Found Deceased UK - Leah Croucher, 19, Emerson Valley, Milton Keynes, 14 Feb 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steleheart

Reaction score
Police 'working tirelessly' as search for missing Leah Croucher is stepped up

"Leah was last seen by family on Quantock Crescent, Emerson Valley, in Milton Keynes at around 10pm on Thursday (14/2) and was reported missing the next day.

Since the investigation began, a confirmed sighting of Leah was reported on Buzzacott Lane in Furzton, just after 8.15am on Friday (15/2), walking in the direction of Loxbeare Drive and Chaffron Way.

We would urge anyone who was in that area at the same time and may have seen her to get in touch.

Leah is white, of a slim build with below shoulder length brown hair and sometimes wears glasses.

She was last seen dressed in a black coat, skinny black jeans and black Converse high top shoes and was carrying a small black rucksack.

Leah is known to travel on foot through the Furzton area and into Knowlhill."

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing a bit more digging and reading and there are a few good points I've seen that I'm not sure have been covered here. They don't really link together - I'm just throwing them out there.

1. If it was Leah or someone she knew who turned off her phone the night before she vanished then that would seem to almost completely rule out an opportunist abduction by a stranger.

2. If Leah turned off her phone the night before she disappeared because she didn't want anyone to know where she was then why didn't she turn off her phone when she went to the Travelodge some days earlier?

3. We know Leah's phone was turned off when the woman was seen at the lake crying and talking on the phone. There has been speculation that she had a second phone. If that was the case why would she have needed to turn off her other phone the night before?

4. To our knowledge, the only people stating that Leah was involved in an affair with Mr. X are Leah's family. There is no evidence Leah ever stated this. There was no record on Leah's phone of any evidence of an affair. To our knowledge there was nothing found left behind by Leah such as emails, notes etc. which were proof of an affair. I believe this is correct?

5. A BBC article states that Leah's friends told police that Leah had "anxiety issues" at the time she went missing. I would love to know more about this. The police must already know much more from her friends and very possibly know what the cause of this anxiety was.
Leah Croucher: 'No lead' in 'bewildering' 2019 disappearance - BBC News

6. I think this one is important. If the police did not know to a point that they were completely satisfied that Mr. X was not involved and nor were his family, why would they publicly state that Mr. X is not a suspect? Normally the police will make statements to make any potential perpetrator uncomfortable even if they don't actually have any evidence - "We are pursuing numerous lines of enquiry" etc. in the hope of making the perpetrator confess or do something rash. I find it unlikely they would publicly make statements which seem to absolve a particular person without very good reason. It could possibly stop a member of the public from reporting something thinking oh no it can't be important as Mr. X has been ruled out. I believe that reason may be that the police know about a situation which in all likelihood has caused Leah either to harm herself or run away although they have no proof. And I think it's possible that situation has nothing to do with X.

I've been doing a bit more digging and reading and there are a few good points I've seen that I'm not sure have been covered here. They don't really link together - I'm just throwing them out there.

1. If it was Leah or someone she knew who turned off her phone the night before she vanished then that would seem to almost completely rule out an opportunist abduction by a stranger.

2. If Leah turned off her phone the night before she disappeared because she didn't want anyone to know where she was then why didn't she turn off her phone when she went to the Travelodge some days earlier?

3. We know Leah's phone was turned off when the woman was seen at the lake crying and talking on the phone. There has been speculation that she had a second phone. If that was the case why would she have needed to turn off her other phone the night before?

4. To our knowledge, the only people stating that Leah was involved in an affair with Mr. X are Leah's family. There is no evidence Leah ever stated this. There was no record on Leah's phone of any evidence of an affair. To our knowledge there was nothing found left behind by Leah such as emails, notes etc. which were proof of an affair. I believe this is correct?

