Found Deceased UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Im new to this forum, purely because of this case. I have followed it since the disappearance and i would like to add my theory. Please pick up on anything that you think i may have got wrong based on the evidence so far.

Firstly my opinion is that Lindsay happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, what i mean is she just happened to go for a walk where it was quite secluded and happened to be where a male was lurking for his "prey". My opinion is that this male was looking to rape a woman or girl. He was lurking in the area for at least 2 hours before he got his chance.
I think he strangled her to silence her but it got out of hand and he ended up killing her. After this i think he ripped long grass from the field and covered her temporarily so nobody would find her.
He then went home to get a bag to put her clothes in and also to carry the plasticbags etc. Also he brings with him the wheelie bin, because he knew that she would be found if just covered with grass. I think the many hours he spent up the Coppice until 11.20pm he was putting the body into the bin and actually hiding the bin ( maybe hid the bin in the many allotments.)
I think the fact that the search was now in full flow focussing on the Coppice he didnt want to be seen in that area, hence the 5 day wait for moving her again. Once they had searched that area, he was ready to move her for the final time. He then scouted out his place to bury her the day before. The next day he just had to get it finished and put her in the cemetery.

My question is why didnt the police and his dog find her body, but a normal dog walker and his dog did?

Also i think the whole idea of him doing this for somebody else is so far fetched and is ultimately the only way the defendant could own up to moving the body but not murdering her.

All my own opinions of course but does anybody have any feedback?

I think in summary over the first few days that there is totally overwhelming evidence to say he moved her, but nothing really to link him to the actual murder itself, not withstanding that one naturally links with the other.

I would have thought that with all the coming and going there would be a lot of forensic evidence, fibre transfer etc but nothing has been alluded to so far.

The only way any sort of mystery third party could have been involved is if they where linked by family ties, and the mystery person could be 100% sure that the defendant would follow instruction without question.

Some of the police work does appear to have been less than thorough.

He's probably picked it up from somewhere on his travels.

I don't think it's been established exactly where the wheelie bin came from. But evidence given on day 2 mentions some marks left by the bin at the rear of The Whitaker's Arms (which is located next to the entrance walk to the Coppice that leads off Burnley Road).

12:49pm

A few days later, a further search of the area to the rear of the Whitaker's Arms found two concrete plinths which had various marks on them.

These marks were found to have been produced by a blue coloured wheelie bin - and Mr McLauchlan told the jury that the blue wheelie bin must have passed the plinths at some point

Source: Lancs Telegraph Day two live updates.

I presume they mean 'thee' blue wheelie bin. So it could have actually been taken from the Whitaker's arms. It was no doubt pulled through that way and through the back and then onto the Coppice (maybe even back onto the walking path).

This does make we wonder about the CCTV coverage at The Whitaker's Arms. I would have thought any business premises would have cameras covering the front and rear at the least.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Im new to this forum, purely because of this case. I have followed it since the disappearance and i would like to add my theory. Please pick up on anything that you think i may have got wrong based on the evidence so far.

Firstly my opinion is that Lindsay happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, what i mean is she just happened to go for a walk where it was quite secluded and happened to be where a male was lurking for his "prey". My opinion is that this male was looking to rape a woman or girl. He was lurking in the area for at least 2 hours before he got his chance.
I think he strangled her to silence her but it got out of hand and he ended up killing her. After this i think he ripped long grass from the field and covered her temporarily so nobody would find her.
He then went home to get a bag to put her clothes in and also to carry the plasticbags etc. Also he brings with him the wheelie bin, because he knew that she would be found if just covered with grass. I think the many hours he spent up the Coppice until 11.20pm he was putting the body into the bin and actually hiding the bin ( maybe hid the bin in the many allotments.)
I think the fact that the search was now in full flow focussing on the Coppice he didnt want to be seen in that area, hence the 5 day wait for moving her again. Once they had searched that area, he was ready to move her for the final time. He then scouted out his place to bury her the day before. The next day he just had to get it finished and put her in the cemetery.

My question is why didnt the police and his dog find her body, but a normal dog walker and his dog did?

Also i think the whole idea of him doing this for somebody else is so far fetched and is ultimately the only way the defendant could own up to moving the body but not murdering her.

