Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
That home cctv photo of NB holding a bottle of water at the car has reminded me that an ex-colleague at work used to sip at theirs all day but it didn’t contain water.

There‘s absolutely no evidence that NB’s bottle contained anything other than water, however it did jog my memory. Just a passing thought and MOO.

One thing of note that I haven't read was what the police said about Willow being able to exit out of the area if he'd wanted to.

Reporter - But, was more interested in the gate and path leading away from there than the actual water?

SIO - At that time, when the witness found Willow, was between the bench and the gate. However, I have to point out, the dog could have got out from there.

There are two "gates" near the bench, the metal kissing gate back to the main road, and a small wooden stile right next to the bench that I think leads to a fishing area. I'm not sure it has even been made clear exactly which gate Willow was running towards, but IMO it would absolutely be possible (and quite easy) for a springer spaniel to get through the stile if it wanted to. The kissing gate I'm not sure.

Neither gate is far from the bench, so I'm not sure that Willow running just a few metres backwards and forwards, or around a radius of just a few metres, really tells us much. For a fit, healthy springer spaniel that's practically stationary.

With all due respect, I’m not sure there is a mystery. For me, following the disclosure yesterday, it’s a sad and clear picture. One that’s been played out countless times.
It may turn out that is the case, but I find it very bizarre how things have been conducted. Normally with these kind of known risk factors the attention is very much in terms of appeals to the person to get in touch if they are out there and just let someone know they are ok. What has since played out does not seem to match the reality that apparently her partner and close family already knew about.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if NB is out there somewhere taking time away then the whole media frenzy including the Dan Walker circus makes it far more likely she just stays away

Labour MP Stella Creasy said: "The decision to disclose this level of detail on a missing person's private life, with no evidence that this is assisting in finding her, is deeply troubling. The police need to be much clearer as to why any of this helps find Nicola Bulley or support this investigation."
Richard Saunders said: "The fact that the police feel that they had to divulge that Nicola Bulley had significant issues with alcohol due to struggles with the menopause makes me uncomfortable. Give the poor woman some privacy. It’s none of our business."

Liam Hunt added: "The Nicola Bulley ‘breaking news’ isn’t even news. It’s completely insensitive, it adds nothing to the case and it’s what every single woman has to goes through at some point in their life. Lancashire Police are just rubbishing her reputation."

Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu said: "What the hell! Nicola Bulley "struggled with some significant issues with alcohol" & had "ongoing struggles with menopause" by Lancashire Police is disgraceful What the hell has that got to do with finding Nicola? Is she not worth finding? Is public perception meant to change?!"

The intimation that 'well she's not quite right in the head you know' makes for very uncomfortable reading. Two people uppermost in my thoughts this morning are her parents, as if they won't have been going through the absolute worst thoughts and fears, their daughter's reputation is now up for a mud-slinging free for all.
I only hope it doesn't transpire that NB had reached out for professional help and support only to find herself lingering around at the bottom of some 2 year waiting list

That home cctv photo of NB holding a bottle of water at the car has reminded me that an ex-colleague at work used to sip at theirs all day but it didn’t contain water.

There‘s absolutely no evidence that NB’s bottle contained anything other than water, however it did jog my memory. Just a passing thought and MOO.
I'm horrified at considering that though, given the latest Police information revealed. PA would have likely also considered that and still let his daughters be driven to school knowing NB was having problems with alcohol again?? Surely not

Yeah not going to lie that flashed through my mind also.

I'm horrified at considering that though, given the latest Police information revealed. PA would have likely also considered that and still let his daughters be driven to school knowing NB was having problems with alcohol again?? Surely not

Just because a person has alcohol problems doesn't mean they drive drunk. Let's not indulge in wild speculation with no foundation?

I’m thinking this will be families worst nightmare throughout this, people making these kind of assumptions about NB.

IMO her recent difficulties were RISK factors that escalated her to high RISK. RISK RISK, it’s not a forgone conclusion the reveal had anything to do with her going missing.