5. A BBC article states that Leah's friends told police that Leah had "anxiety issues" at the time she went missing. I would love to know more about this. The police must already know much more from her friends and very possibly know what the cause of this anxiety was.
Leah Croucher: 'No lead' in 'bewildering' 2019 disappearance - BBC News

6. I think this one is important. If the police did not know to a point that they were completely satisfied that Mr. X was not involved and nor were his family, why would they publicly state that Mr. X is not a suspect? Normally the police will make statements to make any potential perpetrator uncomfortable even if they don't actually have any evidence - "We are pursuing numerous lines of enquiry" etc. in the hope of making the perpetrator confess or do something rash. I find it unlikely they would publicly make statements which seem to absolve a particular person without very good reason. It could possibly stop a member of the public from reporting something thinking oh no it can't be important as Mr. X has been ruled out. I believe that reason may be that the police know about a situation which in all likelihood has caused Leah either to harm herself or run away although they have no proof. And I think it's possible that situation has nothing to do with X.

The idea she ran away or harmed herself just doesn’t add up imho

If she ran away how is she managing for money, food, clothes, accomodation etc? she is/was not a streetwise girl she would not survive living ‘off grid’ bank account/debit card/passport/phone not used once since she disappeared

If she harmed herself (suicide) she would have been found by now - if she did it in a field or woods a dog walker or rambler would have found her body by now likewise there would have been more CCTV footage from that day travelling to another part of the city to harm herself, there is a lake near where she went missing and that was thoroughly searched too

It just doesn’t add up her running away or taking her life and not being discovered yet

If she ran away how is she managing for money, food, clothes, accomodation etc? she is/was not a streetwise girl she would not survive living ‘off grid’ bank account/debit card/passport/phone not used once since she disappeared

<sbm>

This has been somewhat covered just upthread.

If she harmed herself (suicide) she would have been found by now - if she did it in a field or woods a dog walker or rambler would have found her body by now likewise there would have been more CCTV footage from that day travelling to another part of the city to harm herself, there is a lake near where she went missing and that was thoroughly searched too

It just doesn’t add up her running away or taking her life and not being discovered yet

I understand what you are saying. But then why would the police say Mr. X is not a suspect?

And I do know for a fact that many, many people live in this country under the radar; it's not uncommon at all where I live (Bradford).You could be living with friends, family, a boyfriend and working cash in hand doing a variety of jobs - childminding/shop work etc. Or they are working and just keep you - it's not that expensive to have an extra person sharing your flat; you could buy food for that person for twenty pounds a week and that's it.

As I was reading up on all of the evidence about Leah I couldn't help also noticing a few similarities with the Richard Okorogheye case; Leah's family saying they had noticed a change in behaviour, her withdrawal from the family meal, the anxiety issues her friends have stated she was experiencing, dishevelled appearance. There is also a genetic risk factor for suicide and we know that her brother took his own life. Genetic Link to Suicidal Tendencies Nailed Down (medicinenet.com) So I don't exclude this possibility.

I don't have a defined opinion on what has happened to Leah but I am not fixed on the idea that Mr. X has killed her. With regard to honour killings in the UK, these are extremely rare in the UK in comparison to suicides or people voluntarily going missing. The data I looked at stated that there were 29 reported cases in the last 5 years (while accepting the true number could be much higher). Interesting points made though were that all but one of the 29 were non-white (i.e. it is usually the person within the family who is killed) and that many of the killings took place once the person had been taken abroad. So statistically it doesn't seem that likely to me. 'Honour' Killings in the UK - Henry Jackson Society

I'm just getting my thoughts down. But I'm staying open-minded.

I understand what you are saying. But then why would the police say Mr. X is not a suspect?

And I do know for a fact that many, many people live in this country under the radar; it's not uncommon at all where I live (Bradford).You could be living with friends, family, a boyfriend and working cash in hand doing a variety of jobs - childminding/shop work etc. Or they are working and just keep you - it's not that expensive to have an extra person sharing your flat; you could buy food for that person for twenty pounds a week and that's it.

As I was reading up on all of the evidence about Leah I couldn't help also noticing a few similarities with the Richard Okorogheye case; Leah's family saying they had noticed a change in behaviour, her withdrawal from the family meal, the anxiety issues her friends have stated she was experiencing, dishevelled appearance. There is also a genetic risk factor for suicide and we know that her brother took his own life. Genetic Link to Suicidal Tendencies Nailed Down (medicinenet.com) So I don't exclude this possibility.

