'UK - Epsom college head Emma Pattinson, 45, found dead on campus along with husband George, 39, and daughter, Lettie, 7 - 6 Feb 2023

Zus

Reaction score
The headteacher of Epsom College, her seven-year-old daughter, and her husband have all been found dead on the grounds of the school.
Police were called to Epsom College, in Surrey, at 1am this morning where they made the horrific discovery.
The bodies of Emma Pattison, 45, her daughter Lettie, seven, and her husband George, 39, were all found

Extremely sad. The wording from the Chair of the Governors is all focused on the death of the Head and her child and expressing sympathy for her family so I'm afraid it suggests a very familiar scenario of murder/suicide. And a poor little 7 year old victim too - dreadful. Of course there are other options but we've seen similar situations many times haven't we.

I hoped there might be a gas leak or some other innocent (yet still tragic) explanation for this, but re-reading the article shared above, that seems unlikely since police were actually called to the residence at 1 AM.

As a result, I fear that the only question in my mind right now is which adult murdered the other and their child. Sounds like the headmaster position at this school was residential, which a spouse might’ve resented, not to mention that I worry that some of the residential students might've been exposed to this event (sounds of arguing, cries of distress, etc.).

To offer support for my suggestion that the residential job may have been stressful/not to the liking of everyone in the family, a snip from an article in The Sun (UK tabloid newspaper) with one (IMO) particularly telling phrase bolded by me:

“Emma was appointed the school’s first-ever female head in September last year.

She revealed to pupils in December that the family had bought a labrador, named Bella, to live with them within the school grounds.

She said: “In terms of transition it’s been a really big change for my family. We’ve moved house – we’ve bought a dog.

“I’ve got a new job, my husband has got a new job, that wasn’t meant to happen but it did and my daughter has started a new school so there’s been a lot of change for us as a family.”

Just IMO, because I’ve not read anything that suggests Emma was struggling to fulfill her professional duties, but it also couldn’t’ve been easy to be under pressure as the first female head of this esteemed school, especially knowing that, if you were ever let go, your family would be forced to uproot their lives as a result.

I find it interesting that there’s been little information reported about her husband besides his name and age. I am NOT suggesting anyone sleuth him (which would violate TOS) but I wonder, what was his job, and was it as prestigious, as high-pressure, or as public-facing as hers?

Last edited:
So sad and assume it’s a tragic killing. Interesting that the news are fully reporting on Emma’s job and yet hardly a reference to her husbands, although probably she’s the main interest in the story. I’m very local to this school and know staff/ students who go there, and they are shocked and devastated as you can imagine. Seems to have come out of the blue as she was very well liked and respected. I can’t say more until it appears in the MSM but it’s truly horrific.

George was a chartered accountant and the director of a management consultancy firm called Tanglewood 2016.

In one of her final social media posts, written in October last year, Ms Pattison celebrated the school's recent accolades.
'Wow! What an honour,' she wrote. 'We're thrilled to be Independent School of the Year.'

The Epsom College community seemed to value Ms Pattison's role at the school, alleging that she played a big role in the institution's recent successes.

more at the link ......

Edit to Add, I should imagine gun shots would have been heard, very sad.
Epsom College’s rifle range appeared to have been cordoned off on Monday morning after headteacher Emma Pattison and her husband and daughter were found dead at their home in the grounds of the Surrey boarding school.

Mrs Pattison, 45, her husband George Pattison, 39, and their seven-year-old daughter, Lettie, were found dead after police were called to their home at around 1am on Sunday.

Gun shots would have been heard for sure which would explain the police arriving. I am from Epsom and used to live on the road the college is on. One side of the college is fields, at the front there's a main road with some big houses, many converted to flats. To one side is another road with big houses and to the final side there's a road with lots of semi detached houses. Leading from that road are other roads with houses.

On the site of the college itself will have been boarding houses and there are several staff houses on site too. Or rather there used to be so I assume they are still there.

Gun shots would have been heard for sure which would explain the police arriving. I am from Epsom and used to live on the road the college is on. One side of the college is fields, at the front there's a main road with some big houses, many converted to flats. To one side is another road with big houses and to the final side there's a road with lots of semi detached houses. Leading from that road are other roads with houses.

On the site of the college itself will have been boarding houses and there are several staff houses on site too. Or rather there used to be so I assume they are still there.
An extremely sad event, particularly for their little girl and wider family and friends, not to mention the school.

George was a chartered accountant and the director of a management consultancy firm called Tanglewood 2016.

In one of her final social media posts, written in October last year, Ms Pattison celebrated the school's recent accolades.
'Wow! What an honour,' she wrote. 'We're thrilled to be Independent School of the Year.'

The Epsom College community seemed to value Ms Pattison's role at the school, alleging that she played a big role in the institution's recent successes.

more at the link ......

See no mention of Tanglewood here, but it’s early here in the US and I may have missedit…?
Thanks in advance for pointing out where in this article that info appears!

This is a crazy sad story made even more upsetting by the news that is breaking in relation as to what has occured.

My initial thoughts were carbon monoxide poisoning or some kind of tragic accident.

RIP to the little girl until more facts surrounding as to what actually happened. I'm certain she didn't cause this.

JMO

I've worked and lived at a boarding school in the UK. As staff it can be one of the perks of the job but on the other hand it can mean you have more duties and supervision to do on top of the normal teaching job. At times I felt it was sort of living in a bubble and hard to get away from, with a feeling like you never really left "work" as physically you were obviously there most of the week. Some staff lived with their partners. I think some can find it all quite difficult especially if you are new to that sort of environment. That's just my thoughts in general rather than referring to any specific case.

Last edited:
Sounds like from her recent podcast, that she admitted there was some very big changes in their lives for all of them, which must have made it very stressful, plus she is on public display all the time in a high pressure role which probably limited amount of time she could spend with a family compared to previously. She took on a very different role from her previous school, Maybe it wasn’t as easy to take on for all the members of the family, maybe if you don’t have the same personality or enjoy being on display in that kind of role 24/7, then it gets to you. Many men might feel emasculated by it.

Sounds like from her recent podcast, that she admitted there was some very big changes in their lives for all of them, which must have made it very stressful, plus she is on public display all the time in a high pressure role which probably limited amount of time she could spend with a family compared to previously. She took on a very different role from her previous school, Maybe it wasn’t as easy to take on for all the members of the family, maybe if you don’t have the same personality or enjoy being on display in that kind of role 24/7, then it gets to you. Many men might feel emasculated by it.
Possibly. And maybe, as a man, the husband did feel emasculated by it.

JMO, However, speaking as a man, feeling emasculated would not make me want to shoot my wife and little daughter dead. I fail to think of any reason, why I would shoot my wife and little daughter dead.

Equally, for all we know, it could be the other way round. We will not know until the facts are established.

In conclusion, I don't think feeling emasculated is what has caused this incident to occur.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff
Back