GUILTY UK - Joe McCann, multiple victims kidnapped & assaulted, April / May 2019

Review into the case of Joseph McCann

Here is the full report on the Gov.uk site. It reads to me like he was already out and just had not been recalled. It discusses a probation meeting on the 15th Feb but does not state he was released from anywhere. In fact it reads like he was living in Buckinghamshire with relatives to me.

March 7 2020
Girl raped by serial sex attacker 'feels failed'
''A teenage girl who was raped by serial sex attacker Joseph McCann has said she feels "failed in every single way".

The 17-year-old and her younger brother were both attacked after McCann tied up their mother in their home in May.

The girl told the BBC she now lives in a "constant fear of everything" and is "confused" as to why the 35-year-old was not recalled to prison.''

The teenage victim said she had "lost everything", including her Lancashire family home which McCann tricked his way into on 5 May to carry out the sex attacks.

She said: "Before any of this happened I had a lovely home, a close family and a really good job.

"After this happened I lost everything, including my family home of 12 years and my relationship with my family.

"I struggle to sleep each night and live in fear. I can't be in places on my own and my confidence has gone down since the incident."

''The girl said she had "developed really bad anxiety and I have bad days when I do not want to do anything".

"There's not a day goes by where I don't think of what happened and that man feels no remorse for his actions," she said.

"My whole life will be controlled from what happened, living in constant fear of everything. I constantly feel like my life is in danger, I question situations during the day and feel nervous around people."

16 May 2020
Repeated warnings over serial rapist's risk
''EXCLUSIVE More than 700 of the serious offenders have dropped off the radar for more than five years, but have evaded the police and are walking the streets''

''Our investigation comes after probation chiefs were blasted for failing to recall serial rapist Joseph McCann before he attacked a string of victims aged between 11 and 71.
A review published by the Ministry of Justice found nine occasions where McCann, 35, could have been jailed for breaking his licence conditions.

But bungles left the beast free to carry out eight rapes on women and children during a two-week reign of terror in April and May last year.''
Dame Vera Baird QC, Victims’ Commissioner for England and Wales, said: “The crucial thing for me is that, where appropriate, the victims of these offenders are kept informed.''

"Victims of serious sexual and violent offences who have opted to be in the Government’s Victim Contact Scheme have a right to be kept informed of key decisions in relation to the offender’s release and licence conditions.

“This means being told when an offender has been recalled, when they are located and returned to prison and when they will be re-released or have a case referred to the Parole Board.

“Despite the fact that a period of time may have elapsed between the original offence and the breach of licence, in the case of victims of serious sexual or violent offences, knowing the offender’s whereabouts is unknown by the authorities can have a big effect upon the victim’s sense of wellbeing.”

A serial rapist was able to carry out a sex attack spree when he was freed from prison after "major failings" by a team of "unstable" and inexperienced probation staff, inspectors have found.

Joseph McCann was given 33 life sentences in December for attacks on 11 women and children.

So far only one person has since been demoted, the report said.

One of McCann's victims called the probation service's actions "shambolic and chaotic".

Serial rapist freed by 'unstable' probation team

Two serial rapists with life sentences will have the minimum time they must spend in prison extended from 30 to 40 years, the High Court has ruled.

Joseph McCann, 35, was jailed last year at the Old Bailey for 37 offences involving 11 women and children.

[...]

The judges rejected calls for whole-life jail terms, never successfully imposed in a non-homicide case.

Serial rapists receive longer minimum jail terms after appeal

Full judgement of appeal:
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/McCann-Sinaga-Shah-judgment-111220.pdf
(It's messy to skim through as it deals with another case too.)

How much longer? Absolutely vile creature.
minimum term of 30 years has been extended to minmum term of 40 years. I don't expect he will ever be released.
I wonder if the refusal to attend court was because he can't accept what he did? Maybe he's choosing to live in blissful ignorance instead of facing the consequences of his actions

minimum term of 30 years has been extended to minmum term of 40 years. I don't expect he will ever be released.
I wonder if the refusal to attend court was because he can't accept what he did? Maybe he's choosing to live in blissful ignorance instead of facing the consequences of his actions

His rape spree was so reckless, dangerous, bizarre and perverse that I tend to think his refusal to attend court had more to do with his general sense of grievance and a giant middle-finger to authority, wherever and whatever that is.

Just don't see McCann as someone who is ashamed or remorseful. Maybe years from now, maybe never. His crimes were acts of terror, designed to cause immediate and lasting harm, and I suspect they have, although the strength of his victims as they testified may have shocked him. He is a genuinely terrifying predator, and I don't think he would have stopped unless stopped.

Here is the full report on the Gov.uk site. It reads to me like he was already out and just had not been recalled. It discusses a probation meeting on the 15th Feb but does not state he was released from anywhere. In fact it reads like he was living in Buckinghamshire with relatives to me.
Thank you for sharing. This is interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-005025-714.png
    Screenshot_20211019-005025-714.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for sharing. This is interesting.

Quote taken from the full report:

'When he started his attacks, McCann was being supervised on licence by the National Probation Service (NPS), having been released from prison automatically on 15 February.'
I read from this JM WAS released on 15th February 2019, then put on licence?

If he had relatives in Bucks would he have been placed in a prison nearby? Is that how it works?

Last edited:

Quote taken from the full report:

'When he started his attacks, McCann was being supervised on licence by the National Probation Service (NPS), having been released from prison automatically on 15 February.'
I read from this JM WAS released on 15th February 2019, then put on licence?

If he had relatives in Bucks would he have been placed in a prison nearby? Is that how it works?
This is what concerns me as it would have been the same morning Leah Croucher went missing. If he was serving time at Woodhill then that would be an interesting observation.
HM Prison Woodhill - Wikipedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back