I read that the plastic Lindsay was wrapped in may have helped to prevent the smell of decomposition fully hitting the air. Could it be the that the police dog searched there in the early days, didn't pick up anything, but an animal later pierced the plastic, making it possible for Morgan Parkinson's dog to find her on the 24th of February?
Hi All,

Hi All,

I'm not too sure what you mean. Gorgeous cat picture by the way

Thank you very much. I just mean he could have been tied up in some gang culture or drug culture.

I just wonder a lot as to a motive for it. Poor Lindsay.

Thank you very much. I just mean he could have been tied up in some gang culture or drug culture.

I just wonder a lot as to a motive for it. Poor Lindsay.
Got you now, thank you. If the attack on Lindsay was opportunistic then the motive was possibly sexual in nature. Or, less likely, a mugging. Gone wrong. On both counts. For example : a male decides he is going to attempt to kiss or touch a female without her permission, she screams, maybe tries to fight him off. He panics, afraid she's going to get away, and, is able to identify him. He strangles her, or physically attacks her and she dies. Another example is a pre - planned attack where someone has made a decision in advance of said attack that they want someone dead. Usually the individual has a reason/reasons why they want the victim 'out of the way'. Their motive is often financial, or due to jealousy, lust, greed, etc

Friday, February 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 10:30am UK) – UK – Lindsay Birbeck (47) (from Huncoat; last seen ~ 2:30pm on Aug. 12, 2019 & walking towards Accrington on Burnley Road @ 4:06pm on CCTV; found Aug. 24, 2019 in the area of Accrington Cemetery on Burnley Road) - *16/now 17 year old arrested (8/27/19) on suspicion of murder & on charged (8/31/19) with murder. Plead not guilty. Remanded to custody.
Trial began on 2/25/20 with jury selection. Trial started on 2/26 with opening statements. Trial expected to last to 3/13 at the Preston Crown Court. Mrs. Justice Amanda Yip will be presiding judge. No court on 3/6/20. Jury: 11 women & 1 man. No court on 3/2.
The Judge has told the jry that the defendant has a moderate learning disability & suffers with ADHD & autism & finds communication more difficult than other of other people of similar age.

Jury selection (2/25/20) & Trial Day 1 (2/26/20) info reference post #819 here:
Found Deceased - UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

2/27/20 Thursday Day 2: Detective Sergeant David Bowler. The jury shown CCTV footage (Aug. 12, 2019) from the back of Isothane in Accrington. It shows the defendant emerging from brambles and then walk along towards vegetation on Newhouse Road, shown CCTV of the defendant walking down Newhouse Road close to Isothane, next CCTV clip shows defendant walking up Whitewell Road towards Burnley Road (carrying rucksack) & shown CCTV stills of the defendant walking along Whitewell Road and then going through the gate into Accrington Cemetery. He next appears 36 seconds later continuing onto Burnley Road. Shown CCTV of the defendant at 7.48pm - 50 minutes later - appearing from a grassed area off Burnley Road between two houses and crossing the road towards the cemetery. Another clip shows him walking out of the side cemetery gate, and showed the jury CCTV of the defendant wearing a rucksack and pulling a blue wheelie bin up Whitewell Road towards Burnley Road. Area map shown to jury. Next CCTV clip shown to the jury is from 11.18pm on August 12, 2019, and shows the defendant walking from the area behind Burnley Road, crossing the road and entering the cemetery. He is carrying a rucksack and then walks onto Whitewell Road. He no longer has the blue wheelie bin. Jury shown a transcript of a call from Tim Birbeck to Lancashire Police shortly after midnight, reporting her missing. Statement of community search volunteer Shane Killaway (re her jacket seen by the Bibbys). A statement from Judith Bibby who went on a dog walk in the Coppice with her husband Martin & ralph their dog was read to the jury. Jury shown CCTV of the defendant on August 16, 2019. He is observed walking up Whitewell Road towards Burnley Road, then shown CCTV of the defendant’s reverse journey at around 2.13pm on August 16, 2019. He walks down the side of the Whitakers Arms pub and crosses Burnley Road. He enters Accrington Cemetery & walks across the grass towards the area where Lindsay was later found. Then shown a CCTV compilation of the defendant’s movements on Saturday, August 17, 2019. At 1.48pm he is seen walking along Whitewell Road in the direction of Burnley Road. He crosses the road towards the Whitakers Arms and turn right up a path at the side of the pub. Junior prosecutor Simon Driver read statements: from Stephen Greenwood (saw male pulling bin Burnley & junciton Whitewell Rd). From Natalie Bartholomew (saw male pulling bin down Burnley Road). From Nick Haworth (saw male pulling bin). Statement from Elaine Hewitt (saw male with a wheelie bin walking towards the entrance of Accrington Cemetery on Whitewell Road). Statement by Patricia Lee (was w/Hewitt, saw same as above). Jury shown CCTV of the defendant leaving Accrington Cemetery at 3.50pm on August 17, 2019, and onto Whitewell Road. Jury heard a statement from Christine Alderson who visited Accrington Cemetery on Sunday, August 18, 2019. She was walking her dogs with her daughter (saw bloody tissue). Read a statement from Daniel Westell who joined in the search for Lindsay Birbeck using his off road bike (found bin). Jury shown CCTV of the defendant on August 20, 2019. He walks into the cemetery and over to the grassed area towards where Lindsay’s body was found. Another statement has been read to the jury from police dog handler PC John Cuthbertson. Statements of Gemma Hudson, Leanne Singleton and Sarah Thistlethwaite were searching the cemetery (8/20/19) and noticed the blue wheelie bin. Statement from Jonathan Kell. He was helping with the search for Lindsay on August 20, 2019 also found the bin. Statement from Patricia Stevenson. She was walking her dog in Accrington Cemetery between 8.30am and 9.15am on August 21, 2019. Ms Stevenson said she saw the blue wheelie bin in the shrubbery. Shown different CCTV clips of the defendant’s movements on August 23, 2019. Shown CCTV of the defendant on August 24, 2019. This was the day Lindsay Birbeck’s body was found at Accrington Cemetery. The defendant was observed walking up Whitewell Road towards Burnley Road and then into the cemetery. He later walked across the grass away from where Lindsay was discovered and exited the cemetery. Trial continues tomorrow 2/28 at 10:30am. Her Honour Mrs Justice Yip has told the jury that the trial will not sit on Monday, March 2.

