UK UK- Joy Hewer, 50, Teacher/church volunteer, sexually assaulted & fatally stabbed in chest, apartment set on fire, Walthamstow, 17 Oct.1995 *REWARD*

dotr

Reaction score
  • BY ELLIE MCKINNELL, CALLUM CUDDEFORD
April 2022 rbbm
1677174117940.png
1677174851720.png
''Devout Christian Joy was found dead in her own home on October 17, 1995, after firefighters were called to a fire in her flat on the sixth floor of St David's Court, off Parkstone Road, in Walthamstow around 11:45pm. To their surprise they found a 52-year-old woman who had been stabbed and sexually assaulted.''

''After she retired in 1990, Joy dedicated much time to charity work. On the day she was murdered, she had volunteered at the London Healing Mission in Notting Hill until 3.30pm. She was next seen stopping by a chemist at 5.50pm before heading home to the Wood Street area.

After arriving home, Joy made several telephone calls to family and friends. She was very close to her family, especially her nieces and nephews, as she had never had children of her own, or married. A couple who lived directly underneath Joy described hearing 'loud banging and scraping noises' coming from Joy’s flat between 10.30pm and 11.00pm, but just as they decided to go upstairs and investigate further the noises stopped.''

''Less than an hour later, at 11.18pm a member of the public rang the emergency services from a public phone box on a nearby road to report smoke coming from the home. This caller has never been identified, despite police releasing the 999 call in an effort to find him as they believe he could hold vital clues to the murder.

A man who was caught on CCTV entering the front of St David's Court at around 10.30pm is also sought by police, and is considered a possible suspect. The Met don't think that Joy would have let a stranger into her home, a theory that's backed up by the discovery of two used coffee cups in the house, as well as no signs of forced entry.''

''Ms Barnes, said: "We've waited so long for answers but we'll never give up hope. Someone has evaded us for two decades but this latest appeal with the £20,000 reward could finally help us secure justice for Joy."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Met on 020 7230 7963; alternatively, to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.''

View attachment 405020
Thank you, from link..rbbm
''Appeal: Police would like to speak to speak to this man
He is white, aged between 30 to 40 years, although will now be aged between 50 and 60 years, with short hair. He was wearing a light-coloured jacket.

Although the images appear grainy, officers believe that those close to the man would still be able to recognise him.''
1677177232212.png

Listen to 999 call made on night school teacher was stabbed to death before house was torched​

On October 17, 1995, firefighters were called to a sixth floor flat in St David's Court, Walthamstow, after a man reported seeing flames coming from the window.

Detectives are still tracking a man who appears in an enhanced CCTV image who enters Joy's flat in St David's Court at around 10.30pm on the night she died.

Last edited:
20230223_191739.png
This is probably way off but it's what I see. It's a bit like looking at clouds of squigly plaster and trying to make into familiar shapes. To me it looks like he has a wide neck, maybe weak chin or his chin is hidden in neck fat, certainly chunky.

Last edited:

Crimewatch February 1996

35:04 mins in.

Strangely there is no mention of the man seen entering her flat on CCTV who looks white and chunky / chubby. Only a tall, over 6ft, black man seen running from the main entrance of the flats into the traffic on Forest Road.

Some of the recording of the man calling emergency services has been cut out. Weird he had trouble with the street names yet not the name of the block of flats.

View attachment 405043
I think there was another Crimewatch appeal in 2015 but I have been unable to find it on YouTube
Noting this thread with some handy (but distracting!) Crimewatch links.

Last edited:
Was Joy murdered by serial killer Philip Smith?

Smith: The untold story - THE POLICE BUNGLES THAT KEPT KILLER ON THE LOOSE; MORE SHOCKING PHILIP SMITH REVELATIONS AND THE VICTIMS HE MAY HAVE MURDERED DURING HIS REIGN OF TERROR.​

Sunday Mercury
(Birmingham, England)
July 22, 2001

Photo taken from here

It seems to be the only photo and it's a shame there isn't one taken from the same or similar angle, to the security camera footage still further up in the post.

He has a similar physique anyway.

Screenshot_20230315-213051_Google.jpg

I was going to say there's no way in hell that's the guy on that security video but I looked at it again and it could be. Are there no more frames? Smith, in addition to being way fat also has some of the dumbest looking earlobes ever that it seems would be pretty recognizable from another angle.

Doesn't seem to fit his MO (stomping ground/ Midlands) IMO, but ya never know.

I was going to say there's no way in hell that's the guy on that security video but I looked at it again and it could be. Are there no more frames? Smith, in addition to being way fat also has some of the dumbest looking earlobes ever that it seems would be pretty recognizable from another angle.
It's the only frame the police released, pretty poor quality.
The guy in the security footage is also chubby with a fat neck, which is why I said similar physique.
The police didn't give a height for the guy caught on film, I would've thought they could estimate it from measuring things he stood alongside. Smith is tall.

I posted what I found out of trying to remain objective, I don't know enough about this guy to get any strong feeling. Usually you can rule out someone fairly quickly, there's a long list of people they have there in the link, it's fairly normal with serial killers to measure up unsolved murders to the killer.

He was committing a lot of petty crimes very early on and he did travel around a good bit. The fairground he worked travelled the country, but I think that was before Joy was murdered.

The police obviously want to get an idea when he started ramping up to killing. Maybe he committed sexual offences.

Joy's murder as far as I know is with no motive.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to fit his MO (stomping ground/ Midlands) IMO, but ya never know.
The murders that he was convicted of all happened in quick succession so I don't think location was an issue, other than he was living in the area he killed in at that particular time.

The police were looking at earlier offences or murders he may have committed leading up to suddenly starting to kill women out of the blue.

Smith had moved around, had travelled the country, obviously didn't feel tied to one area. A few times it was people's changing attitude towards him that prompted him to move away.

Last edited:
The December 2015 reconstruction is now on YouTube, it starts at 26:38…

My belief is that the killer was known to her, possibly from the London Healing Mission or one of the other charity’s she was involved with. The motive appears to have been sexual. Perhaps it was someone she was helping/felt sorry for who had mistaken her kindness for something more?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15
Back