UK, Scotland & Ireland - Coronavirus COVID-19

The food delivery service Deliveroo says it will make half a million meals available to NHS staff for free during the coronavirus crisis.

The London-based company has already received pledges of 350,000 free meals from partner restaurants to provide to frontline workers.

Pizza Hut is offering 300,000 meals, while Itsu and Lewis Hamilton’s plant-based Neat Burger restaurant have also made donations.

Meanwhile, a campaign to provide hospital staff with hot meals backed by actors Matt Lucas, Damian Lewis and Helen McCrory has received over £400,000 ($497,000).

A similar campaign called Meals for the NHS has raised more than £250,000.

Coronavirus: All parts of UK 'on emergency footing' - minister - BBC News

BBC latest (1 hour ago)

It could be six months before life in the UK returns to "normal", England's deputy chief medical officer has said. Speaking at the government's daily coronavirus briefing, Dr Jenny Harries added: "This is not to say we would be in complete lockdown for six months."

But, she continued, the UK had to be "responsible" in its actions and reduce social distancing measures "gradually".

Six months before UK life 'returns to normal'

Boris Johnson revealed 20,000 ex-NHS staff have returned to the service to help fight coronavirus - as he used a video message from quarantine to contradict Margaret Thatcher.

Mr Johnson, who is holed up in Number 11 after being diagnosed with COVID-19, made reference in his Sunday evening video to the former Tory prime minister's infamous "no such thing as society" quote.

"One thing I think the coronavirus crisis has already proved is that there really is such a thing as society," said Mr Johnson.

Coronavirus: Quarantined Boris Johnson reveals 20,000 ex-NHS staff have returned as he contradicts Thatcher

Boris Johnson revealed 20,000 ex-NHS staff have returned to the service to help fight coronavirus - as he used a video message from quarantine to contradict Margaret Thatcher.

Mr Johnson, who is holed up in Number 11 after being diagnosed with COVID-19, made reference in his Sunday evening video to the former Tory prime minister's infamous "no such thing as society" quote.

"One thing I think the coronavirus crisis has already proved is that there really is such a thing as society," said Mr Johnson.

Coronavirus: Quarantined Boris Johnson reveals 20,000 ex-NHS staff have returned as he contradicts Thatcher

They had 405,000 offers from retired medical staff to help out. Amazing, selfless people.

Not sure how this is affecting you folks but I'm currently working from home since the beginning of last week. We've been told by senior management this is indefinitely and they've said in not so many words will be until June.

Missus works for NHS frontline, we don't live together so can't even see her...

Awful, and frightening times. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Not sure how this is affecting you folks but I'm currently working from home since the beginning of last week. We've been told by senior management this is indefinitely and they've said in not so many words will be until June.

Missus works for NHS frontline, we don't live together so can't even see her...

Awful, and frightening times. Hope everyone is staying safe.

That's rubbish for you Chimpface. The stories about the effects on frontliners and their loved ones are heartbreaking.

I already worked from home but husband is now too and I need to homeschool the kids (one of whom has a crazy amount of work!). I'm used to my own space and wish I could mute them all.... but... grateful we can be safe together and know that one day things will be back to normal. Some people are not so lucky so I'm counting my blessings. Scary times though, I can't wait until it's over.

That's rubbish for you Chimpface. The stories about the effects on frontliners and their loved ones are heartbreaking.

I already worked from home but husband is now too and I need to homeschool the kids (one of whom has a crazy amount of work!). I'm used to my own space and wish I could mute them all.... but... grateful we can be safe together and know that one day things will be back to normal. Some people are not so lucky so I'm counting my blessings. Scary times though, I can't wait until it's over.

Sorry to hear that Cags. It has put a fair few things in perspective for me, I'm sure it has for a lot of people. Just the simple act of being able to jump in the car and nip up the shops now has me considering whether it is really necessary for instance (and of course it isn't - not compared to the reason I usually would - going to put the lottery on for instance).

I'm not sure what it's like where you or anyone else lives but the fairly simple minded folk where I am seem to be finding it a struggle to comprehend how dangerous of a situation we are in. Still people going about as if nothing it happening. It's infuriating with someone working close to me doing what she does as well as trying to do everything you can yourself to follow what we're being told to do.

Some people just really don't care.

I have a relative in Greater London who has been diagnosed with it. Not through testing, but they called the NHS 111 helpline and were put through to a doctor who diagnosed on symptoms.

