexperienced staff taking on work they were not properly trained for - <modsnip>

I think because it didn't pick up the phone's location and possibly also the fact that it had been her phone, she may have turned it off. I have mine turned off, but I only have to go a few miles and my provider sends me a message saying "Welcome to France!"
Aye says it works with data alone even if GPS was off. Also, couldn't N call provider and get it turned on to locate the phone?

Since reading more about corries personal life, I had thought that maybe he had gone into the HS area to meet someone, but there are so many ifs and buts about that and seeming as the police have made such a mess of the biggest line of inquiry so far, you cant trrust any of what they have said so far or anything else that has been said.
But - I have a feeling this could have been a tragic, tragic accident, maybe Corrie went into the HS area for a wee, maybe he was going to phone a pal for a lift home, and put the phone on the edge of the bin whilst he wee'd, maybe the phone fell into the bin and corrie felt he was able to go in after it, maybe fainting from the going head over in to the bin + alcohol, or hitting his head and knocking him unconscious - regarding Biffa, sounds like an overall lack of competence, staff not knowing or being trained in to how to interpret data regarding weight/load/material, bin men, not giving a damn how heavy the load or what they were collecting as long as its job done with no complaints then they have no bother from the bosses
I also think if there was foul play and the police could be trusted on their investigation to date, then we would not be having such a varied debate on what happened, I am sad to say that maybe we wont really know for certain what happened, why and if anyone else was involved

Aye says it works with data alone even if GPS was off. Also, couldn't N call provider and get it turned on to locate the phone?
I don't know about these things. They only seem to have the pings on the masts. If the provider could turn it on, would it actually be of any use without the phone being turned on?

Why did they turn down help from the detectives 'organisation'. I don't think Nicola has mentioned her reasons publicly and she's the only one who knows. She ended up saying that she'd decided to go with Forbes' team instead of hiring private detectives because she felt at that point that the police were doing a good job and that Forbes' team had a better chance of contributing novel information to the investigation that the police couldn't do themselves and that most PI's would not be able to do.
It was the chairman of a PI's trade body offering assistance, pretty much like a double glazing salesman offering a free quote. But even if the offer was no-strings-attached, a private investigator wasn't what they claim they needed. From what they said (Tony and Nicola) MSI gave them three things:
1. Collation of all the information they have on e.g. movements of people/vehicles into some kind of geo-temporal database that can be visualised
2. Further analysis of phone movements (apparently looking for other vehicles whose movements were consistent with Corries phone
3. Trawling through social media for "trends" - e.g. where a handful of people identify a person independently

Their idea being that an investigator would duplicate the police work where as the above would complement it. Whether they were correct in that regard I don't know. I suspect some background checks on people of interest might have been useful, though in the light of recent revelations it may all be moot.

Find My Phone locates via GPS/data/WIfi (open/stored & auto connect app BT/SKy/o2 etc), as mentioned by other(?) hia mums email would no longer be logged to the phone - a savvy 23 year old doesnt want his parent via SkyDrive/Email (cloud) seeing his pics and info, if C reset that phone GPS would/could be active ON HIS Microsoft Account he logged in with, N email would no longer be linked with Find My Phone so thats a red herring if N/SP think they know GPS or all location reporting services were available via internal nokia maps and reported back to Microsofts servers. The phone may still show on N Microsoft account but not up to date data after C logged into the phone. It is a possibility this info has been missed from C own Microsoft Login (I think this can be any email not just a MS domain email).

Microsoft Find My Phone I am sure works with data alone if GPS is off, and it logs position via internal Nokia maps and on the Microsoft server MUCH more accurate than mobile networks 'triangulation' - it tracks movement via various sources.
On looking into this, it appears the FMP feature has to be set up first in the settings, so may not work if that's not done and also if the phone is turned off?

I don't know about these things. They only seem to have the pings on the masts. If the provider could turn it on, would it actually be of any use without the phone being turned on?
That's why I am bringing it up, mobile trangulation is limited and thats all I have read, the mobile operating system has its own, Windows (can only be activated/deactivated on handset or internet login) I know when changing Microsoft Login - on old Microsoft accounts the 'device' has to be REMOVED from the old account but it does not report new or sync data (email/pics etc), it does that to the new Microsoft Account details. Unless N knows her sons Microsoft Account password the available data linked including location movement is secure & Microsoft would like Apple or Android/Blackberry give access without court order. The device still showing in N Microsoft account would not be reporting anything with a new Microsoft Account login. That info if available on C Microsoft Account is far better than mobile networks triangulation.

Folks, if you state something as fact, you must be able to provide a link to an approved source to back it up.

Statements beginning with "I heard" or "I read somewhere" don't cut it.

If you can't link it, you can't post it.

:tyou:

On looking into this, it appears the FMP feature has to be set up first in the settings, so may not work if that's not done and also if the phone is turned off?
The mobile was pinging the network till 8am it is reported. Being a officer N may has disabled features, but C a 23 yr old may have reset the phone and activated, all I'm saying is N own Microsoft Account may show the handset as linked but not the possible data that may be available on C MA, its strange all the refrences are about triangulation, then someone said N checked. How many 23 yr old want a parent to see all their stuff? N was no longer logged to receive/access data from that handset just because it still shows in her MA as a previous user - data may be available , but looking at the wrong MA will throw a red herring up as no data via GPS/data/wifi in N MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member