UK UK - London Fire Brigade's arson detecting sniffer dogs

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
The Mail today has an article on LFB's 3 sniffer dogs trained to detect evidence of accelerants at fire scenes, even a year after the fire occurred.

Sherlock the forensic fire dog can sniff out evidence of an arson a year after it happened and wears bespoke bootees so he doesn’t hurt his paws

As I stepped beyond the police tape, surveying the twisted metal and charred wood all around, it was difficult to imagine that this had been a thriving city shop just a few hours earlier.

A catastrophic fire had raged through the building, so fiercely that two firefighters were in hospital with critical injuries — two of my colleagues. In my job, that’s the news we dread most.

I’m a fire investigator with London Fire Brigade. I’ve been in the role for more than five years, but for almost all of that time I’ve had a partner — one with much keener instincts and sharper skills than mine could ever be. My partner is called Sherlock.

Sherlock is a detective. He doesn’t wear a deerstalker hat or smoke a pipe, though. He’s a working cocker spaniel, and he has abilities that are jaw-dropping — as is his 100 per cent success rate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-dog-sniff-evidence-arson-year-happened.html

Cute and clever! They do an amazing job.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back