I don't have a defined opinion on what has happened to Leah but I am not fixed on the idea that Mr. X has killed her. With regard to honour killings in the UK, these are extremely rare in the UK in comparison to suicides or people voluntarily going missing. The data I looked at stated that there were 29 reported cases in the last 5 years (while accepting the true number could be much higher). Interesting points made though were that all but one of the 29 were non-white (i.e. it is usually the person within the family who is killed) and that many of the killings took place once the person had been taken abroad. So statistically it doesn't seem that likely to me. 'Honour' Killings in the UK - Henry Jackson Society

I'm just getting my thoughts down. But I'm staying open-minded.

I don’t think they ever said he was not a suspect, although I could be wrong there, I recall them saying he had an alibi but given he was off work that day it could well be his wife or other family members saying he was with them at the time <modsnip>

It does not mean he is not guilty just that police can’t prove anything against him, and I don’t believe tbf that AC personally killed her, I would suspect it was a male relative/male relatives from his family or the family of his wife. I believe that the fate of Leah is well known in AC’s family

I don’t believe she has run away, she does not seem the sort to put her family through 3 years of hell especially the sister she was close to and the brother who took his own life over the strain of Leah disappearing, unless she is living in a hippy commune with no links to the outside world she will know her brother is dead and I don’t think she is capable of putting her family through what they been through

The night before she went missing wasn’t she choosing hotels for the family holiday they were going on? she seemed to have stuff to be excited about

I am 100% sure she is no longer alive sadly, and that people within AC’s or/and AC’s wife family know what happened

I don’t think they ever said he was not a suspect, although I could be wrong there, I recall them saying he had an alibi but given he was off work that day it could well be his wife or other family members saying he was with them at the time, <modsnip>

It does not mean he is not guilty just that police can’t prove anything against him, and I don’t believe tbf that AC personally killed her, I would suspect it was a male relative/male relatives from his family or the family of his wife. I believe that the fate of Leah is well known in AC’s family

I don’t believe she has run away, she does not seem the sort to put her family through 3 years of hell especially the sister she was close to and the brother who took his own life over the strain of Leah disappearing, unless she is living in a hippy commune with no links to the outside world she will know her brother is dead and I don’t think she is capable of putting her family through what they been through

The night before she went missing wasn’t she choosing hotels for the family holiday they were going on? she seemed to have stuff to be excited about

I am 100% sure she is no longer alive sadly, and that people within AC’s or/and AC’s wife family know what happened

I believe the police have stated there has never been any named suspect in this case. The Milton Keynes Citizen newspaper says police, "have thoroughly investigated all leads and evidence regarding Mr X but not found anything that could connect with Leah's disappearance. They have previously said they spoke to Mr X early in the investigation and have no reason to be suspicious." The Judge also reiterated this to Hayden when Hayden was taken to court and said that Hayden's concerns about Mr. X had no foundation.
I don't really believe that if someone was suspected of murder their mother or uncle could just say oh they didn't do it they were with me and that the police would accept that. I'm sure they would need more than that to corroborate an alibi. And I'm sure they would consider the possibility of other members of the family being involved.
<modsnip>
Re Leah not coming back when her brother passed away; maybe she left in the first place because she was very unhappy for some reason and was getting away from something she never wanted to go back to.

I believe the police have stated there has never been any named suspect in this case. The Milton Keynes Citizen newspaper says police, "have thoroughly investigated all leads and evidence regarding Mr X but not found anything that could connect with Leah's disappearance. They have previously said they spoke to Mr X early in the investigation and have no reason to be suspicious." The Judge also reiterated this to Hayden when Hayden was taken to court and said that Hayden's concerns about Mr. X had no foundation.
I don't really believe that if someone was suspected of murder their mother or uncle could just say oh they didn't do it they were with me and that the police would accept that. I'm sure they would need more than that to corroborate an alibi. And I'm sure they would consider the possibility of other members of the family being involved.
<modsnip>
Re Leah not coming back when her brother passed away; maybe she left in the first place because she was very unhappy for some reason and was getting away from something she never wanted to go back to.

