UK UK - Diane Jones, 35, Coggeshall, Essex, murdered 23 July 1983

Here are the blàck railings outside Lees Farm (Colchester Road)

View attachment 346717
That does look like a spiked fence which makes our fence theory seem even more plausible, imo.

He waited nine days to report her missing. In theory, that could have given him enough time to fix/clean up the fence and do whatever else was needed to cover up what really happened. jmo

Robert Jones dead:

On face value it looks like Dr Jones was guilty, what clouds this is that Diane Jones was pregnant and it wasn’t Dr Jones baby.
The village had its fair share of dramatic events around the time Diane was murdered.
Check out Jimmy Bell, he seems to have been a pretty desperate type.
However, bookmakers would have Dr Jones as odds on favourite.

July 22 2023 rbbm
''A WEAPON that may have been used in a murder 40 years ago is being examined by police.''

“Unfortunately, we were unable to reach the evidential threshold required for a prosecution for murder on two separate occasions.

“This case will remain with our team. Several people have spoken to us recently who had not felt able to do so before, but we would still like to hear from anyone who believes they have information about the incident.”

''Diane, of Coggeshall, Essex, was found dead in Martlesham, Suffolk.

The county’s police have launched an investigation in France around a potential murder weapon.''

July 22 2023 rbbm
''A WEAPON that may have been used in a murder 40 years ago is being examined by police.''

“Unfortunately, we were unable to reach the evidential threshold required for a prosecution for murder on two separate occasions.

“This case will remain with our team. Several people have spoken to us recently who had not felt able to do so before, but we would still like to hear from anyone who believes they have information about the incident.”

''Diane, of Coggeshall, Essex, was found dead in Martlesham, Suffolk.

The county’s police have launched an investigation in France around a potential murder weapon.''
Interesting Dotr, strange that Dr J kept a murder weapon for such a long time.

Everything pointed to him being guilty, however, she could have died accidentally and he covered it up thinking that no one would believe him.

Two things immediately make him look suspicious:

1. He failed to report his wife as missing for 9 days (if memory serves).

2. He cleaned and repainted his front gate (which I believe was an iron spiked gate.

They were both the worst for wear having consumed a lot of alcohol. Diane was carried out to his car from the pub.

It’s not unreasonable to conclude that when they got home Dr J stopped the car near the house entrance and tried to carry Diane into the house.

If she then struggles, she could have fallen onto the gate and the spikes could easily have killed her.

Dr J would have realised that he needed to disguise the wound and did so using a hammer as described in the autopsy.

Hiding the exact cause of death and cleaning / painting the gate fits with this scenario.

"We first came across one another in August 1983 in the Chapel Inn pub in Coggeshall, Essex, when we were working on the story of missing woman Diane Jones, the wife of local GP Dr Jones.

Paul, who was born and grew up in Lincolnshire, was then chief reporter on the Colchester Gazette and I was an investigative reporter on the Sunday People. We took an instant liking to each other and joined forces against Fleet Street’s finest, whose newspapers had sent teams of their best reporters and photographers to follow up the suspicious disappearance of Mrs Jones. She had last been seen having a furious row with her husband, and falling off a stool in the bar of the Woolpack pub.

The elitist Daily boys looked down their noses at Paul because he was from the local paper. I could see they had made a big mistake.

That first week, with Paul’s help, his local Colchester contacts and collaboration, the People left the opposition for dead when we splashed on the exclusive revelation of a secret one-night-stand boyfriend of Mrs Jones, who had been beaten up at his flat when Dr Jones discovered his wife had enjoyed a three-in-a-bed romp with this man and ish mate one drunken night."

I’ve been wondering if Jimmy Bell might have been one of Diane Jones conquests.

April 1 2024
''An unsolved Suffolk murder case is set to feature on national TV on Easter Monday - more than 40 years after the victim's body was discovered in a copse.

The death of Diane Jones, whose body was found at Brightwell, near Martlesham, will be examined on Channel 5 in the programme Prime Suspect: Murder in Suburbia, which is set to hear new evidence from detectives, friends, lovers and neighbours.''
1711987551166.png
Dr Robert Jones, pictured right with his solicitor, was suspected of Diane's murder, but died in France (Image: Archive)
"The programme is due to air from 10pm until 11.40pm''.

April 1 2024
''An unsolved Suffolk murder case is set to feature on national TV on Easter Monday - more than 40 years after the victim's body was discovered in a copse.

The death of Diane Jones, whose body was found at Brightwell, near Martlesham, will be examined on Channel 5 in the programme Prime Suspect: Murder in Suburbia, which is set to hear new evidence from detectives, friends, lovers and neighbours.''
View attachment 494207
Dr Robert Jones, pictured right with his solicitor, was suspected of Diane's murder, but died in France (Image: Archive)
"The programme is due to air from 10pm until 11.40pm''.
Great, thanks for putting this up.
I did look at this case sometime ago and worked out what I thought was a logical conclusion.
It’ll be interesting to see what the documentary comes up with.

There was one person I found that has never been mentioned and was volatile, with a motive if Diane Jones was going to reveal she had a relationship with him.

There was one person I found that has never been mentioned and was volatile, with a motive if Diane Jones was going to reveal she had a relationship with him.
I'd say don't mention any suspect in public, unless he's already a known killer, or if he's named in the documentary.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back