UK UK - Mystery woman who died in 2004 fall from London tower block could finally be identified

TY, from very lengthy link, rbbm...
1685279875443.png
''It was before 9am and workers were still filtering into Wembley Point. The woman got into the lift. Two fellow passengers recall she was intensely distressed. One told investigators he said something like: “Cheer up, love, it might never happen.” When they got out, she continued to the 21st floor, where there was a cafe. It was a workplace canteen, not the kind of place you’d know about if you weren’t familiar with the building.''

''In the cafe, the woman bought a coffee and sat at a table close to a window. She smoked a cigarette from an almost empty 10-pack of Marlboros and leafed through a copy of the Guardian she was thought to have brought with her. Then she stood up, climbed on to the table, opened the window and jumped out.
“Things happened in a split second,” one person in the cafe at the time told investigators. “One moment she was sat very still in the far corner of the restaurant''.

''Soon after 9am, police retrieved the woman’s body from the river below. She did not have a single identifying document or object on her; no wallet, no bank cards or driving licence, no house keys, no phone.''

''But if she picked the building at random, why take an oil painting with her, and how did she know the cafe was there? “Security was quite lax, but the cafe wasn’t the kind of place where you saw members of the public,” Hedderman says. “And how would you know there were no safety locks on the windows? Even in 2004, I think that was quite unusual on such a high floor.”

''In the US, the rise of genetic genealogy and the huge popularity of commercial DNA testing sites such as 23andMe have helped to solve a wave of cold cases. But the British police do not currently use these commercial entities, and while they do check DNA against their own databases, in 2004 DNA science was still in its infancy – and it is not clear if samples were even taken from the Wembley Point woman.''

I guess she was an exchange student or guest artist somewhere. The painting is wonderful. I guess she was from an English speaking African country. And I guess she had a history of mental illness.
Not enough to pinpoint someone but it can be a start.

That case reminds me of the Galveston case of a Tanzanian exchange student who was found drowned and it took a long time to have him IDd. His family in Tanzania looked for him but it was hard to make a connection. In the US nobody missed him, the university was used to foreign students coming and going without signing off.

I am guessing that she wasn't a native Londoner from her clothing. On that morning it was around 13C /55F when she bought the bus ticket, imo too warm for so many layers, especially travelling by public transport in rush hour. It's odd there are no brands listed for her clothing, except shoes. That would be helpful to know. And do her rings have any hallmarks? The shell ring is listed as a conch but I think it's a cowrie shell - wikipedia notes cowries are a symbol of womanhood in Sierra Leone.

2022 rbbm
1704228481427.png
''The charity is keen to trace anyone who worked in the building at the time, including then-employees of companies such as Loot, TNS, Loud and Clear Mental Health Advocacy and the American University in London.

Locate International understands that the tower used to host art exhibitions and is also keen to hear from anyone involved in these.

HR managers who worked in the building at the time and may have had an employee suddenly stop turning up for work in late October 2004, or stop claiming their pay, were also urged to make contact.

The woman is described as black, aged between 20 and 40, and about 5'1" to 5'3" (157cm to 162cm) in height.

At the time of her death, she was wearing a maroon bomber zip-up jacket with fabric cuffs, a black leather glove on her right hand along with a thin, black polo jumper and a claret, crew-neck jumper.

She also wore black tights, trousers and black Skechers boots with a zip and buckle on the sides.''

Interesting that one of the companies using the building was 'Loud and Clear Mental Health Advocacy'. This charity no longer exists, ceasing in 2016. Probably just a sad, slightly ironic coincidence that she jumped from this building, although I suppose there could be a connection. She could have been someone who used the charity's services. The charity exclusively provided help to people experiencing mental ill health in the Brent and Harlow area of London. Unlikely that they did anything other than admin in a building like that though. I'm assuming she didn't work there (at least not at the time of her death) because I imagine police would have looked at the employees.

I think it's more likely that she was an artist who knew the building (at least, that there was a cafe on the top floor) because she had shown some work there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back