GUILTY UK - Dawn Walker, 52, newly married, Lightcliffe, Halifax 31st October 2021

A man who killed his wife on their wedding night and stuffed her body into a suitcase has been jailed for life.
Thomas Nutt, 46, was found guilty of murdering Dawn Walker, 52, after a trial at Bradford Crown Court.
Nutt strangled Ms Walker just hours after they were married and stored her body in a cupboard before dumping it in bushes behind their home in Shirley Grove, Lightcliffe, near Halifax.
He was sentenced on Friday to a minimum of 21 years in prison.
Judge Jonathan Rose, sentencing, said: "It remains a mystery why you killed this woman who you had married only hours before you took her life.
"The impact of the sudden and violent death of this woman, at what should have been a time of very great happiness, will inevitably be substantial on those closest to her."

Ms Walker was last seen alive by the taxi driver who took her and Nutt back to their home following their wedding on 27 October 2021.
Her body was discovered four days later in a suitcase behind their home.
The court heard on the night she died Nutt, who had a history of violence towards women, had punched and strangled Ms Walker.
He then hid her body in a cupboard before going on a two-day holiday to Skegness alone.

While he was away he sent a text message to one of Ms Walker's daughters pretending to be her mother in an act of "deception", the judge said.
When he returned to West Yorkshire he stuffed her body into the suitcase and dumped it in a field. CCTV footage played in court showed Nutt dragging the suitcase along a gravel path before coming back to cover over the wheel marks.
He then rang police on 31 October to tell them Ms Walker had gone missing and then helped to carry out a search for her, before her body was discovered.
Nutt later confessed to killing Ms Walker but denied murder.
Judge Rose said while he did not believe Nutt intended to kill Ms Walker, but that he did mean to cause her "very serious injury", adding: "Dawn Walker died because you are a bully, used to getting your own way with women, used to controlling and manipulating women and used to using your considerable size advantage to inflict violence on women if you considered it necessary to do so."
In a statement read out in court, Ms Walker's eldest daughter Codie said: "There are no words to describe how it feels for us every single day, waking up knowing what this person did to her, it is truly heart breaking for each and every one of us."
"I pray he is never allowed to do this to another family."
Ms Walker's sister Lisa said Nutt manipulated his victim and isolated her from family for three years "before his ungodly hands took her away from us forever".
Lisa Walker told the court: "I mourn for my sister who suffered so much and felt like she had nobody to turn to because this man made her feel worthless."

Also…Judge's cutting words to 'bully' who murdered wife on wedding day

Last edited:

A man who killed his wife on their wedding night and stuffed her body into a suitcase has been jailed for life.
Thomas Nutt, 46, was found guilty of murdering Dawn Walker, 52, after a trial at Bradford Crown Court.
Nutt strangled Ms Walker just hours after they were married and stored her body in a cupboard before dumping it in bushes behind their home in Shirley Grove, Lightcliffe, near Halifax.
He was sentenced on Friday to a minimum of 21 years in prison.
Judge Jonathan Rose, sentencing, said: "It remains a mystery why you killed this woman who you had married only hours before you took her life.
"The impact of the sudden and violent death of this woman, at what should have been a time of very great happiness, will inevitably be substantial on those closest to her."

Ms Walker was last seen alive by the taxi driver who took her and Nutt back to their home following their wedding on 27 October 2021.
Her body was discovered four days later in a suitcase behind their home.
The court heard on the night she died Nutt, who had a history of violence towards women, had punched and strangled Ms Walker.
He then hid her body in a cupboard before going on a two-day holiday to Skegness alone.

While he was away he sent a text message to one of Ms Walker's daughters pretending to be her mother in an act of "deception", the judge said.
When he returned to West Yorkshire he stuffed her body into the suitcase and dumped it in a field. CCTV footage played in court showed Nutt dragging the suitcase along a gravel path before coming back to cover over the wheel marks.
He then rang police on 31 October to tell them Ms Walker had gone missing and then helped to carry out a search for her, before her body was discovered.
Nutt later confessed to killing Ms Walker but denied murder.
Judge Rose said while he did not believe Nutt intended to kill Ms Walker, but that he did mean to cause her "very serious injury", adding: "Dawn Walker died because you are a bully, used to getting your own way with women, used to controlling and manipulating women and used to using your considerable size advantage to inflict violence on women if you considered it necessary to do so."
In a statement read out in court, Ms Walker's eldest daughter Codie said: "There are no words to describe how it feels for us every single day, waking up knowing what this person did to her, it is truly heart breaking for each and every one of us."
"I pray he is never allowed to do this to another family."
Ms Walker's sister Lisa said Nutt manipulated his victim and isolated her from family for three years "before his ungodly hands took her away from us forever".
Lisa Walker told the court: "I mourn for my sister who suffered so much and felt like she had nobody to turn to because this man made her feel worthless."

Also…Judge's cutting words to 'bully' who murdered wife on wedding day

This raises more questions than it answers. It seems the family were aware of this long term abusive relationship. What did they try to do to help?

I know it's incredibly complex with the victim often manipulated to believe that no one will have them, and they stay.

Abuse is normalised, possibly from witnessing the parents abusive relationship.

Something perceived as 'love' is intertwined with abuse to become something entirely perverse.

Such a tragic ending. Rest in Peace Dawn Walker.

Such a terribly sad story.

I know, from personal experience, that it can be really hard to help a loved one in an abusive relationship.

I lost count of the number of times I took a domestic violence statement, had medical exam conducted and photos taken of injuries, to provide the grounds for arrest, interview, charge and prosecution......only for the woman days later to want to retract her statement (possibly with coercion) but who says "I love him though". Heartbreaking and infuriating together.

Police sometimes prosecute anyway and the court issues a witness summons to the woman to attend court and give evidence. Sometimes the victims original statement and the other evidence are enough. It's only done as a blunt tool when the offence is serious enough and the evidence strong enough for a guilty verdict and a custodial sentence, thereby potentially breaking the link for the woman, in the hope that she will live free of the abuse and not reunite once he is released.

As Roxy Music said "Love is the Drug". It's the various hormones produced by a situation that we can become addicted to, be that gambling, illicit drugs, sex, another person, high-risk sports etc. Without the activity and the resultant high we can get withdrawal symptoms and crave the situation that gives us the high again....viscious circle!

JMO

Suitcase killer is attacked in jail and rushed to hospital after starting life sentence for murdering wife just days into their marriage​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back