UK - Lucy Letby Trial - Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION*

Episode 57, Toxic Culture​

In this episode Caroline and Liz speak to Dr John Gibbs, one of the consultants who repeatedly tried to blow the whistle on Lucy Letby. He speaks of his regret that hospital managers didn’t listen or go to police sooner.

Reactions: IDK

CHILD serial killer Lucy Letby has formally lodged a bid to challenge her conviction at the Court of Appeal, officials have confirmed.

Court staff said on Friday, September 15, that they had received an application for permission to appeal.

The Mail podcast from 10th July 2023, which I've now transcribed. It contains material about defence expert witnesses not included in any other media articles, in the judge's summing up before the jury retired to deliberate.

Episode 45, The jury retires​

In this episode Caroline and Liz explain that the jury has now been sent out to consider their verdicts. They were asked to begin their deliberations after listening to the judge sum up the case for more than four days.

Transcript

"The prosecution and defence have finished outlining their cases and the jury have now been asked to decide whether Lucy Letby is guilty or not guilty of the 22 charges that she faces. I’m Liz Hull, northern correspondent for the Mail. I will be in court to report on the case as it develops. And I’m Caroline Cheetham, a broadcast journalist. Every week we’ll examine what’s happened and bring you the details behind the headlines. This is The Trial of Lucy Letby.

LH: So all the evidence in the case has now been heard by the jury. The prosecution and the defence have outlined their cases and we’re now approaching the end of this trial. [explanation given re. anonymity of babies] In this episode we’ll hear the judge, Mr Justice Goss, send the jury out to begin their deliberations.

CC: We’ll bring you his summing up of all the evidence they’ve heard over the past 145 days.

LH: We’ll outline his reminder that although experts were instructed for both the prosecution and the defence, only the prosecution called their experts to give evidence.

CC: And we’ll explain that he urged the jury to make their decisions on the facts and to try to disregard the emotion and personal loss involved in the case.

LH: Welcome to episode 45, The jury retires.

CC: So we’ve reached a really important stage in the case Liz, because today, in fact just a few hours ago, the jury was finally sent out to deliberate on their verdicts, over nine months after they were sworn in.

LH: Yes last week the eight women and four men of the jury listened intently as the judge, Mr Justice Goss, summarised all the evidence they’ve heard from the prosecution and the defence, since this all began last October.

CC: We said a couple of weeks ago but it’s worth mentioning again, this trial has now been sitting through every season and today was the day that everyone’s been working towards for so long. The day the judge sent the jury out to consider the fundamental issue in the case, whether Lucy Letby, a neonatal nurse at the Countess of Chester Hospital, is guilty or innocent of murdering and attempting to murder babies in her care.

LH: And now all everyone else, that’s the barristers and lawyers, police officers, us and all the other journalists, the mums and dads of the babies and Lucy Letby herself, can do is wait. Wait until they reach a decision on each of the 22 charges she faces.

CC: So let’s go back to what the judge, Mr Justice Goss, told the jury before he sent them out. Now he explained that he was going to remind them of what they’d heard from all of the witnesses who came to court to give evidence over the past nine months.

LH: While the prosecution speech from Nick Johnson KC a couple of weeks ago explained why they say Lucy Letby is guilty and Ben Myers KC’s speech examined the opposite, that’s why he says she’s innocent, the summary from the judge is designed to provide them with a more balanced narrative, based on the evidence they’ve heard of what happened on the neonatal unit of the Countess of Chester Hospital.

CC: So Mr Justice Goss went back to the beginning by giving them a bit of background and context to the case. He explained that it had all been prompted by a significant rise in the numbers of babies suffering serious and unexpected collapses in the hospital’s neonatal unit in 2015 and 2016.

Judge: The prosecution case is that those collapses were not natural events, but were caused by the defendant Lucy Letby using various means to harm babies, intending they should die. Some died, others were resuscitated or in the case of alleged poisoning by insulin, the source was removed. A number of babies were subjected, the prosecution say, to repeated attempts to kill them. After a year it became clear that, of all the nursing staff and doctors, the defendant and her alone was at work in the unit at relevant times and was sometimes present when unexpected collapses occurred.

LH: The judge said his summing up would not be exhaustive and told the jury it was up to them to decide which were the most relevant and important pieces of evidence when they made their decisions.