Police were most probably forced to reveal this information in a sensitive way because if MWT or the DM had done it first it would have been devastating for the family. Police had no choice IMO.
Some would say it wasn't sensitive but I'm not sure there was a good way. Probably also there was an element of trying to curtail the online theorizing about PA, family members and some people in the community. With the benefit of hindsight maybe it would have been better released at the start but I can see why they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m thinking this will be families worst nightmare throughout this, people making these kind of assumptions about NB.

IMO her recent difficulties were RISK factors that escalated her to high RISK. RISK RISK, it’s not a forgone conclusion the reveal had anything to do with her going missing.
Making assumptions? I suggested I don't think she was.

It may turn out that is the case, but I find it very bizarre how things have been conducted. Normally with these kind of known risk factors the attention is very much in terms of appeals to the person to get in touch if they are out there and just let someone know they are ok. What has since played out does not seem to match the reality that apparently her partner and close family already knew about.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if NB is out there somewhere taking time away then the whole media frenzy including the Dan Walker circus makes it far more likely she just stays away

I totally agree. The whole thing is very strange. Normally when someone who’s vulnerable goes missing the police flag that as an important piece of information. They encourage the person to get it touch, it’s also important for the public to know, in case anyone spots the person.

I am so disappointed in the media outlets which ran endless coverage from irresponsible grifters and self promoters designed to undermine investigators and public faith in their competence.

Hill's criticisms of MWT (just as one example) were bang on the money. A person with no special insights, and no relevant qualifications was given a near daily platform to take swipes at LE.

Why?

Criticisms of the police handling of this whole case are borne out frankly - the information that she is vulnerable should have been made public in a much more sensitive way from the start.

The problem with the idea that NB chose to disappear but is still alive somewhere, is that the police still have no evidence she left the riverbank. They admit the Blackpool Ln/Garstang Rd entrance is still a possibility, but even there they've ruled out NB turning right towards The Grapes pub. The places where she could have gone are dwindling.

Personally I now feel she most likely committed suicide in the river. BUT. With it probably being deliberate rather than an accident, the evidence found by the bench no longer necessarily means she went into the river at that spot.
I don’t see hey people are jumping to the conclusion that she killed herself just because it has now been exposed she had alcohol issues. The thing is, this is now going to turn people away from the hypothesis that somebody has taken her. Killing yourself by way of jumping in a river (not off a bridge or the other variety of methods one would most commonly use to kill themselves) seems still highly unlikely to me.

Police were most probably forced to reveal this information in a sensitive way because if MWT or the DM had done it first it would have been devastating for the family. Police had no choice IMO.
Very true
and most probably leaked to them by someone local getting very fed up of the line being pumped out by the family and immediate friends that the missing person has no issues, concerns, previous run ins with the law/social services, happy, successful, steady job and the rest etc - all backed up by the usual sanitized social media photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree -- especially because I don't necessarily associate alcohol and menopause as one related issue but two separate issues NB may be battling.

For example, if NB was being treated for menopause symptoms with Rx, the side effects are readily known and could be a resource for investigators whereas it almost sounds to me like there's some denial about possible alcoholism (i.e., blaming menopause).

If NB is hiding a problem, I can easily envision a situation where NB drops the kids at school and uses the dog walk as her self-soothing opportunity to sneak her drink while walking the dog -- and nothing unusual about walking the trail with your Camelbak Eddy.

Also, while morning consumption sans breakfast might produce the desired result, it might also endanger an individual walking along the edge of a river.

I'm sorry to know NB is struggling, and may not have been in good form on 27 January. MOO :(
Totally agree with everything here.

I believe the dog walk was NB’s “alone time”. I had wondered why her partner wouldn’t walk the dog while she did the school run, or when she returned as he worked slightly later hours but she was due to start work, or why she would walk the dog during a teams meeting. (I have read here that other posters go about all kinds of business while on a teams, but as someone who works from home myself it wouldn’t cross my mind.)

Whether for mindfulness, or as seems possible other reasons, this was part of her routine I think and was important to her. Children safely dropped at school, no one else around, familiar bench to sit for a while maybe. People with dependencies become expert at finding their ways secretly and her partner probably had no idea, if that was the case IMO.

It’s all terribly sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member