*BBM.

It's interesting that you use this paragraph from the MK Citizen dated 3 December 2020. These are the paragraphs that follow the one you used:

Leah's dad John told us in an interview earlier this year: "Mr X is the only anomaly that was in Leah's life. The only thing she lied about. We feel information he may have is our only chance of finding her.

"We kept quiet because the police strongly advised us it was the right thing to do. They asked us to trust them. We have to finally and publicly admit we think they are wrong."

John says he and Clare have provided police with "evidence" early on to prove Leah and Mr X were more than just good friends.

He said: "We worry that the police did not look more closely at him, his family, his friends. They didn't search cars or homes or workplaces. They searched the area he lives in, but that was all. He will not give permission to look at messages between the both of you. He destroyed those messages.

"Police searched our house five times ...They searched Leah's brother's home. They searched our relatives' homes. They searched our cars, our workplaces, our internet history. It feels as if we were under suspicion."

John revealed he asked police to check for DNA on the clothes Mr X wore on Valentine's Day 2019, the day before Leah disappeared. This was the evening she fibbed to her parents and slipped out of the house, seemingly for a mystery assignation.

"The police will not check the clothes he wore Valentine's Day," said John. "They 'encourage' us to protect his anonymity."

Why did X destroy the messages on his phone? He said Leah and himself were friends, why not help the police by showing the messages? What did he have to hide?

Why not check X's clothes for possible DNA? What harm would it do if he was innocent?

Why search Leah's home and her relatives but not X's?

Why ask to protect his anonymity? The TVP said he's not a suspect so what does he need protecting from?

Did the TVP check with any of X's friends or work colleagues to see if he was seeing Leah at some point? How deep did their investigation go into looking at any possible relationship between the two? Did they just take his word for it?

*BBM.

It's interesting that you use this paragraph from the MK Citizen dated 3 December 2020. These are the paragraphs that follow the one you used:

Leah's dad John told us in an interview earlier this year: "Mr X is the only anomaly that was in Leah's life. The only thing she lied about. We feel information he may have is our only chance of finding her.

"We kept quiet because the police strongly advised us it was the right thing to do. They asked us to trust them. We have to finally and publicly admit we think they are wrong."

John says he and Clare have provided police with "evidence" early on to prove Leah and Mr X were more than just good friends.

He said: "We worry that the police did not look more closely at him, his family, his friends. They didn't search cars or homes or workplaces. They searched the area he lives in, but that was all. He will not give permission to look at messages between the both of you. He destroyed those messages.

"Police searched our house five times ...They searched Leah's brother's home. They searched our relatives' homes. They searched our cars, our workplaces, our internet history. It feels as if we were under suspicion."

John revealed he asked police to check for DNA on the clothes Mr X wore on Valentine's Day 2019, the day before Leah disappeared. This was the evening she fibbed to her parents and slipped out of the house, seemingly for a mystery assignation.

"The police will not check the clothes he wore Valentine's Day," said John. "They 'encourage' us to protect his anonymity."

Why did X destroy the messages on his phone? He said Leah and himself were friends, why not help the police by showing the messages? What did he have to hide?

Why not check X's clothes for possible DNA? What harm would it do if he was innocent?

Why ask to protect his anonymity? The TVP said he's not a suspect so what does he need protecting from?

Did the TVP check with any of X's friends or work colleagues to see if he was seeing Leah at some point? How deep did their investigation go into looking at any possible relationship between the two? Did they just take his word for it?
All really great questions. I don't know. Why do you think the police haven't done these things? It seems from what they say it's because they are satisfied he is not involved.

All really great questions. I don't know. Why do you think the police haven't done these things? It seems from what they say it's because they are satisfied he is not involved.

Yes, I agree with that, they do seem satisfied that he's not involved. The question is why?

Why have the police never stated the reasons that X refused to show them the messages on his phone, as well as denying them permission to search his car, home or internet history? What reason did they give for not checking his DNA? If he is innocent, these things would have proven beyond doubt that he was telling the truth.

The TVP have stated that there is no proof anything criminal has taken place as regards Leah's disappearance but how deep have they dug to find out the truth?