That's my first 'know in real life' person who I know with it. I hope there aren't any more, but I guess that's too much for any of us to hope for, and I hope my relative doesn't get too sick and recovers soon, and I hope his wife, who's the only person he lives with, won't catch it from him.

I am very scared for them both :(

I am not posting this to ask for sympathy or well-wishes, just to say where this person is geographically and that it just got a heck of a lot closer to me, and I know that many of us are going to be in this situation soon, if we're not already.

I read that the government are going to start sending out food parcels to people who've registered on the government website for the extra vulnerable people who are now in the 12-week shielding quarantine. I know of people in that situation who are really struggling and worried due to the lack of supermarket delivery slots, so I hope those parcels go out asap and can cover all the people who need them.

I read that the government are going to start sending out food parcels to people who've registered on the government website for the extra vulnerable people who are now in the 12-week shielding quarantine. I know of people in that situation who are really struggling and worried due to the lack of supermarket delivery slots, so I hope those parcels go out asap and can cover all the people who need them.

The first food parcels have begun arriving at the doors of the most vulnerable people self-isolating at home for 12 weeks during the coronavirus outbreak.

An initial 2,000 packages were delivered over the weekend to those who cannot leave their homes as a result of severe health conditions putting them most at risk.

Food parcels delivered to most vulnerable unable to leave home during coronavirus lockdown

8DA750BD-3DE8-45E0-A2CC-592E375FD55C.jpeg

@gregjrichards would you mind posting some of your much appreciated updates on here, as well as on the other thread? Pretty please?

Thank you for starting this important thread @CoverMeCagney I will do my best to post future important updates regarding the U.K here.

I hope you are all coping as best you can. We will all get through this terrible crisis. Never give up hope.

Hello all, I'm not going to bang on about this as I do that already elsewhere here. But just to say it's day 11 for me here with coronavirus. It hasnt been too bad for me luckily. Just left now with a few aches and tiredness which I wish I could shift. A few of my colleagues have it too (5 last count).

Chimpface so sorry to hear about your circumstances with your missus that is so unfair. I'm currently furloughed myself.

I'm in Buckinghamshire and close commuter belt to London.

I tend to filter a lot of the news out as it gets me down but love all the good news and neighbourly stories!!

My husband has been self-isolating since early days because he takes medication that severely compromises his immune system. He also happens to work for a large cancer trust hospital (he's non-medical) and has been working from home two days a week for the past year or so, so it wasn't difficult for him to switch to full time. Because it is a cancer hospital, other than the most urgent of treatments, they are in protective mode. Making sure their patients stay virus free.

We moved from the US to the UK five years ago. My daughter was 11 and it was a huge change in schooling methods. She's done a remarkable job and has worked so very hard for her GCSEs and now, nothing. No leavers parties, no prom, and no GCSEs. I'm so disappointed for her. Will she be attending college in the autumn as planned?

Thankfully, she does not require homeschooling. I would totally be the day drinker homeschool mum were that the case. There is a reason I did not pursue education as a career path.

It's all well and good encouraging home delivery for groceries, but in my area (Crewe), there are not any slots available. Period. I don't drive here but I am lucky, there is a well stocked retail park across the road that includes an Aldi. I am regretting my disdain for the Grannie's Shopping Trolley and am debating using a suitcase to collect as much food as I can. I am also low on gin.

Mostly, though, I am worried and scared.

@HongKongPhooey , I hope you make a complete recovery.

Hello all, I'm not going to bang on about this as I do that already elsewhere here. But just to say it's day 11 for me here with coronavirus. It hasnt been too bad for me luckily. Just left now with a few aches and tiredness which I wish I could shift. A few of my colleagues have it too (5 last count).

Chimpface so sorry to hear about your circumstances with your missus that is so unfair. I'm currently furloughed myself.

I'm in Buckinghamshire and close commuter belt to London.

I tend to filter a lot of the news out as it gets me down but love all the good news and neighbourly stories!!

Sorry to hear that you've been suffering. Sounds like you're over the worst of it at least.

Regarding the filtering out of news I'm trying to do the same as we're being bombarded 24 hours a day by bad news about the virus at the moment.

I'm going for an hour long walk a day by myself and switching electronic devices off and just taking in the passing world and nature, I've found it helps.

Hi Mrs W - go for it with the suitcase - with the way people are dressing to go shopping these days, disposable gloves, masks, even full hazmat suits for some ! I don't think a suitcase would merit a second glance :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back