UK UK - FRED and ROSEMARY WEST

The police said the diary was old and had no connection to Mary Bastholm

In 2012, police rejected a petition by campaigners to search the cafe.

“Then Chief Constable Tony Melville wrote to Mr Roberts saying: “The evidence is in no way categorical.

He said the book found by the previous cafe tenant was an old diary that was not connected to Mary.”

Friend of Fred West 'victim', 15, says they want 'closure' as police dig up cafe

The police said the diary was old and had no connection to Mary Bastholm

In 2012, police rejected a petition by campaigners to search the cafe.

“Then Chief Constable Tony Melville wrote to Mr Roberts saying: “The evidence is in no way categorical.

He said the book found by the previous cafe tenant was an old diary that was not connected to Mary.”

Friend of Fred West 'victim', 15, says they want 'closure' as police dig up cafe

i must have missed that, as I thought it was categorically belonging to the poor girl. Either way it’s very strange that there isn’t a team designated entirely to double checking all work done by west, knowing how he hid the others.

there are a lot of huge gaps in his timeline, plus he did say there were 20 more.

Yeah l agree. I don't know if it's true that the police decided not to try to identify all the belongings found in the pond where Chrsitopher Haliwell dumped them. But if it is, it's a disgrace. These investigations are not just about putting the bad person away so they can't harm anyone. It's also to give the families closure.

I hope it’s Mary, so she can be laid to rest properly.

A lot of the news reports say it’s believed West laid the concrete floor sometime before Mary disappeared, I’ve also seen that the fireplace is being removed now. I wonder if we’ll ever find how he managed to conceal a body (bodies?) down there after he was working on it. Did he go back to do more work, on his own? Could he have had keys?

I think all and any building work he did around that time needs to be re-examined.

And from the Sun, details about where they are excavating:

“They are specifically analysing an area to the side of the basement which builder West converted into toilets.

The material and suspected bones are under a partition wall.

A source said: “Camera images clearly show material which matches the navy blue coat Mary was wearing when she was abducted.”

“In addition, there are images of what look very much like human bones.”

So this work could have been done after West laid the basement floor. Sounds like the film crew put one of those flexi cameras down through the base of the partition wall and made a grisly discovery.

RW frequented the cafe too. She would have been 14 years old and FW 26 (approx) when Mary Bastholm went missing.

Fred West cops find bones at cafe in hunt for teen feared murdered by killer

Last edited:
Oh my word - imagine if they find six bodies :eek:

Fred told someone he’d killed hundreds of girls; an exaggeration, perhaps, but his family have said they wouldn’t be surprised if it was nearer thirty than the dozen he was jailed for.

I had a little read up on the story, and the dates of girls going missing / killed (that are already connected to the Wests) are:

1967 - one victim
1968 - Mary Bastholm vanished
(met Rose 1969)
1971 - ex wife and her daughter
1973/4/5 - six victims
1978/9 - two victims
1987 - daughter Heather

Mary went missing in 1968 before Fred met Rose. Could it be that he had killed other girls in the 60’s and buried their remains at the cafe when he was concreting the floor?

Last edited:
It appears the sighting of bones may have been greatly exaggerated by the tabloid press... just blue cloth for now:

“He (detective) dismissed media reports circulating on Monday evening that bones had been found as untrue and "unhelpful and hurtful to Mary's family".

Fred West: Police to excavate cafe toilet in missing girl search

Well who started THAT rumour?! How strange.

EDIT I just went back to The Sun article. A source said: “Camera images clearly show material which matches the navy blue coat Mary was wearing when abducted. In addition, there are images of what look very much like human bones. Great care is being taken to sift through the surface.”

Last edited:
Oh my word - imagine if they find six bodies :eek:

Fred told someone he’d killed hundreds of girls; an exaggeration, perhaps, but his family have said they wouldn’t be surprised if it was nearer thirty than the dozen he was jailed for.

I had a little read up on the story, and the dates of girls going missing / killed (that are already connected to the Wests) are:

1967 - one victim
1968 - Mary Bastholm vanished
(met Rose 1969)
1971 - ex wife and her daughter
1973/4/5 - six victims
1978/9 - two victims
1987 - daughter Heather

Mary went missing in 1968 before Fred met Rose. Could it be that he had killed other girls in the 60’s and buried their remains at the cafe when he was concreting the floor?

Thats what I’m thinking. I’m taking the Mail article with a massive shovel of salt, the voids could just be holes maybe? But the fact a cadaver dog hit on one of them is interesting.

the cafe is built above an ancient burial ground.
Where does that info about the old burial ground come from? I can’t see it in the article. Thanks

ETA oh, just seen it!

I wonder if it’s just the old toilet doors they’re bringing out or whether these have been used to create an artificial floor leaving a void underneath before laying hardcore and pouring concrete. So that the ground wouldn’t shift and crack. They look like very solid doors.

A SECOND café could have been used by serial killer Fred West to murder and dispose of victims.

He jointly owned The Green Lantern café in Gloucester with his father-in-law, further down the street along with garages...

I’m starting to see why the police may have been dragging their heels about digging up places. :( There would be no end to it.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6984660/fred-west-second-cafe-murder-victims/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoptti
Back