GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Alyce

Reaction score
Ian Stewart has appeared in court today charged with the murder of his first wife, Diane – more than three years after he was convicted of murdering fiancée Helen Bailey and dumping her body in a cesspit at their Royston home.

Diane Stewart, died on June 25, 2010, aged 47 at the Bassingbourn home they shared. A re-investigation into her death began after Stewart was convicted of the 2016 murder of children’s author Ms Bailey.

Ian Stewart charged with murder after death of wife Diane in Bassingbourn in 2010

Stewart, now 59, has now been charged with the murder of his wife Diane Stewart, aged 47, in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire on June 25 2010.

He made a brief appearance before Judge Michael Kay QC at St Albans Crown Court. No plea was taken.

There will be a plea hearing on Monday 21 September. No date for a trial was set.

The prosecution asked for the judge to make a Contempt Order today, in an attempt to prevent a future jury knowing he had murdered before.

Judge Michael Kay QC refused : 'The view I take is that it (a Contempt Order) is not appropriate.

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC said: 'The purpose of it (a contempt order) is to preserve the integrity of the process until a crown court judge decides on issues. '

Amjad Malik QC, defending, said: 'We are neutral'.

The judge said: 'I am not going to make an order.'

Boyfriend convicted of murdering Helen Bailey charged with first wife's murder | Daily Mail Online

there is more at the link re the contempt order....

I see the Strimmer is prosecuting - Yeah !

Stewart, now 59, has now been charged with the murder of his wife Diane Stewart, aged 47, in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire on June 25 2010.

He made a brief appearance before Judge Michael Kay QC at St Albans Crown Court. No plea was taken.

There will be a plea hearing on Monday 21 September. No date for a trial was set.

The prosecution asked for the judge to make a Contempt Order today, in an attempt to prevent a future jury knowing he had murdered before.

Judge Michael Kay QC refused : 'The view I take is that it (a Contempt Order) is not appropriate.

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC said: 'The purpose of it (a contempt order) is to preserve the integrity of the process until a crown court judge decides on issues. '

Amjad Malik QC, defending, said: 'We are neutral'.

The judge said: 'I am not going to make an order.'

Boyfriend convicted of murdering Helen Bailey charged with first wife's murder | Daily Mail Online

there is more at the link re the contempt order....

That seems like great news - if I'm reading it right the prosecution believes there is enough evidence without his other conviction playing a part.

Hi all! Been a long time!
My goodness - I didn't expect this but am so pleased. I never thought there would be enough evidence to prove he murdered her as she was cremated. Wonder how the detectives got the evidence together but well done to them.
Although obviously tragic, Diane's family must be so pleased that he is being held to account.

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer QC.... don't know how Ian Stewart is coping with being prosecuted by the same person again, but my memories are bliss. Razor sharp he was at the time. If and when the case goes to court, let's hope someone does a live blog.

A case does not depend on one person of course, but still, the way Stuart Trimmer brought about #Justice for Helen Baily chiseling step by step through every detail, please let him bring #JusticeForDiane in the same manner.

Hi all! Been a long time!
My goodness - I didn't expect this but am so pleased. I never thought there would be enough evidence to prove he murdered her as she was cremated. Wonder how the detectives got the evidence together but well done to them.
Although obviously tragic, Diane's family must be so pleased that he is being held to account.
High five!! or maybe elbow these days. :D

Great news! I wasn't even on this site at the time of the first case but read through all the threads later on, never really expected to hear any more of it, so this was a welcome surprise today. Here's hoping for justice for Diane's family now; they must have always wondered ever since he was convicted for Helen's death.

This is a day we've been waiting for. I am sad for IS's sons - I hope they had learned to prepare for this dreadful news that he was even capable of murdering their mother. And I wish Diane's death and murder, could have prevented Helen's and Boris murder.

Last edited:
As I have just commented on the Helen Bailey thread, just saw this flag up on the Mail and was shouting 'No! No!' in disbelief after all this time and hearing nothing, followed by 'Yes! Yes!' as all of us who followed the original case (I was there, but had another name then!) had held suspicions about his first wife, given the circumstances of her death.

Wow.

Possibly some of the best news of 2020!!

The poor sons though. Wonder if they suspected anything untoward? Certainly - was it Diane's sister? seemed to feel there was more to her death than had been revealed given some of the comments on Diane's memorial page. I hope at least this is a chance for them to get answers, and justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back