UK, death of an 8 month baby In a nursery, Cheadle Stockport, 9 May 2022, ‘arrests’

Prosecutor Martin Reid KC is addressing the court.

He is reading the victim personal statement from Genevieve's mum, Katie Wheeler.

"In hospital I ran to her and saw her lying on the bed surrounded by more doctors than I had ever seen.

I held her for hours after she died
until she felt heavy and her face started to change.

I did not want to let her go".

'I am dead inside'

Ms Wheeler's statement adds:

"I am dead inside and incapable of living.
She is my little girl,
she lived inside me -
she is a part of me".

'The light of our lives'

Gigi's mum adds:

"I want the world to know how loved she was,
and how desperate I am to hold her,
to feel her cheek next to mine.

My little Gigi was - and is -
a beautiful soul,
the image of her Daddy
and the light of our lives."

Last edited:

'This is quite clearly an appalling case - she is not a monster'​

"What has happened will have a serious impact on her for quite some time," Ms Elliott continued.
"This is quite clearly an appalling case and she will receive a lengthy custodial experience. Nothing said on her behalf is sought to minimise the impact on the family of Genevieve. It is also right to say Kate Roughley's life is ruined by what she has done.
"She is devastated by her actions. She is not a monster. We accept the dreadful impact this has had and will always have on Genevieve's family. We submit that the court should not accept she was cold-hearted and callous. More accurately described as careless, unthinking and exasperated. The behaviour of a woman at the end of her tether. She undoubtedly failed Genevieve - she also failed herself."
Ms Elliott KC said the court should consider whether Roughley was failed by senior leaders at the 'dangerously understaffed' nursery.

Gigi's father's statement

John Meehan said:

"I have a beautiful daughter,
her name is Genevieve.

She won't get to experience those moments that make life so wonderful.

Your callous disregard for her life.

I will never comfort her when she is nervous on the first day of school.

I won't be able to pick her up and hold her when she has fallen.
I will not hear her first words.

Your actions have shattered my heart and soul.

I have a beautiful daughter,
her name is Genevieve.

She did not know,
either could we,
every interaction for you with her was in inconvenience to you.

You put your personal convenience above her."

'You are a child killer'

Mr Meehan added:

"Because of your actions
her little body suffered gross indecency of invasive CPR and post mortem.

You have shown no remorse at all for her life.

You could have taken responsibility.

You are cold and callous and cruel.

I have a beautiful daughter
and her name is Genevieve.

I could not have known, someone paid and trusted to provide her care,
that she was not to receive that care.

She loved to laugh,
spend time with her sister,
she loved to play with a tambourine,
and to play with her dog.

To you,
you have no legacy.
You are a child killer.

She has a legacy.

I am so proud of her,
and for as long as I am living
I will always say
I have a beautiful daughter
and her name is Genevieve."

Last edited:

Judge refers to 'harrowing video'​

The judge adds:
During the afternoon you put Genevieve down to sleep on a beanbag, tightly swaddled her, restricting her ability to move and placed a blanket over her. As harrowing video and audio shows, you left her, only carrying out the most cursory of checks, her increasing distress most apparent. She can be seen desperately moving her body and crying and coughing. In doing so, she sank further into the soft beanbag because exhausted and overheated.
I am certain that every person in this courtroom was willing you to pick her up and remove her from danger from where you placed her - knowing that you would not.

“As common knowledge and safe sleep practice, a baby is required to be placed to sleep on its back. You told the jury you understand the importance of adhering to the nursery's policy on safe sleeping.

As an NVQ level 3 qualified nursery worker you had been trained in safe sleep practice. You had 17 years experience. By May 9 you had been working in the baby room for over 2 years and failed to adhere to any requirements of safe sleep practice.

In evidence,you said your swaddling of her had not been so tight as to restrict her ability to move and her blanket had not covered her head. You said your title as deputy ensured no further responsibility and management condoned practices you adopted.

There had been two cots available at the time. By its verdict the jury has rejected your evidence. Had you conducted such checks, Genevieve's distress would have been abundantly apparent. Mere visible checks from a distance were woefully inadequate.”

'You left her to die'​

From the CCTV it is apparent, at best, you considered Genevieve to be a nuisance and displayed apathy towards her.
On morning 9 May you berated her for only sleeping for 20 minutes having called her vile. She was placed on a beanbag, notwithstanding her kicking wriggling, her tears, you failed to check.
Her crying intensified, carrying a grunting tone, even then you didn't approach her, pick her up or show concern for her welfare. You left her to die.

Kate Roughley sentenced for 14 YEARS​

Kate Roughley has been asked to stand. "I sentence you to 14 years in prison," the judge tells her.
She did not react during the hearing. She will serve two thirds of the sentence and the rest on licence.
There were gasps from the public gallery when sentence was passed.

"Roughley

'does not post a serious risk',

judge says.

The judge said she has considered the issue of dangerousness under sentencing provisions, adding:

'I am of the opinion you do not pose a serious risk of significant harm to members of the public and the Crown does not seek to persuade me to the contrary'."

:oops:

Last edited:
Summary

"Both Genevieve's parents said
they could not forgive themselves for leaving her at the nursery
but the judge said they had nothing to feel guilty for
as they had left her with 'qualified nursing staff'."

:(

Prosecutor Martin Reid KC is addressing the court.

He is reading the victim personal statement from Genevieve's mum, Katie Wheeler.

"In hospital I ran to her and saw her lying on the bed surrounded by more doctors than I had ever seen.

I held her for hours after she died
until she felt heavy and her face started to change.

I did not want to let her go".

'I am dead inside'

Ms Wheeler's statement adds:

"I am dead inside and incapable of living.
She is my little girl,
she lived inside me -
she is a part of me".

'The light of our lives'

Gigi's mum adds:

"I want the world to know how loved she was,
and how desperate I am to hold her,
to feel her cheek next to mine.

My little Gigi was - and is -
a beautiful soul,
the image of her Daddy
and the light of our lives."

Heartbreaking

"What position did you put her on?” the officer asked.

“On her side, on her right side,” Roughley said, hands in her coat pockets and leaning backwards on her chair.

“I put her on her side and her face was on the left side. She was looking that way (indicated left),” she said, before laughing".

Laughing??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Averagemale
Back