Found Deceased UK - Kyle Sambrook, 33, missing hiker with dog, not returned from camping trip, car found Glencoe, Scotland 18th Feb 2023.

He arrived at around 15.30hrs after a long drive and I hope he didn't start hiking straight away. It would have been dark within an hour.

Also his mind and body may have been tired after driving up from Yorkshire. It's several hours.

Not a good combination of factors. I wish he'd have got some rest that night and started hiking fresh early the next morning.

MOO.

So possibly seen with Bane in the "Lost Valley" (ugh what an appropriate name) area of Glencoe.

Here's a link to a walking page with details about the route to take, I did note the "A visit involves a very rough but intensely dramatic and scenic walk."

ETA: Drone footage of the area here, it's beautiful but I imagine deadly too.

Last edited:
So possibly seen with Bane in the "Lost Valley" (ugh what an appropriate name) area of Glencoe.

Here's a link to a walking page with details about the route to take, I did note the "A visit involves a very rough but intensely dramatic and scenic walk."

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for this video. BUT, 'you' couldn't pay me enough money to go hiking there!

Further police appeal​

Officers are continuing to ask for the help of the public to trace a 33-year-old hill walker and his dog who is missing in the Glencoe area.

Extensive searches are ongoing to trace him involving multiple Mountain Rescue Teams, including those from Glencoe, Lochaber, Oban, Arran and Police Scotland, assisted by the RAF, Coastguard and the Search and Rescue Dog Association (SARDA).

There has been a sighting of Kyle and his dog, a Beagle called Bane, in the Lost Valley area of Glencoe around noon on Sunday, February 19, and officers are keen to speak to anyone who may have seen him since then.

Sergeant Shaun Knox said: “Kyle was suitably clothed for walking and we believe he had a tent and other equipment with him.
He may have changed his original plan to climb Buchaille Etive Mor and it is important that we find him to make sure he is safe and well.

We are asking anyone who was out and about on Sunday in the area, and in the days since, if they recall seeing Kyle and his dog, both are quite distinctive.

“We would like to thank everyone who has responded to our appeal as every piece of information, no matter how small, could be vital in helping us to find him. Please get in touch with any information that you might have.”

Kyle is described as white, 5ft 8ins, of medium build, with ash blond hair short hair, ginger/blond stubble, blue eyes and a West Yorkshire accent.

Last edited:
Scottish Highlands on my so-called bucket list. Do not want to hear about bad results. Has it rained since 2/19? Imagine it is wet and chilly in the a.m. anyway.

nice photos here and mention of the Lost Valley for Wild camping but these bloggers
are talking about how "lucky" the were to be there when it was warm and dry

always with the dogs: was the beagle a young one? dogs often smarter than us IMO

from the Hillwalking page:

Hillwalking in Winter​

Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. All route descriptions and difficulties given here are for summer conditions. See our Winter Skills page for basic information on the essential skills, techniques and knowledge needed for winter hillwalking.

summer conditions say 2-3 hrs.... does anyone know if he was here before in the summer? I always think that people do not bring enough food in the winter and food is all that is keeping one alive in the cold IMO.

"

He arrived at around 15.30hrs after a long drive and I hope he didn't start hiking straight away. It would have been dark within an hour.

Also his mind and body may have been tired after driving up from Yorkshire. It's several hours.

Not a good combination of factors. I wish he'd have got some rest that night and started hiking fresh early the next morning.

MOO.
I always aim to be off the mountain by 15:30 in winter. Kyle might have gone off to camp and begun climbing the next morning.

If the sighting of him in the Lost Valley at 12:00 on Sunday is legit then we know he was alright at that point.

Sergeant Shaun Knox said: “Kyle was suitably clothed for walking and we believe he had a tent and other equipment with him. He may have changed his original plan to climb Buchaille Etive Mor and it is important that we find him to make sure he is safe and well.

With Kyle parking at the Three Sisters car park and the sighting of him in the Lost Valley then I would say he decided not to climb Buchaille Etive Mor.

Climber Neil Gillingham and his dog went missing in the same area last year just weeks after a 47-year-old man died on Bidean Nam Bian. Neil Gillingham was found dead on Stob Coire Sgreamhach:

The 43-year-old planned to walk a route from the Hidden Valley car park to Bidean Nam Bian and Stob Coire Nam Beith before descending to the Lost Valley.

Body found in Glencoe identified as missing hillwalker days after dog found

I can only find this from today morning.

Glencoe mountain rescue team scoured the area on Friday and the search will resume again today as they desperately try to trace Kyle.

Volunteers from GMR have now covered a vast amount of ground in the search area and will start to methodically make their way round more technical areas requiring mountaineering skills.

A post on their social media page on Friday said: "Another long day searching for Kyle Sambrook today. GMR volunteers have made the most of the good weather to put in a long day, descending in the dark after over 12 hours on the hill.

"Unfortunately still no sign of Kyle or his dog. Having covered a vast amount of ground in the search area, we are now starting to methodically make our way round the more technical areas requiring mountaineering skills.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back