*BBM.

Why would Leah have to lie. She was an adult. Were her parents very controlling? If she did feel the need to lie about Mr X, perhaps there is a Mr Y or even a Mr Z that was also a secret. If the police have asked the family to let the Mr X theory go, it makes me think that he is possibly working for them in an undercover capacity.
Edited spelling mistake

Why would Leah have to lie. She was an adult. Were her parents very controlling? If she did feel the need to lie about Mr X, perhaps there is a Mr Y or even a Mr Z that was also a secret. If the police have asked the family to let the Mr X theory go, it makes me think that he is possibly working for them in an undercover capacity.
Edited spelling mistake

While am casting no aspersions on JC or his wife it is not always easy being upfront about a relationship with someone from a totally different background, further and especially complicated by the fact that Mr X was a married man

Especially with youngest daughters parents want their offspring to have a fairytale wedding to a prince/doctor/lawyer etc, I can imagine they would be uncomfortable with her being with a ‘gangsta’ who drives a modded car and calls himself MK’s Finest and has a wife

Natural she would be secretive

I don’t think she was seeing anyone else

Yes, I agree with that, they do seem satisfied that he's not involved. The question is why?

Why have the police never stated the reasons that X refused to show them the messages on his phone, as well as denying them permission to search his car, home or internet history? What reason did they give for not checking his DNA? If he is innocent, these things would have proven beyond doubt that he was telling the truth.

The TVP have stated that there is no proof anything criminal has taken place as regards Leah's disappearance but how deep have they dug to find out the truth?

Good questions. You know how doctors protect their own, I wonder, just wonder, could someone in Mr X's family be a serving Police Officer? That to me would explain why thorough and fair and just checks have not taken place. JMO MOO

Edited spelling mistake

But even if Mr X was working for them in an undercover capacity, if a serious potential crime has been committed, no-one is untouchable in that situation, surely? JMO MOO

Good questions. You know how doctors protect their own, I wonder, just wonder, could someone in Mr X's family be a serving Police Officer? That to me would explain why thorough and fair and just checks have not taken place. JMO MOO

I think more likely MrX or someone very close to him is a freemason, masonic lodges are packed with police officers particularly high grade ones and they have a code that they look after their own

I know several freemasons in different lodges and each one said a lot of police officers were members

Edited spelling mistake

IMO Leah lied to her parents about X simply because she didn't want to get any more grief from them over her affair with X. Lets not forget that her parents were aware that she had been seeing him, her mom even stating that the affair started the previous summer (2018).

Her parents disapproved of the relationship and no doubt tried to persuade Leah to stop seeing him. So instead of telling them the truth, Leah simply lied about where she'd been or who she'd been with to stop any hassle from her parents.

I'm sure most of us have lied to our parents about one thing or another during our teenage years, and Leah was no different. Lying about X was the easy way out, I think it was a simple as that.

How do they know what the police have or have not done? How would we know?

As for phone messages - if Mr X was married or engaged, and he received compromising messages from another woman, it makes sense that he would delete any such messages.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular but just a general observation. When people say we only have Leah's family word that there was a relationship with X...why would her family say it if it weren't true? They have no reason to lie.

Also, when her mum mentioned the affair she also stated Leah would get a taxi each way in the evenings to visit him costing £13 each way. Surely taxi companies keep a record of where they pick someone up and where they drop them off?

"She'd go and see him in the evenings, paying £13 each way for a taxi."

If she only turned off her phones location the night before when she disappeared for 75mins then the two weeks prior when she lied about the hotel then her phone location was still active at that point? Could police have looked at hers and X phone locations to see if they were in the vicinity of each other at the same time? In the same hotel?

