GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
And welcome to the thread, Rindercella! What verdict are you hoping for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be interesting if he is ever reinvestigated for poor Diane's death too. Would that mean the Crown could recover any funds he accrued through that too?

A criminal cannot profit from their crimes once convicted, I believe.

I would have thought it clear cut.

Any money earned as a result of, or in connection with, an offence can be recovered under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.

IS murdered Helen so any money which came to him as a result of her death will be confiscated.

I would suggest that includes any profit from the sale of the house which is only being sold because he killed her.

Oof, here was me thinking it would have been a quiet night here and you're yabbering away for pages on end! I'm glad to know that Neteditor dry cleans her undies though, what a classy bird!

Always good to hear a bit from court, thanks Michelle. Happy birthday to Jenspired too.

Lit Up, the bit about Helen's body being fairly well preserved except for her eyes hit me hard. Poor Helen. What an evil batsteward he is :( her beautiful eyes that he couldn't even remember the colour of.

Could that mean he will only get his original £470,000? back from the sale of the house?

Ha ha,.... he'd better have some proof then, that he actually did pay this money over to Helen - otherwise he could end up without many beans at all

Ha ha,.... he'd better have some proof then, that he actually did pay this money over to Helen - otherwise he could end up without many beans at all

So he could fall from being ‘big bean’ to ‘no beans’ having to exist on only £1 a day for sewing mail bags!!

Well at least he could invest that money into an enforced 30 year savings plan

Bed with my Dachshunds now.
Thank you Alyce for your constancy - always checking back. You need to be a Barrister! Although I do not envy Flinty - he has to do his work and every Barrister wishes to win a case. We all know this.
This is ridiculous - I know .. but for the past few nights I have gone to bed .. re-reading Helen's book and feeling such a connection with her words, because many of us could have been as happy as she was - and then it stolen from her. I have been only one time close to such potential theft (on a smaller scale) and ended the 'relationship' ( another story for another time) But it helped me to know how to hope beyond deception.

I am not going to talk about myself when we are deeply distressed about Helen and Boris. But I need to say .. it was through grief that the manipulator found me, co-ercised me and stole.AND during his final petty theft at my home, he left the doors open so my Tallulah, Dachshund was open to running away - and also my cat.
The police found his shoe size the garden. But he was gone and I was FINISHED with him.

And then I do talk about some of my life - just as I would have done with Helen on Planet Grief.

Being joint owners I thought that the property becomes the sole property of the remaining owner on the death of one.

Tenants in common both own a percentage of the property.
Joint owners !!!

And welcome to the thread, Rindercella! What verdict are you hoping for?

Thanks BatFace.

Im hoping for guilty, on every count. I do not see how there could be any other verdict, given the evidence presented. I'm not a legal expert by any stretch, and do it is reassuring to read these threads, knowing that the concensous is that he is as guilty as sin.

What IS has done to a wonderful, kind, gifted, generous, intelligent woman is beyond reprehensible.

I'm holding off the champers but Dolly's started on her cocktail sausages, fully confident of a Guilty verdict!

(I've put them back in the fridge now, she can finish them when we get the actual result).

Oof, here was me thinking it would have been a quiet night here and you're yabbering away for pages on end! I'm glad to know that Neteditor dry cleans her undies though, what a classy bird!

Always good to hear a bit from court, thanks Michelle. Happy birthday to Jenspired too.

Lit Up, the bit about Helen's body being fairly well preserved except for her eyes hit me hard. Poor Helen. What an evil batsteward he is :( her beautiful eyes that he couldn't even remember the colour of.

I hope he has been made to look at the photographs and has nightmares.

Where did I read it (or did I dream it) that in such cases the murderer is treated in law as having pre-deceased the victim? In which case, under joint ownership, the whole house would pass to Helen's estate. I wouldn't like to be Tony Hurley, I see another court case brewing.

I hope he is served cottage pie for the remainder of his days. But not a tasty one of course.

I hope he is served cottage pie for the remainder of his days. But not a tasty one of course.

I subscribe to Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Mikado Song', where IS is concerned, the punishment should fit the crime.

Frequent contact with slops should be involved obviously, but I'd like to get more creative with it. I'd make him sit in a giant bucket of 'Pedigree Chum', then stake him face down in the middle of the prison yard and set a pack of hungry Dachshunds on him.

(Dolly-Dog just asked if she could join in - and her plans for a supersize Bonio would make your eyes water!)

Where did I read it (or did I dream it) that in such cases the murderer is treated in law as having pre-deceased the victim? In which case, under joint ownership, the whole house would pass to Helen's estate. I wouldn't like to be Tony Hurley, I see another court case brewing.

Yes..I thought I read that somewhere earlier, was it in a link someone posted...if so,that is excellent news

Yes..I thought I read that somewhere earlier, was it in a link someone posted...if so,that is excellent news

From Wiki...

The slayer rule, in the common law of inheritance, is a doctrine that prohibits inheritance by a person who murders someone from whom he or she stands to inherit (e.g., a murderer does not inherit from parents he or she killed). In calculating inheritance of the decedent's estate, the effect of the slayer rule was that the slayer would be treated as though he or she had predeceased the person who had been murdered, therefore his or her share of the estate would pass to his or her issue.

While convicting someone of the crime of murder requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt, the slayer rule applies to civil law, not criminal law, so it is only necessary to prove the wrongful killing by a preponderance of the evidence, as in a wrongful death claim. This means that even a slayer who is acquitted of the murder in criminal court can still be divested of the inheritance by the civil court administering the estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01