I keep getting back to sexual intentions in the beginning. As in maybe it began as an assault but went wrong as you say. Nothing has really been said about any findings pointing to this. Probably couldn’t tell.

Also, profilers and FBI agents often say that stranger murders are so incredibly rare. One agent interviewed on a recent podcast I listened to said he’d worked cases for 18 years and had never seen one.

I keep getting back to sexual intentions in the beginning. As in maybe it began as an assault but went wrong as you say. Nothing has really been said about any findings pointing to this. Probably couldn’t tell.

Also, profilers and FBI agents often say that stranger murders are so incredibly rare. One agent interviewed on a recent podcast I listened to said he’d worked cases for 18 years and had never seen one.
Yes, stranger murders are rarer than being murdered by someone you know. Reassuring isn't it?!

I don't think it's been established exactly where the wheelie bin came from. But evidence given on day 2 mentions some marks left by the bin at the rear of The Whitaker's Arms (which is located next to the entrance walk to the Coppice that leads off Burnley Road).
12:49pm
A few days later, a further search of the area to the rear of the Whitaker's Arms found two concrete plinths which had various marks on them.
These marks were found to have been produced by a blue coloured wheelie bin - and Mr McLauchlan told the jury that the blue wheelie bin must have passed the plinths at some point

Source: Lancs Telegraph Day two live updates.
I presume they mean 'thee' blue wheelie bin. So it could have actually been taken from the Whitaker's arms. It was no doubt pulled through that way and through the back and then onto the Coppice (maybe even back onto the walking path).
This does make we wonder about the CCTV coverage at The Whitaker's Arms. I would have thought any business premises would have cameras covering the front and rear at the least.

Snipped from your post above

I seem to remember, although it was never confirmed, that it was believed the cctv at Whitakers had been turned off / was not working at that time, due to the fact that the pub was closed for renovations.

I read that the plastic Lindsay was wrapped in may have helped to prevent the smell of decomposition fully hitting the air. Could it be the that the police dog searched there in the early days, didn't pick up anything, but an animal later pierced the plastic, making it possible for Morgan Parkinson's dog to find her on the 24th of February?

Surely the dog should have alerted to the bin though as there were blood stains in there too. The dog was trained to smell blood and flesh.

She either wasnt there then or that dog isnt any good. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member