I agree with @WiseOwl that Leah knew her family did not approve of her relationship with X and so would lie about it rather than fess up she was still seeing him. Her mum was quoted as saying ~

"It just wasn't like Leah to do things like that - she'd always been such a home-loving person and didn't like going out much.
"Then we found out he was engaged and it sounded like it was an arranged marriage.
"I remember saying to Leah, 'Don't you go falling for him, he will never be yours.' I was under the impression that she'd stopped seeing him then."
Missing Leah Croucher, 20, was having affair with engaged man before disappearance

This is not aimed at anyone in particular but just a general observation. When people say we only have Leah's family word that there was a relationship with X...why would her family say it if it weren't true? They have no reason to lie.

rsbmff

This is a more complicated question than it looks, and there are lots of possible answers to it, one of which of course may be that you are quite right, they have no reason and everything they say is true and correct.

At the other end of the spectrum, another possibility is that they were involved in her disappearance or whatever harm has perhaps befallen her, either in the sense of causing it themselves, or in the sense of her having left voluntarily in response to an event or situation at home. As far as we know, Leah’s family were the last people to spend time with her, they reported her disappearance, and statistically when bad things happen to women, whoever they lived with is likely to be involved, so imo it’s appropriate to consider that as a possibility, and by extension to consider the possibility that the things they have said about X are untrue, exaggerated or designed to deflect attention. Afaik, the police investigated them (certainly their home was searched) and found no evidence of harm to Leah, but then, the police also investigated X and found no evidence of harm to Leah – and yet a lot of people still don’t accept that that was a thorough or conclusive process, or feel that a lack of evidence can’t be taken as proof of innocence. If you think that’s a valid position, then I think you have to keep an open mind about Leah’s family too.

However, between these two black and white extremes, there’s a whole load of grey. When someone goes missing there’s a lot of guilt and self-recrimination: Why didn’t we see this coming? Why didn’t she talk to us? Why couldn’t we keep her safe? And, both as a result and separately, a desire to make sense of events and have someone to blame: Leah wouldn’t do this to us, someone else must have coerced or harmed her; Leah never lied to us until she met him; this is what happens when you start mixing with people who don’t share our values, etc.

I think the idea that she was known to be in a relationship with X, that they were concerned about it (either because of his faith/culture/skin or because of his ambiguous marital status or for some other reason), that Leah had changed since meeting him and was moody/secretive, and that they viewed him as a prime suspect from day 1 is very much belied by the way things played out immediately after her disappearance. If all that was really the case, there are various things that would have happened that did not:
  • The fact that she was supposedly in a relationship would have come out, and his name would probably have become public long before it did.
  • The idea that it was supposedly a ‘secret’ relationship would have been tested by trying to find out if anyone else knew about it, what they knew and what could be proven.
  • The night away in a hotel would have taken on new significance and the police would have been alerted to it promptly (albeit that at first they would have been looking at the wrong hotel), the friends she was supposed to be with would have been questioned, and the CCTV would have been viewed in time to learn something from it. (In fact, if they were so worried about X before she disappeared, I refuse to believe that they didn’t have suspicions about the hotel stay at the time – and yet they say they didn’t and don’t seem to have thought about it even after she was gone.)
  • They would not have told the police and media that things were completely normal, she was happy and unstressed, and her disappearance was a total mystery.
The fact that this narrative has changed greatly over the last two years imo bespeaks a process of adjustment that can be interpreted as a coping mechanism. By reframing X as a force of nature who corrupted Leah and turned her from a happy girl who was close to her family into a stressed and moody girl who told lies and eventually ran into trouble, they can cope with the feelings of guilt and helplessness that having a child go missing almost universally induces. Blaming the police for failing to evidence all these allegations and suppositions is another layer of self-protection.

So I think it’s simplistic to feel that people are accusing the Crouchers of ‘lying’, but I also think it’s demonstrable that two years on they are putting a gloss on the facts for their own purposes (ably abetted by the MK Courier, whose ulterior motive is their use of Leah's case as enduring clickbait).

That they might do so is completely understandable, but if we think that we have any value here at WS and any hope of getting to the truth when the police have apparently failed, then imo we do them a disservice if we allow ourselves to get sucked into uncritically repeating their assertions as if they were proven facts, when in reality most of them are not.

JMO

Wasn’t there an older guy in her tae kwon do club that Leah was reported to be close to/maybe having a fling with, an older guy in his 40s think might have been an instructor even, was ages ago but he was in a few pics with Leah/AC at tae kwon do that I saw on FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419