UK - Graeme Perks, 65, stabbed, Halam, Notts, 14 Jan 2021

Representing himself! That's a first, for cases I've followed. Where is the sense in that? Does he think he can do a better job than a legal professional?
He probably does think he can do a better job.

This would be the belief of someone who is high on the narcissistic personality spectrum.

It is also apparent that he wants to use the platform of the crown court to advance his grievances regarding his employment issues.

Incidentally, I was once cross-examined by a defendant for about two hours. He was a failed law student who thought he was Rumpole of the Bailey. It was a blast :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"The 999 call from the wife of a doctor accused of the attempted murder of a colleague revealed she saw blood in various locations as she reported him missing to a emergency call operator. Joanne Brooks noticed blood on the floor, on hand towels and light switches, her husband's trial heard at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday. [...]

He had not been working as a doctor at the QMC for six years. He was registered as an employee but had been suspended for 18 months.

As Mrs Brooks was on the phone, the operator got a report of an incident in Southwell where a male had been found asleep and said he was "a doctor and was going to lose his job".

Wife saw blood at home of doctor accused of attempted murder

Mrs Brooks could be heard saying in the recorded phone call to emergency services that, "there is a high level of stress" as she explained her depressed husband had gone missing sometime overnight.

Obviously my concern is he has hurt himself and taken himself off somewhere," she said in the call.

As Mrs Brooks was on the phone, the court heard the operator got a report of an incident in Southwell where a male had been found asleep and had said he was "a doctor and was going to lose his job".
The caller was told to ring 111 or an ambulance and this was around 8am on 14 January, 2021.

The jury was told Dr Brooks was found asleep on a bench and was subsequently taken to hospital where he was arrested and photographs were taken of his cut right hand.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I guess if Jonathan Brooks is representing himself then he has to be deemed fit enough in order to ensure he has the opportunity to cross-examine the witnesses, test the evidence and hence be seen to have received a fair trial.

It all sounds like a trial within a trial!

Trial set to start next Monday 6th Feb.

Report dated 31 Aug 2022: Graeme Perks: Surgeon attempted murder trial jury discharged

The jury in a trial of a doctor accused of the attempted murder of a fellow plastic surgeon has been discharged.

From report dated 9 Sep 2022: New trial date set for surgeon who denies attempted murder

A new trial date has been set for Jonathan Peter Brooks, a consultant surgeon who is accused of trying to kill a colleague in Southwell. The case is set to get underway on February 6 next year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back