Found Deceased UK - Jesus Moreno, 41, Spanish co-founder of Piglove Brewing Co in Leeds, W Yorks, last seen getting bus to Harrogate at 6.17am, 1 Aug 2022

Anyone know if this could be Jesus?
Body found in River Nidd ⬇️

Shortly before 8am this morning (Saturday 15 October) we received reports of a body in the River Nidd near Harrogate.

We are in attendance at the incident close to the Nidd Viaduct in Bilton.

The body is that of a white man, believed to be in his 40’s. He is yet to be identified.

Please avoid the area at this time.

Enquiries are ongoing and further updates will be provided when available.

Ref: NYP-15102022-0081

The wording of the press release indicates that police believe they know the identity of the man but formal confirmation is required.

That they say he is white and in his 40's is not conclusive but indicative of someone who is reported missing and who matches that description.

It is only about a mile, as the crow flies, from where JM was last seen. There are also many interconnecting footpaths, some of which are alongside water, which JM appears to have been drawn to.

It is possible to use public footpaths along the River Wharfe, from where JM was last seen, to Weatherby, then Crimple Beck to join the River Nidd....with limited sections not alongside the river.

As always, irrespective of identity, family and friends somewhere will have the worst news possible.

Last edited:
The wording of the press release indicates that police believe they know the identity of the man but formal confirmation is required.

That they say he is white and in his 40's is not conclusive but indicative of someone who is reported missing and who matches that description.

It is only about a mile, as the crow flies, from where JM was last seen. There are also many interconnecting footpaths, some of which are alongside water, which JM appears to have been drawn to.
It sounds like he might be JM :-(

He would have been in the water over 2 months, and we only have the other point as last sighting, so he could have well gone furthe.

You assume he entered the water soon after he went missing.

He could have been living/sleeping out in the countryside.....escaping the rat race but eventually coming to harm.

If you are correct it would be doubtful the police could identify colour and age so readily, without other information (clothing, wallet, jewellery etc).

It has been given a crime reference number. That's unusual isn't it? Don't think I have ever come across that before on a body found that appears suicide.

If you mean the below reference it is an incident reference generated by the Command and Control System.

It has a sequential daily incident numbering system which resets at midnight. This is the 81st incident of 15th October 2022 generated by North Yorkshire Police (NYP).

Ref: NYP-15102022-0081

Police would not publicise a crime number at such an early stage. In any event they would wait for confirmation of foul play, following a post mortem, before recording it as a crime themselves.

The police would publicise the incident number as it can be readily accessed and updated by operators in the control room when they receive any calls with information.

Last edited:
From NYP FB page this evening:

Update on the body found in the River Nidd ⬇️

Further to the recovery of a man's body from the River Nidd in Bilton, Harrogate yesterday morning, the man has now been identified and his next of kin have been informed.

Investigations are ongoing to establish the full circumstances of his death.

If you have any information which could help the investigation, please call 101 and quote ref: 12220183592

See also https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/people/police-update-body-found-in-river-nidd-close-to-harrogate-has-been-identified-as-investigation-launched-3881864

Last edited:
From NYP FB page this evening:

Update on the body found in the River Nidd ⬇️

Further to the recovery of a man's body from the River Nidd in Bilton, Harrogate yesterday morning, the man has now been identified and his next of kin have been informed.

Investigations are ongoing to establish the full circumstances of his death.

If you have any information which could help the investigation, please call 101 and quote ref: 12220183592

See also https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/people/police-update-body-found-in-river-nidd-close-to-harrogate-has-been-identified-as-investigation-launched-3881864

It 'appears' not to be JM from what can be gathered online.

What do you think he was carrying in his rucksack?

Most men carry their wallets in their trouser pockets and we know Jesus didn't have a phone on him...
Most people even remotely involved in startups or tech etc today would have a backpack with a laptop and requisite chargers etc.

Most people even remotely involved in startups or tech etc today would have a backpack with a laptop and requisite chargers etc.
On a country walk?

Another thought: Do you think he could've been heading to someone's house?

Did he drive and/or have a car? If so, then it possibly rules out the walking to someone house early in the morning.....

On a country walk?

Another thought: Do you think he could've been heading to someone's house?

Did he drive and/or have a car? If so, then it possibly rules out the walking to someone house early in the morning.....
Personally, I wouldn’t go ANYWHERE without my laptop

RSBM. He tried to use the work van but couldn't get access.

CCTV captured Jesus walking around Leeds at 5.17am. "He could not get into the work van and he wandered around Leeds city centre," said Marcos.

[...]

According to Marcos, Jesus was spotted at Leeds bus station at around 6.10am before boarding a bus to Harrogate at 6.17am.

Really? Oh.

Even on a day off?

