UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

Spectator:

Jack the Ripper unmasked again
Bruce Robinson argues passionately (and a little madly) for his new
candidate for the Ripper: a popular musician called Michael Maybrick
Will just steal a moment a year after the fact and once again recommend Robinson's book -- an incomparable read. You may not like his candidate (I didn't) but it makes no matter. This is detective work bolstered by a rare enthusiasm -- even vitriol (especially that). At the end you'll believe with a certainty that i) Maybrick killed his brother and framed his sister-in-law for the crime, and ii) maybe, just maybe, that he was indeed one Jack the Lad.

Don't miss this book.

The " none of them are connected " theory was fashionable for awhile .
People have tried to say that about the Zodiac case and several other high profile unsolved cases recently as well.
Its good to think outside the box but I think the five canonical cases were committed by the same psycho.
The East End was indeed a waste spill in the late 19th century but five different guys taking to eviscerating women in that relatively small area within a five six month period is stretching it a bit in my opinion.

AS a Ripperologist, I can honestly say that most if not all experts agree that there little or no surgical or medical knowledge demonstrated by the killing. It was more the knowledge that a butcher would have.

I honestly believe that JtR is over and done with. Most of the experts are satisfied that the Whitechapel Murders as they should be called have been solved and the killer arrested and put in a mental institution where he died. There are 5 canonical victims, all prostitutes, all lived and worked within a mile of each other and probably knew each other. They all probably drank at the same pubs, slept at the same doss houses and maybe even in jail at the same time during their lives. The killer had intimate knowledge of the workings of the area as well as the police beats as to evade capture. Therefore, the killer probably was an Eastern European immigrant perhaps Jewish as well but maybe not. He worked with his hands as a butcher with the speed he performed some of the mutilations. The motive, hatred of women. Maybe his mother worked as a part-time or full-time prostitute as was common at the time or could have been his wife or girlfriend. Or he probably caught some STD. Either way, we'll never be able to prove any suspect beyond a reasonable doubt

You came in with a bang! Welcome to WS!

I honestly believe that JtR is over and done with. Most of the experts are satisfied that the Whitechapel Murders as they should be called have been solved and the killer arrested and put in a mental institution where he died. There are 5 canonical victims, all prostitutes, all lived and worked within a mile of each other and probably knew each other. They all probably drank at the same pubs, slept at the same doss houses and maybe even in jail at the same time during their lives. The killer had intimate knowledge of the workings of the area as well as the police beats as to evade capture. Therefore, the killer probably was an Eastern European immigrant perhaps Jewish as well but maybe not. He worked with his hands as a butcher with the speed he performed some of the mutilations. The motive, hatred of women. Maybe his mother worked as a part-time or full-time prostitute as was common at the time or could have been his wife or girlfriend. Or he probably caught some STD. Either way, we'll never be able to prove any suspect beyond a reasonable doubt

That's sort of what Martin Fido has been pushing for 30 years now but I wouldn't say most experts believe that.

Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols' throat had been cut so deeply she was nearly decapitated. This must have taken some strength. leaning towards a male
just my opinion

I watched a documentary last night about this. They said too that it's probably a royalty. The press back then was a little dumb, actually sending letters to police in the name of Jack the ripper. This actually slimmed the chance to get him.
[video=youtube;QeaexhV7JDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaexhV7JDU[/video] The video quality is quite poor, tho...

I don't think it was a royal but that theory gets a lot of press. There are good records showing the main royal mentioned wasn't anywhere near London when most of the murders happened. I suppose some will say the records were fansified to protect him but that's very far fetched in my opinion.

Above blessings for Bruce Robinson's wonderfully readable 'They All Love Jack' can now be bestowed upon you, gentle reader, in hardback for under $10, s/h incl. Amazon, where else.

Doesn't matter if you agree with his candidate or not; this is a roller coaster of a great read.

I do believe it's to protect the rich and powerful and damn the rest of us. As a U.K. Resident I've seen many unfair protection of the more affluent in the communities. If you don't dress in a certain way and have money, then you seem to be treated differently. I am sure after looking at this case many times since being at school, that it is something to do with someone with Royal blood running through their veins. No matter how far removed from the Crown. Why else would they still be protecting the names of the families investigated?

Every victim deserves to be heard, so let the public see these records and be their voice.

What are the laws in that country governing older investigations like this please? TIA for anyone who knows! :)

I don't know if this has been answered later in the thread. I don't know about law in this matter but in practice murder cases are never "closed"; however once they are 70 years old the police no longer actively investigate them as a prosecution would be almost impossible (the perpetrator is going to be in his late 80s at best, witnesses are likely to be dead, evidence may have been lost or contaminated etc). Even so, if credible new evidence comes forward after that date they will look into it.

the Ripper I do not believe to be a Royal.

Me neither. I believe we have Stephen Knight to blame for all of that. He was not absolutely the first to seriously suggest that Prince Eddie was the Ripper (the hypothesis had been given a canter through a couple of years earlier on BBC TV by Barlow and Watt's six-part series on Jack) but Knight's book was how the idea really acquired wings.

In "Doctor Who", Madame Vastra eating Jack the Ripper means that the world's most notorious serial killer was never brought to justice, his crimes remain essentially unsolved, and lots of really really talentless people have been able to make a living ever since posing as "Ripperologists". Those are not good outcomes.

I just read Cornwell's revised book about Walter Sickert. The stationery tests and caparisons are very compelling, as well as his paintings during that time (Camden Murder Series, Jack the Rippers' Bedroom, etc). He is, in my opinion, the most viable suspect. There isn't any one glaring piece of evidence, but many pieces of a whole. I think Cornwell demonstrated an arrogant pride with her first book. No one will ever KNOW at this juncture. It's been too long and so much evidence has been lost in the 129 years that have passed. My opinion is that Jack the Ripper was Walter Sickert. But for some reason, he is being protected from implication. And ... just like Elvis, Marilyn and JFK, there will always be people who perpetuate conspiracy because they don't WANT the cases to be SOLVED. It's a hobby for them ... and sometimes, a rather lucrative one.

May 11 is the 130 anniversary of the beginning of the Rainham Mystery and few think that this was the first Ripper murder. More than likely the woman, who was never identified, was a victim of another unidentified serial killer called the Thames Torso Killer. On the eleventh of May, a woman's torso was fished out of the Thames. From then on into June, more body parts were found.

The quarterly Ripperana Magazine is now 25 years old and just released its 100th issue.

The series American Ripper poses the question Was H.H. Holmes and Jack the Ripper the one and the same. Before I even watch this I have to ask couldn't comparisons have been made in the handwriting's of Holmes letters and the letters called the known Ripper letters? Handwriting analysis and Forensic evaluation of mannerisms in writing could confirm or deny. I do not think Holmes would write a letter to a police Dept addressing someone as "Boss" and use other British slang found in that period of time. His writings seemed to be more elequant in nature. Any thoughts on this?

The series American Ripper poses the question Was H.H. Holmes and Jack the Ripper the one and the same. Before I even watch this I have to ask couldn't comparisons have been made in the handwriting's of Holmes letters and the letters called the known Ripper letters? Handwriting analysis and Forensic evaluation of mannerisms in writing could confirm or deny. I do not think Holmes would write a letter to a police Dept addressing someone as "Boss" and use other British slang found in that period of time. His writings seemed to be more elequant in nature. Any thoughts on this?
Few believe Jack wrote any of the so-called Ripper letters.

Holmes wasn't the Ripper. Just a marketing ploy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back