GUILTY UK - Jordan Monaghan murdered daughter (Ruby), son (Logan) & gf (Evie Adams), Blackburn, 2013 & 2019

Yes I agree with the prosecution. I would have liked to have heard why the judge deviated from this. A man who murdered two of his own babies and tried to murder a third, they obviously meant nothing to him. Then he moved on to his girlfriend, as if he could walk through his life just snuffing out lives like blowing out candles. He has to be categorised as a highly dangerous offender, certainly he isn't fit to share a cell. The word psychopath was invented for people like him. IMO

I don't know about anyone else but I feel there is something lacking in these remarks. Just like when he was let out on bail and ordered to stay away from Evie, he wasn't considered to be dangerous enough to hold him under lock and key, until he murdered again, and even then he wasn't charged for over a year after Evie's death. It seems like there is some tiptoeing around some massive failings in this case and even now, it's been swept under the rug by words like selfish and cruel. What about exceedingly dangerous, violent, and unfit for society? I don't think a judge should be having to "imagine" why he murdered three people and attempted to murder a fourth all before his 30th birthday. I think psychiatric reports should have been ordered. JMO

I am so very sad for Laura Gray having to find out what he did to her beautiful babies now, eight years later. She deserved protection from him, and so did Evie.
I really hope we get the sentencing remarks. It's impossible to tell from the reports exactly what the reasoning was for not imposing a whole life sentence. But I think it could be that he only considered Evie's to be proven to have significant premeditation.

15:31TOM EARNSHAW
Length of overall prison sentence now being decided
The judge will now determine the minimum terms Monaghan must spend in prison for the murders.

He says the victims were particularly vulnerable.

There was significant planning and premeditation in the murder of his girlfriend Evie, including faking text messages and a suicide note.

Jordan Monaghan sentencing in full after murdering his kids and girlfriend

I've had a look at the sentencing remarks for Arthur Simpson-Kent who got a WHO for killing his partner and 2 boys at the same time and that seemed to depend on significant premeditation.

22 [...]
the appropriate starting point is a whole life order.

(2)Cases that would normally fall within sub-paragraph (1)(a) include –
(a) the murder of two or more persons, where each murder involves any of the following –
(i) a substantial degree of premeditation or planning ...”
[...]

43. First, I accept Mr Heywood’s submission that this case falls within para. 4(2)(a)(i) of Sch. 21 to the 2003 Act. In my judgment this was indeed a case where each murder involved a substantial degree of premeditation or planning. At the very least that must be true of the murder of each of the two little boys individually and in turn after the Defendant had already killed Sian Blake.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/final-sentencing-remarks-r-v-simpson-kent.pdf

Personally I'd disagree about premeditation, especially with Logan.

A good sentence at last .
This investigation has taken years and many hours of work.
Still beggars belief that some jurors were uncertain about all of the charges but he’s in the right place now and I don’t think he’ll ever be coming out. He thought he’d got away with it.

The minimum 40-year term handed to Monaghan after he murdered two of his children and his new partner will also be reviewed by the judges considering how whole-life orders are imposed. The Attorney General is expected to challenge Monaghan's sentence.

The hearing is expected to take place at the Royal Courts of Justice in central London from May 4.

Tustin and Hughes among five infamous killers facing sentence review

Very sad news about the mother’s new baby … I can’t fathom the amount of tragedy and loss for this poor woman.

Mother whose partner murdered her two children is hit by third tragedy

Mother whose partner murdered her two children is hit by third tragedy
Absolutely heartbreaking. I just don’t knoe how Laura Gray manages to get out of bed and face life every day.
How much tragedy can one person bear?
She has had 4 children and has lost them all.
2 children murdered by Monaghan , 1 removed by the authorities to protect them from Monaghan .
Meets someone else and has a new baby, this should have been a new beginning for her, a ray of sunshine after all the years of pain she’s suffered. Now she’s lost this baby too due to a medical condition

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back