CC: And he began by reminding them of some of the detail relating to the neonatal unit and what was going on there at the time they’re concerned with. He said back then the unit was a level 2 centre capable of taking babies born after 27 weeks.

Judge: up to 2015 the number of deaths on the unit was within the expected number of a unit of its type in the region, which was less than the national average. In 2015 and 2016 the numbers of deaths increased significantly with a marked difference both in the number of deaths and the unusual and unexpected nature of the deaths. The defence contend that this was a consequence of the increased number of neonatal babies being admitted at that time and the higher acuity of those babies. As the number of cases increased the consultants began to “think the unthinkable” as it was described – that these were not naturally occurring sudden collapses but the consequence of deliberate harmful acts.

LH: The judge reminded the jury that Lucy Letby was asked about her relationship with other members of staff who worked on the unit. She confirmed that apart from one of the female consultants who we can’t name for legal reasons but we’ve been calling doctor B, who she didn’t have the best working relationship with, she’d had no problem with any of the doctors and had a normal working relationship with them all.

Judge: ...she loved doctor A as a friend, but was not ‘in love’ with him. Later she characterised Dr Stephen Brearey as a *advertiser censored*. After investigations began she said he was one of four consultants, the others being Dr Ravi Jayaram, Dr Gibbs and Dr B, who conspired together to apportion blame on her, she believed to cover the failings of the hospital.

LH: There were seven consultants who worked on the neonatal unit and the children’s ward next door, the judge said. Nurses on the unit were qualified in three different bands. Band 6 were the highest qualified followed by band 5 nurses who were split between those who were qualified to care for intensive care babies and those who were not, and band 4 nurses commonly known as nursery nurses who mainly looked after the special care babies.

CC: he reminded the jury that several nurses had given evidence that the unit was sometimes short-staffed and on occasion they weren’t able to provide one-to-one care to intensive care babies which was in breach of recognised guidelines.

LH: But, the judge said, doctors had refuted any suggestion that staffing levels had compromised the care of any child. And a review carried out by the RCPCH had subsequently found staffing levels were better at the Countess than in all other district hospitals in the Cheshire Mersey area.

Judge: these units did not have the same mortality problems as the Countess of Chester.

LH: he told the jury it was up to them to decide the relevance of the staffing issues.

Judge: there is evidence of occasions when, contrary to standards, a nurse on shift was the designated nurse for more than one intensive care baby. There was also occasions when the nursing staff complained about the shift and when care was not as good as it should have been. Of potential relevance is whether any specific or identified failings by any of the clinicians and nursing practitioners was or may have been relevant to any deterioration of babies or any event you are considering. In particular whether a failure of care or mistake was causative to a sudden deterioration of any baby in the case or adversely affected their chances of recovery.

CC: the judge then summarised the prosecution and defence’s position on the two babies, baby F and baby L, who were poisoned with insulin.

Judge: in the case of two babies there is evidence of unprescribed insulin having been administered when it was wholly inappropriate. They are baby F and baby L each of whom was a twin. In their cases the prosecution invite you to conclude that there can be no doubt that someone intentionally added insulin to nutritional feed and dextrose, that being given to baby F and baby L respectively. And the chances of there being more than one person acting in that way can be entirely discounted. Medical negligence or accident cannot have played any part in these cases, they submit. The defence invite you to question the evidence of the taking of blood samples, and the potential consequences of insulin poisoning and the lack of harm caused. The prosecution say this evidence is of major significance being incontrovertible evidence that someone was deliberately and knowingly doing something completely contrary to normal practice. They say it was very dangerous and must have been done with the intent of endangering the lives of the children. They say this assists and informs you in the cases of the other children who suffered sudden and unexplained collapses from which there was no apparent medical explanation.

LH: the judge said it was the defence case that Lucy Letby was a dedicated, caring and conscientious nurse who never did anything to harm any child.

Judge: …babies do collapse for no apparent reason and there are potential medical reasons for at least some of the collapses. If there was someone intent on harming children it was not her.

CC: he explained that Lucy Letby had no previous convictions and had never been in trouble with the police before her arrest in July 2018.

LH: he explained she’d always wanted to work with children and selected her A levels so she could study for a degree in nursing. She undertook two work placements at the Countess in 2010 and 2011 while at Chester University, and started work as a band 5 nurse at the Countess in January 2012. Initially she started working with special care babies in nurseries 3 and 4 the judge said but she always strived to go on every course, and in March or April 2015 she completed a six-month course which involved a placement at the Liverpool Women’s hospital that allowed her to care for the sickest babies on the unit.

Judge: the defendant said that over a 12-month period she cared for hundreds of babies and she never did anything that was meant to hurt any of them. She only ever did her best to care for them. Hurting a baby was completely against everything being a nurse is. She was there to help and to care, not to harm.

LH: the judge reminded the jury that they’d heard from seven expert witnesses for the prosecution including the two paediatricians Dr Dewi Evans and Dr Sandie Bohin.

CC: he also said that although medical experts had been instructed by the defence only experts for the prosecution had given evidence.

Judge: although you know that experts were instructed on behalf of the defence and there were meetings between experts the only witnesses from whom you have heard were called by the prosecution. As with any witness it is for you to decide whether you accept some or all of the evidence of an expert witness. It is your view as to the significance and reliability of this evidence that is important.

LH: the judge also urged the jury to make their decisions on the facts and to try to disregard emotion and the personal trauma and loss involved in the case.

CC: he then focused his attention on each of the babies and the charges relating to them in the case, recapping what each witness has said when they were called to give evidence about them.

LH: we’ve heard much of this evidence over the course of our previous 44 episodes so we aren’t going to repeat it here again. But explaining what happened to each child took Mr Justice Goss the best part of four days.

LH: finally at two minutes past one, the two jury bailiffs who look after the jury while they are deliberating were officially sworn in and the judge sent the eight women and four men out into their retirement room to begin their deliberations.

Judge: how you conduct your deliberations is entirely a matter for you. You should of course respect each other’s opinions and value different viewpoints. Everyone should have a chance to speak. You should listen to one another and no one should feel pressure. You are under no pressure of time. Do not make your own enquiries about the case or talk or communicate with anyone in any way except when you are all together as a group of twelve. When you reach your verdicts your foreman should inform the jury bailiff and you will be called back in to court. The clerk of the court will ask the foreman to stand and they will be asked on each count whether you have reached a verdict and then whether you find the defendant guilty or not guilty. That completes my directions and I ask you now to retire and commence your deliberations."

[...]

The 33-year-old – who was last month sentenced to a whole life order for murdering seven babies and attempting to murder six others – is expected to start her bid to clear her name at a court hearing later this month.

But any full consideration of her appeal is unlikely to take place for several months. [...]

One father, whose baby Letby tried to murder, told the Mail: 'I'm disgusted and angry that Letby is appealing.

'As if we haven't been through enough. We are trying to rebuild our lives and now this, it's a joke of a system. I don't understand on what grounds she can appeal - there were no mitigating factors in the trial.'

[...]

Anyone convicted of a crime has 28 days to ask for permission to appeal – the 28-day period from the last verdicts in Letby's trial would have elapsed today.

A judge will now look at Letby's application and decide whether to give permission for it to go to appeal.

Should permission be given, the appeal would be heard by three senior judges.

If her application for permission to appeal is rejected, Letby can still renew her application before a panel of two or three judges.

[...]

The Judicial Office said it had received an application from her legal team.

'I can confirm that an application for leave to appeal against conviction has been received in the case of Lucy Letby,' a spokesman said.

Letby's solicitor, Richard Thomas, declined to comment today.

[...]

The Criminal Appeal Office said it could not give any information about the grounds for appeal. No court hearing has yet been formally listed, the Judicial Office said.

[...]

1695368246362.png1695368258111.png

[...] The woman fears her daughter - who was born prematurely in September 2014 - may have been left brain damaged by Letby, and is calling for police to investigate. [...]

The mum revealed that a day after Letby left the note, her baby girl ended up at the centre of a medical drama. Initially, her daughter had been making positive progress on the neonatal unit, and was moved to a nursery ward where she continued gaining strength. Having reached 5lbs, her parents were preparing for her to be discharged when they arrived one morning - shortly after Letby had been on shift - to find alarms ringing and their daughter's health rapidly deteriorating. [...]

The mum said: "I screamed for them to open up the incubator to get an oxygen mask on her. She had to have a lumbar puncture, then was put back in intensive care. No infection was found." Around the time she was born, the woman's daughter had a brain scan and the results were clear, she said. However, eight months later in May 2015, she visited a consultant after realising her daughter was struggling to sit upright. An MRI scan confirmed that she had brain damage with cerebral palsy. [...]

"In the picture, the plaster should be taped to her nose to keep it on, but it isn't. It's not a nice photo, and I don't know why anyone would take a picture of it.

The mum later got in contact with police to voice her concerns over Letby taking care of her daughter, and the lack of an explanation for her condition. She said: "Their first response was that it wasn't in the timeframe they were looking at. When they widened the dates slightly I emailed again, but they said 'it's not part of our investigation and we suggest you speak to her consultant'. [...]

Episode 63, The expert witness​

Partial transcript:

Dr Dewi Evans
: “so having completed my reports on the 32 cases by November 2017 I sent them all off to Cheshire Police, highlighting the ones I thought were concerning and telling them ‘cross-reference who was on duty for these babies’. And of course for the 15 there was one nurse on duty for all of these cases.

Liz Hull: and we’re talking about 15 we should probably just say because the other two are the insulin cases, which make up to the 17 babies involved in the trial.

DE: Yes. So what I then said to the police that they shouldn’t rely on my opinion alone. You need to get someone else. So they sent my reports to a consultant neonatologist in Newcastle upon Tyne, Dr Martin Ward Platt. His view was exactly the same as mine. But sadly he became seriously ill and died, and this is why he was not part of the prosecution team. So that led to the police finding Dr Sandie Bohin who had been a neonatologist in Leicester before moving to Guernsey. Her role was to scrutinise my reports, peer review my reports. So she came to the same conclusions as I did, some of these babies were victims of inflicted direct harm, direct trauma, some were victims of air into the circulation, and some had milk or milk and air injected into their stomachs. And of course several of these babies had sustained multiple assaults and several of them were the victims of having air into the stomach and air into the bloodstream.

LH: there’s been a lot of questions about why Ben Myers didn’t call a medical expert for Lucy Letby. We know from court that he, they did employ a medical expert to review your reports and to review the cases. So can you tell us why you think he didn’t call him, or why, you know, it’s intriguing.

DE: For the past 10 years I’ve probably prepared as many reports for the defence in criminal cases as I have for the police, for the prosecution. And the rules in relation to the defence are totally different. The defence is under no obligation to disclose anything. Now what they are obliged to do is to get an independent opinion if the prosecution says that the defendant has harmed an individual and that the evidence is based on medical expertise. So therefore they need to get their own expert, or experts. And this is what they did. But once I saw the reports from the two paediatricians, this is in June, I told the prosecution team and Cheshire Police they are not going to call their expert witnesses.

LH: So in your opinion did you feel like those reports were prepared to counter your reports rather than to explain what had happened to the babies?

DE: That is correct.

LH: and we know, don’t we, that their expert sat in the court next door, and that’s perfectly legal, you sat there and listened to the evidence as it came out from the medics at the Countess, and he did the same, and listened to your evidence as well…

DE: Yes.

LH: …so, they were fully in the picture, and they could have been called but Mr Myers for whatever reason decided that he wouldn’t call his expert."

Last edited:

9:46am

The court hearing is expected to begin at 10.30am.
We will provide updates from the courtroom at Manchester Crown Court.

10:14am

Dozens of members of the media have now entered court 4 at Manchester Crown Court, one of the larger courtrooms in the building, in advance of the hearing.

10:22am

Nicholas Johnson KC, the prosecutor in the Lucy Letby trial, and Benjamin Myers KC, for Letby's defence, have arrived in the courtroom, along with their respective legal teams.

10:26am

Lucy Letby is appearing via videolink from HMP Newhall.

10:28am

The judge has entered the courtroom, and Letby has confirmed she can hear proceedings.

10:32am

The prosecution say they are seeking a retrial in the case of the attempted murder of Child K, and not the remaining counts.

10:33am

Such a retrial would last about two weeks, the prosecution and judge agree on, but the judge adds that juries can deliberate for some time. He says a retrial would therefore last up to three weeks.

10:35am

The judge says it would be "inappropriate" for that retrial to take place until the application of appeal was processed.

10:35am

Such a retrial would take place from October 7, 2024, the judge adds, saying that is "the first available date".

10:40am

Mr Myers rises to say Letby maintains her innocence on the unresolved matters.
He outlines the difficulties on what could be presented to the jury in a retrial.
He says '2-3 weeks' is a "reasonable estimate" for the length of that trial, and says next October presents some difficulties for the defence team, owing to a long-running case scheduled for around that time.

10:43am

The judge says he is prepared not to fix a date for a retrial, but to say the trial would 'not take place before' a specific date.
A date next June is now offered by the court clerk, and the retrial is provisionally fixed for June 10, 2024, as that availability appears more suited to the prosecution and defence.
Mr Justice James Goss says he is unable to confirm whether he would be the judge for that retrial.

10:44am

The judge confirms the retrial would take place in Manchester, as it would not be possible "to accommodate anywhere else which would be appropriate".

10:51am

The judge says a jury will be directed, in the retrial, to judge the case solely on the evidence that is presented before them.

11:28am

The court has resumed following an adjournment.

11:30am

The judge confirms what can be reported to the media, in that the prosecution intends to seek a retrial on the attempted murder case of Child K, listed for June 10, 2024, expected to last between two and three weeks.

11:42am

It has been clarified the prosecution is, at this stage, not intending to proceed with a retrial on the remaining five counts.

12:00pm

The Crown Prosecution Service has issued a statement following today's court hearing:
Jonathan Storer, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS Mersey-Cheshire, said: “These decisions on whether to seek retrials on the remaining counts of attempted murder were extremely complex and difficult.
“Before reaching our conclusions we listened carefully to the views of the families affected, police and prosecution counsel.
“Many competing factors were considered including the evidence heard by the court during the long trial and its impact on our legal test for proceeding with a prosecution.
“We have met with all the families affected by these decisions to explain how they were reached.”

12:28KEY EVENT

Solicitor for 7 babies' families 'disappointed' with CPS decision​

Tamlin Bolton, a Senior Associate Solicitor at Switalskis, represents the families of seven babies.
In a statement today, she said: "At Switalskis, we are disappointed with the CPS decision to not proceed with a retrial on all of the cases. We believe that the families of the further alleged victims still have questions that are unanswered, and they deserve to know what happened to their children."

The former neonatal nurse, originally from Hereford, attended the hour-long hearing via videolink from a conference room at HMP New Hall in Wakefield, West Yorkshire.
Sat behind a desk, Letby spoke only to confirm her name and that she could see and hear the proceedings.

CPS statement on Lucy Letby retrial decisions​

25 September 2023|News

We have sought a retrial on one count of attempted murder against Lucy Letby – there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.

Jonathan Storer, Chief Crown Prosecutor, CPS Mersey-Cheshire, said:
“These decisions on whether to seek retrials on the remaining counts of attempted murder were extremely complex and difficult.
“Before reaching our conclusions we listened carefully to the views of the families affected, police and prosecution counsel.
“Many competing factors were considered including the evidence heard by the court during the long trial and its impact on our legal test for proceeding with a prosecution.
“We have met with all the families affected by these decisions to explain how they were reached.”
ENDS

Notes to editors​

• Our legal guidance on retrials is available to read here: Retrials | The Crown Prosecution Service (cps.gov.uk)
  • Our legal test for prosecution, the Code for Crown prosecutors, is available to read here: The Code for Crown Prosecutors | The Crown Prosecution Service (cps.gov.uk)
  • In August, Lucy Letby was found guilty of seven counts of murder and seven counts of attempted murder. She was found not guilty of two counts of attempted murder. She was sentenced to life imprisonment with a whole-life term.
  • There were a further six counts of attempted murder - relating to five babies - on which the jury was unable to reach verdicts. Today’s decisions relate to these counts.

Child serial killer Lucy Letby does not oppose a bid to strike her from the nursing register but maintains her innocence in respect of her convictions, the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) has been told. [...]

Mr Scott will ask the panel to strike Letby off. Letby, of Hereford, was told of the hearing but did not attend and was not represented.

The panel decided to proceed in her absence. She faces a retrial next June for one count of attempted murder.

"The panel found she was unfit to practise nursing before it went on to make the striking-off order, a move they have heard Letby does not resist, despite maintaining her innocence in respect of her convictions. [...]

Herdan also said she had abused her position of trust as a nurse, had shown no remorse and that there were no mitigating factors.

He imposed an interim suspension order against Letby for 18 months to cover a potential appeal period."

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back