You can't make do with your phone?
I work in tech, and while I would not as I do less critical work, almost all of my actual tech colleagues would say they would always take their laptop with them. Not for the walk maybe, but if they were say going somewhere remote to visit someone or hike, they would bring it in case they needed to work, and then if they had a car, not feel secure leaving so keep it with them. Depending on the security of the company, they may not be able to access much of anything a phone. The only thing I can access through my phone is e-mail.

Also almost every male I know working in our tech company carries a backpack, even if they aren't taking their computer with them, just because it's habit.

Hi all, first post for me here but I have followed Jesus's story extensively and I know the area very well. I wild-swim in the Wharfe at Netherby regularly and had seen Jesus swimming there with his friends a few weeks before he went missing.

I might be able to clarify a few things about the local area and also I swam in the river the exact day Jesus went missing, August 1st.

The Wharfe is very unpredictable and it's generally only accessible around this point from the north bank - on the footpath along to Netherby there are lots of good access points as the ground slopes down to the river gently and there are sandy deposits creating little beaches - Netherby deep has sand brought from Bridlington in the 1930s. On the south bank of the river from Harewood Bridge to around Carthick Wood the bank is very steep and crumbling, you cannot access or exit the river safely or easily until a pebbly beach opposite Bank Hill where there used to be a ford across the river.

The swimming at Netherby deep is generally safe although the water there is very deep, 9 metres in places and two children drowned there in the 60s. There is a large noticeboard put up by the children's grandparents warning of the danger which killed the popularity of it as tourist spot, although during lockdown it became pretty popular with locals again after being generally somewhere you only saw other dedicated wild swimmers. When I saw Jesus and his friends there none of them looked like very strong swimmers, they were mostly hanging out on the little beach and having short swims although obviously this is conjecture!

From what I can tell they drove to the spot. You can park up near the Maustin holiday park and it's a five minute walk to the swim spot. I don't think many people are aware you can walk there from Harewood bridge, I don't have a car and bus/walk most places and I rarely see any other people walking to the swim spot, only anglers and dogwalkers who don't go on the path to Netherby.

Where Jesus first got off the 36 bus bus is near the turning off Harrogate road onto Swindon Lane, which is where you drive to Netherby deep if you go by car. However there are a few turnings to reach it and I suspect he might have got lost without a phone and not knowing the area well. There are usually other swimmers there on nice days and his info has been shared on the group so I'm not sure he made it to the spot. He seems to have backtracked to the bridge after wandering around for a while too.

From what I can tell about the police info about CCTV Jesus was last picked up on the camera from the harewood bridge sawmill/shed place going onto a footpath on the south side of the river, the wrong side to access it safely. I'm not sure he made it onto the footpath along the north side at all as it's not well signposted - can anyone confirm he was definitely picked up on the Bridge Court CCTV? That place is a very posh flat complex and there are several cameras around the little car park outside, I'm sure they would have more images of him walking past if so.

My thinking is that he tried to go to the usual swim spot, got lost, went back to the bridge where you can see the river and saw the well signposted footpath on the wrong side of the bridge. He walked down a way and tried to access the river from a steep bank, slipped and fell in the deep side of the river and was unable to exit.

As I mentioned earlier, I went swimming in the wharfe in between Harewood Bridge and Netherby deep the same day Jesus went missing at around 4pm with several friends. The river was much, much stronger that day than we expected, I got in at a shallow point and am a strong swimmer who regularly swims in the Wharfe but we all got out after 15 minutes of trying to find place we could safely swim without being dragged off by the currents if we took out feet off the bottom. I got swept along some 20 ft at one point which shook me up a bit! We had no idea that anyone had gone missing there that day and didn't see anyone else at that particular swim spot.

I have spent quite a lot of time walking up and down the river since he went missing. We saw divers at Harewood Bridge and Netherby deep and I've heard the police have done a surface search between Wetherby and Harewood bridge. There is a section of the river just north of East Keswick that is difficult to access, there are no public footpaths along there and the bank on the south side is more like a cliff. There are a few marshy areas with little islands and trees growing and it would be difficult to search there, I suspect his body might be caught up in the marshy bits and without any really heavy rain over the last few months I don't know if it could be washed down further.

I have been thinking about how the area could be more thoroughly searched - I would hope the police would do it but I think they have pretty much given up, there's been no activity from them for months now. You would need a boat to search that particular area of the river - if we have some heavy rain he would possibly get washed down to wetherby weir but until that happens I think he's likely to be around this area -
jesusarea.png

The Wharfe has a tendency to hold bodies in deeper sections, sometimes it can be weeks/months and many miles further along that bodies turn up. I feel desperately sad for his family but knowing the river well it seems like he went in and didn't manage to get out. I don't see how he could be anywhere else as the countryside around there is well walked and I don't think he seemed like a survivalist type who could hide anywhere for months! None of his belongings turned up on the banks either so seems like he might have slipped into the river with all of his gear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back