Deceased/Not Found UK - Margaret Fleming, 19, Inverclyde, Scotland, 17 Dec 1999 *Guilty*

Just read about the case of toddler Holly Bringan who disappeared with her mother Salena Dingwall, from Irvine in October 2009. At the time, it was suspected Salena may have used her skills working in an anti-corruption unit to set up a new life for her and her daughter without being detected.

Not saying it's connected but I wouldn't put it past Cairney either. Irvine to Inverkip is about 30 miles.

The fire was in 2008 so it's not connected. The fire was reported to have lasted 2 days.

The lady here in Irvine fled her abusive husband who was an ex-police sergeant.

Man who murdered vulnerable Scots woman before taking part in £182,000 benefits scam refuses to settle proceeds of crime action

A man who murdered a vulnerable woman before participating in a £182,000 benefits scam is “categorically” refusing to settle a proceeds of crime action with prosecutors.

Lawyers for Edward Cairney, 79, wanted to discuss the possibility with him of paying cash to prosecutors to bring the matter to an end before a full court hearing.

However, on Monday, defence advocate Mark Moir told judge Lord Sandison that his client is unwilling to discuss bringing the case to a conclusion.

Mr Moir added: “He categorically refuses to enter into any discussion about any settlement in this case.”

Well, that's it, they have to re-pay less than £28,000 of the £182,000 they stole.

Where/how have they hidden the proceeds of the house sale (Seacroft, Inverkip - £120,000), and the tens of thousands that was in a safety deposit box at the time of their arrest, while in custody?

The case is discussed on 'Faking It' (series 6, episode 4), on Quest Red in UK at 11pm tonight.

I dread to think how many other people are being similarly let down by the system that is supposed to protect them. To be honest, I think the government deserves to lose that money, if it cannot be bothered to provide and adequately fund social/healthcare/welfare systems that can protect vulnerable people like Margaret. As far as I know, we are still waiting to find out what safeguards, if any, will be put in place to ensure vulnerable people are properly looked after.

Bit more.

Vulnerable 19-year-old Margaret Fleming murdered in £182,000 benefits scam was 'invisible', report finds after her death was kept secret for 20 years.​

Bit more.

Vulnerable 19-year-old Margaret Fleming murdered in £182,000 benefits scam was 'invisible', report finds after her death was kept secret for 20 years.​

It’s so frustrating how much we still don't know. I’m also confused about one of the quotes in this article saying she was tied up and starved because it then does not repeat this information anywhere else and they even say that they don’t know how she died.

It’s so frustrating how much we still don't know. I’m also confused about one of the quotes in this article saying she was tied up and starved because it then does not repeat this information anywhere else and they even say that they don’t know how she died.
The article about being tied up is here in the headlines but there's nothing in the article, journalistic licence?

Calculating' killer 'carers' who tied up and starved a vulnerable woman before covering up her death for TWENTY years to claim £182k in benefits are jailed for life for her murder.​

The full report of the Significant Case Review for Margaret Fleming is available via this page:

I wish that I could be confident that the recommendations will prevent future harm, and that agencies will be proactive in reviewing anyone else who may have been suffering similar abuse for years.

The Chair of the Adult Protection Committee said:
"See something, say something. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t and there should be a multi-agency response to that. The same applies to society in general and we have a collective responsibility to look out for each other and speak up if something doesn’t seem right."

That's all very well - I agree that we all have a responsibility - but it's the agencies who have to actually do something, and to be effective in that, they have to be adequately-resourced (among other things).

I have tried to report concerns about a young family, but it was declined because I did not know the full names and dates of birth of the children (but did give their address). Some people might stop trying to help, assuming that concerns will be disregarded, so agencies do need to ensure concerns are logged, and investigated properly wherever possible.

I’m still so confused. This report says they received help from her mother in making the report. Where was she the entire time? I always thought her family was dead and that’s why she ended up with these carers. If her mom was alive why did she never go to see her for over 20years? IMO. I still have so many questions about all of it and it makes me so sad for Margaret that she was so easily forgotten.

I’m still so confused. This report says they received help from her mother in making the report. Where was she the entire time? I always thought her family was dead and that’s why she ended up with these carers. If her mom was alive why did she never go to see her for over 20years? IMO. I still have so many questions about all of it and it makes me so sad for Margaret that she was so easily forgotten.
Margaret's mother did try to intervene - she told the court that she tried to take Margaret home and was assaulted by Cairney. She also said that Margaret told her that she wanted to stay with Cairney and Jones. Margaret's mother even involved the Police, who told her Margaret was okay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back