GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the starting point for murder for financial gain is 30 years then hes getting 30 years plus as I really don't see how Flint is going to argue that it wasn't for financial gain. He can't use the "he'd have been better off waiting till they married if he was after her money" excuse as 1. That was false and 2.If he'd waited till they were married Helen would still have to die for IS got everything, so to enure he did get everything it would still involve him having to commit murder to get the money, so it'd still be murder for financial gain.

Also having money already doesn't mean somebody wouldn't murder to get much more money.

As has been noted, he was a cringe-inducingly pants actor when it came to "I am not guilty in any way".

By contrast, he was effective at "I am an affable, cuddlesome, straight-up and down-to-earth kind of guy, in many ways". His employment of a beard helped in that.

In the post-beard pictures he looks a proper wrong'un. Indeed the cruelty suggested in the mouth is chilling.

so he qualifies for 5 out of 7 on the aggravating factors and there are no mitigating factors

I would hope for 30 as a starting point, with extra added for the aggravation

My calculation absolutely Alyce. x

Judge Andrew Bright, who has overseen the six-week trial, made it clear that if Stewart declines to leave his prison cell, he will be sentenced in his absence.

I didn't know he could refuse to go to court ?

Am thinking of the - fairly - recent case of Kayleigh Haywood, where her killer declined to be present in court for many of the days of the trial - but did have to go for sentencing day.

I notice he's refusing to leave the court cell this afternoon
The 56-year-old refused to attend and instead remained in the cell area below the court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-39008337

Judge Andrew Bright, who has overseen the six-week trial, made it clear that if Stewart declines to leave his prison cell, he will be sentenced in his absence.

I didn't know he could refuse to go to court ?

Am thinking of the - fairly - recent case of Kayleigh Haywood, where her killer declined to be present in court for many of the days of the trial - but did have to go for sentencing day.

He should be dragged there by the scruff of his scrawny neck, drumming his heels and whining like a spoiled brat.

I hadn;t seen this before. From Helen's bereavement counsellor

Bereavement counsellor Shelley Whitehead, who worked with Helen Bailey for two years after her first husband died, said there was a particular point during the author's disappearance when Ian Stewart made her feel "uncomfortable".

Ms Whitehead said during that time Stewart told her he was driving to Broadstairs, where Ms Bailey had a cottage, in order to see if anything was missing.

She said: "On the way back I spoke to him, and he said he couldn't really determine if anything was missing – then [he] asked me a question. He said 'Shelley, did Helen ever discuss our life with you?'

"I was her coach so Helen discussed every aspect of her life with me, so I said 'yes' and mentioned some parts of life she'd discussed with me - family life, life with the boys and Ian and the details.

"And from that 'very concerned, I don't know what to do, really, really down' voice, his whole tone changed.
"He said 'well, did you tell that to the police?' and I said 'no Ian, I didn't feel it was relevant'... but something inside me, the intuitive part, that blink moment, just felt really uncomfortable."

I don't understand- does that mean he wasn't present for the. verdict?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't understand- does that mean he wasn't present for the. verdict?

He was there for the verdict this morning.

This hearing , this afternoon , is the mitigation plea by his Counsel.

He was present for the verdict, but not for the plea in mitigation this afternoon.

Snap, Alyce.

Bereavement counsellor Shelley Whitehead, who worked with Helen Bailey for two years after her first husband died, said there was a particular point during the author's disappearance when Ian Stewart made her feel "uncomfortable".

Ms Whitehead said during that time Stewart told her he was driving to Broadstairs, where Ms Bailey had a cottage, in order to see if anything was missing.

She said: "On the way back I spoke to him, and he said he couldn't really determine if anything was missing – then [he] asked me a question. He said 'Shelley, did Helen ever discuss our life with you?'

"I was her coach so Helen discussed every aspect of her life with me, so I said 'yes' and mentioned some parts of life she'd discussed with me - family life, life with the boys and Ian and the details.

"And from that 'very concerned, I don't know what to do, really, really down' voice, his whole tone changed.
"He said 'well, did you tell that to the police?' and I said 'no Ian, I didn't feel it was relevant'... but something inside me, the intuitive part, that blink moment, just felt really uncomfortable."

I saw Shelley interviewed. She must rue the day she encouraged Helen to go out with him.

Glad I checked here before posting the exact same comment! It does ring a little bell with me to be honest - but we've waded through so many pieces of information I might be totally wrong.

More from Helens bereavment counsellor

The counsellor said initially Helen was "attracted to the way he wrote to her, his style of writing [and] his ability to connect".
"Helen didn’t suffer fools gladly ever," she said.
"She was highly intelligent, very witty, and he responded to that.
"He ticked the boxes that were necessary for Helen, he loved dogs and he was a good dad. He was funny, he was considerate, and she was very happy."

> > Hm, throwing his beans out of the pram.
> Or out of the can?!

Ooh, you are awful, y'all. :)

Ah I see. So presumably, on that basis, he can also refuse to turn up tomorrow

To be fair, short of lashing him to a sack trolley I don't fancy anyone's chances of forcing him! I think the judge was just sending a clear message that he can't avoid being sentenced by not turning up. I think Judge Bright has the measure of Ian Stewart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti