Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the family statement

I found it very disappointing bearing in mind literally no-one knows what has happened to NB. Now even her family have decided on a narrative with zero evidence. Really upsetting IMO. It's like they've decided what's happened to her with no proof and no body :( It's all too odd for words.

Well, I think this has become such a circus, with LE underestimating the public and social media from the outset. Simply adding the word vulnerable to that early report of a missing woman would have made a big difference, IMO. The public felt that something was off and decided to take things into their own hands. At worst, ghoulish, at best, well intentioned, to help find her, as many felt the LE were looking at only one scenario, entering the river. I know the LE aren’t obliged to tell us much at all, but really, their hesitance with telling that one important piece of information early on seems to have resulted in NB's personal health issues now coming to the fore. People in the neighbouring villages/ rural area might have been more aware of seeing or remembering a walker in a field somewhere had they not been thinking NB had entered the river.
Jmo.
I'm wondering if not being fully open was at the behest of the family and if so, does the police have the power to overule the family's wishes.

There's a long list of women in the article below, who are still missing after suddely disappearing in recent years. I hadn't heard of any of them. I do wonder what was so different about Nicola's disappearance that caused such a huge amount of interest?

We have threads for some of these ladies, but most are lucky to have 14 posts or pages, let alone 14 entire threads.

There is a known societal phenomena which plays a part in this: Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia

I think as a rule the public tends to pick up on disappearances that could happen to any one of us - but for the grace of god and all that. I also believe that the minute it’s suggested someone was suicidal or likely to have run away voluntarily, we switch off a bit. Human nature.

What *hard* evidence do they have that the perimenopause and stopping the HRT "ended up causing this crisis". I repeat, WHAT hard evidence.

None. It's freaking bizarro, that's what it is. If they'd have said 'we area aware N was struggling and are now convinced she must have harmed herself' that would be one thing. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
The family said: "We, as a family, believe that the public focus has become distracted from finding Nikki, and more about speculation and rumours into her and Paul's private life.

"As a family, we were aware beforehand that Lancashire Police, last night, released a statement with some personal details about our Nikki. Although we know that Nikki would not have wanted this, there are people out there speculating and threatening to sell stories about her. This is appalling and needs to stop.

"The public focus has to be on finding her and not making up wild theories about her personal life."

Threatening to sell stories about her ☹️

On a slightly different note to discussion of all the new information and subsequent media furore - one thing that I noted yesterday was that search area maps have now been published in the latest release, showing the areas covered on land and water in the latest statement.

I have kept clear of posting ‘theories’, but I do think seeing the search areas opens up some potential (if slim) scenarios outside of entering the river that may not have been searched… and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole this evening combining mapping with misper behaviour stats (mainly from Missing Person Behaviour, Robert J. Koester, 2008 and some commonly repeated things I have heard in SAR volunteering). I want to be clear that I am not implying anything about NB when citing possible misper characteristics or behaviours.

Equally, none of this is to say that these areas haven’t been checked, discounted or not considered, or that this is new info - I am sure the search experts in the investigation are all over it. But I enjoy maps, so…

If my understanding of the CCTV gap is correct (if not, please do shout idiot! At me), it does seem that she could have left the immediate bench area by crossing Blackpool Lane at the bridge and continuing downstream towards Great Eccleston on the river path, and (as yet?) has not been picked up doing so on dashcam footage.

You can clearly see the gate opposite the exit path via google street view. If someone were being deliberately evasive - this route offers less chance of being spotted by CCTV/cars than turning left or right on the main road. As well as alternatively offering a straight route to somebody in a confused/altered state of mind.

If she had wanted to go missing for whatever reason - this route (as well as allowing access to the river beyond the weir) could give access across fields northwards to Skitham Lane or westwards to Lancaster Road via the footpath network.

Again, LE may have these points covered by CCTV, or have evidence they’ve not shared that say that is not the case - drone and helicopter searches on the day of her disappearance for instance may have covered this area. But IMO that area of farmland seems the next most likely area after the water to either leave via, or be found within.

It’s mainly open, but does have some small wooded areas that don’t appear to fall into the land and water search maps shared. The boundaries between wooded and open land, particularly facing south, are known to be common choices for those considering ending their life to be found. (As are scenic or personally meaningful spots, ‘just out of sight’)

That would then cover up to roughly 8km from her last known location, in what I believe is the most likely direction of travel based on what we have heard (if she did manage to leave the bench area).
Whilst it can vary greatly depending on the misper and their vulnerabilities and we don’t know which characteristics apply here - the stats from Lost Person Behaviour (Robert J. Koester, 2008) suggest that 95% of mispers with mental illness are found within 8.1km of their last known location, despondent mispers 95% are found within 17.3km (so a bit broader, often due to travelling to meaningful locations, though 75% are found within 2.3km), and intoxicated mispers are 95% 9.7km.

I’m not sure if this is at all interesting to anyone, but if she is not recovered from the water. I’d wonder about searching this area/looking at any exit point footage next.

At a normal walking pace, you’d be looking at roughly 90 minutes to get to the NW corner of that next set of fields.

However, if we are to assume that she has voluntarily gone missing - those exit points on Skitham Lane and Lancaster Road are not on bus routes (other than school buses, as far as I can tell), so would perhaps only be useful for onward journeys if being picked up by someone in a car.

Arguably, you could also make it via those footpaths to the south (assuming leaving the bench at 9:20) to bus stops in Great Ecclestone by 11/11:30. (So before an alarm is raised beyond the immediate area, and ahead of search teams along those routes).

There are then seemingly buses on Fridays from there to St Anne’s (11:38), Blackpool (11:48), Preston (11:15, 12:15) travelling west Great Eccleston, by Square – bustimes.org
Or eastbound to Fleetwood (11:58) or Garstang (12:14) Great Eccleston, by White Bull – bustimes.org

Again, unsure if helpful or interesting in any way shape or form - but I think it does provide potential alternatives to having gone into the river, that fit with the evidence (or lack thereof) we know about at this point.

Of course, if she had travelled onwards, unless it was with help - you would probably have expected some sightings to emerge - particularly if going into Great Eccleston or continuing by bus.

Terribly illustrated map attached to explain visually…
Green = areas covered in police search maps (the bench area is to the right off the map)
Black arrow = Possible route through CCTV dead zone
Yellow = possible land search area/footpath network
Blue = possible western and northern exit points accessed from footpaths
Red = possible footpath route to bus stops in Great Ecclestone

View attachment 403269
Very well thought out and illustrated.

On a slightly different note to discussion of all the new information and subsequent media furore - one thing that I noted yesterday was that search area maps have now been published in the latest release, showing the areas covered on land and water in the latest statement.

I have kept clear of posting ‘theories’, but I do think seeing the search areas opens up some potential (if slim) scenarios outside of entering the river that may not have been searched… and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole this evening combining mapping with misper behaviour stats (mainly from Missing Person Behaviour, Robert J. Koester, 2008 and some commonly repeated things I have heard in SAR volunteering). I want to be clear that I am not implying anything about NB when citing possible misper characteristics or behaviours.

Equally, none of this is to say that these areas haven’t been checked, discounted or not considered, or that this is new info - I am sure the search experts in the investigation are all over it. But I enjoy maps, so…

If my understanding of the CCTV gap is correct (if not, please do shout idiot! At me), it does seem that she could have left the immediate bench area by crossing Blackpool Lane at the bridge and continuing downstream towards Great Eccleston on the river path, and (as yet?) has not been picked up doing so on dashcam footage.

You can clearly see the gate opposite the exit path via google street view. If someone were being deliberately evasive - this route offers less chance of being spotted by CCTV/cars than turning left or right on the main road. As well as alternatively offering a straight route to somebody in a confused/altered state of mind.

If she had wanted to go missing for whatever reason - this route (as well as allowing access to the river beyond the weir) could give access across fields northwards to Skitham Lane or westwards to Lancaster Road via the footpath network.

Again, LE may have these points covered by CCTV, or have evidence they’ve not shared that say that is not the case - drone and helicopter searches on the day of her disappearance for instance may have covered this area. But IMO that area of farmland seems the next most likely area after the water to either leave via, or be found within.

It’s mainly open, but does have some small wooded areas that don’t appear to fall into the land and water search maps shared. The boundaries between wooded and open land, particularly facing south, are known to be common choices for those considering ending their life to be found. (As are scenic or personally meaningful spots, ‘just out of sight’)

That would then cover up to roughly 8km from her last known location, in what I believe is the most likely direction of travel based on what we have heard (if she did manage to leave the bench area).
Whilst it can vary greatly depending on the misper and their vulnerabilities and we don’t know which characteristics apply here - the stats from Lost Person Behaviour (Robert J. Koester, 2008) suggest that 95% of mispers with mental illness are found within 8.1km of their last known location, despondent mispers 95% are found within 17.3km (so a bit broader, often due to travelling to meaningful locations, though 75% are found within 2.3km), and intoxicated mispers are 95% 9.7km.

I’m not sure if this is at all interesting to anyone, but if she is not recovered from the water. I’d wonder about searching this area/looking at any exit point footage next.

At a normal walking pace, you’d be looking at roughly 90 minutes to get to the NW corner of that next set of fields.

However, if we are to assume that she has voluntarily gone missing - those exit points on Skitham Lane and Lancaster Road are not on bus routes (other than school buses, as far as I can tell), so would perhaps only be useful for onward journeys if being picked up by someone in a car.

Arguably, you could also make it via those footpaths to the south (assuming leaving the bench at 9:20) to bus stops in Great Ecclestone by 11/11:30. (So before an alarm is raised beyond the immediate area, and ahead of search teams along those routes).

There are then seemingly buses on Fridays from there to St Anne’s (11:38), Blackpool (11:48), Preston (11:15, 12:15) travelling west Great Eccleston, by Square – bustimes.org
Or eastbound to Fleetwood (11:58) or Garstang (12:14) Great Eccleston, by White Bull – bustimes.org

Again, unsure if helpful or interesting in any way shape or form - but I think it does provide potential alternatives to having gone into the river, that fit with the evidence (or lack thereof) we know about at this point.

Of course, if she had travelled onwards, unless it was with help - you would probably have expected some sightings to emerge - particularly if going into Great Eccleston or continuing by bus.

Terribly illustrated map attached to explain visually…
Green = areas covered in police search maps (the bench area is to the right off the map)
Black arrow = Possible route through CCTV dead zone
Yellow = possible land search area/footpath network
Blue = possible western and northern exit points accessed from footpaths
Red = possible footpath route to bus stops in Great Ecclestone

View attachment 403269
Excellent post! Out of interest what do you think about the plausibility of crossing the river South or East? It didn't make much sense at the start outside of the 3rd party theory, but if she was vulnerable I wonder if it's something she could have attempted? It'd throw off the whole thing as it's not what you'd expect someone to do.

I will have a go this evening if I can but it'd be interesting to see how much/where there is CCTV in relation to the squares. It's one thing to get to them but you've still got to get somewhere else (assuming it isn't the bus theory.)

We have threads for some of these ladies, but most are lucky to have 14 posts or pages, let alone 14 entire threads.

There is a known societal phenomena which plays a part in this: Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia

I think as a rule the public tends to pick up on disappearances that could happen to any one of us. but for the grace of god and all that. I also believe that the minute it’s suggested someone was suicidal or likely to have run away voluntarily, we switch off a bit. Human nature.

Agreed.

This is why I am sceptical that police simply saying different stuff at the press briefings would have made any difference. What hooked in the media and the public was the mystery and the drama. Nothing short of finding NB could change that.

Police couldn't come out and say it's voluntary because they actually don't know that.

For all we know, the poor woman had an accident!

I was thinking this. You can drink a bottle of vodka in half hour and think "can't do this anymore"
Been there too.
She did have what looked like a water bottle in that last picture. I remember at the time thinking that, unless she was planning to go the gym, it seemed strange on such a freezing cold morning so early to be clutching a cold bottle of water. But of course, it might have been water, or it might not. JMO.

I really feel for Nicola's family and hope they find closure and are able to figure out what happened to her. Personally I hate how LE put out the info on her issues with alcohol and being menopausal I think it was wrong. IMO there's nothing showing she went in the water and nothing leading to abduction. There's no cctv showing her entering or leaving the area ,just a few people seeing her there. So it's all just a mystery. Jmoo if Nicola is found on land LE is going to be receiving a whole Lotta backlash. It's all just moo

Poor poor woman. I know exactly how she's been feeling. I've been a mess myself for 2 years with my menopause and I also have been using alcohol to medicate. I can't focus, I can't remember things during a conversation, i cant sleep which is so awful. I feel rubbish as a member of society. Probably why I get engrossed in crime mysteries, to take my mind of how rubbish I feel. It's an escape. I would love to be free. Fortunately for me HRT is starting to work and I'm on a new anti depressant, I've also taken steps to reduce my alcohol intake. I never drank in the mornings and only drank every other evening at my worst. The hangover day is deliberating though, a very deep dark cloud hangs over me and I felt dreadful. You feel locked in a spiral and a useless parent. Alcohol stops working eventually then you feel despair.
On the outside, nobody would know any of this. I can hide it with a smile and a joke and make up.
If anything this tragedy has helped me enormously, I didn't know others felt like I do.
I'm going to send her an angel in my thoughts.
I wish you and NB could have a conversation, because maybe knowing somebody else was in a similar position would have helped her a lot. Thanks for posting. I think what you wrote has probably struck a chord with a lot of us on here. Certainly has with me.
ETA: one of the things that really helped me with the hideous ups and downs of going on HRT for the first time, was having an understanding partner. It made a massive massive difference. I hope that NB had that.

If she had admitted herself into a private clinic of sorts, would they have to tell anyone? Surely it’s confidential, not not sure if the police would have to be informed?! How does it work?

I like to think she's flown to a treatment centre in South Africa. Since it's a missing persons enquiry then unless an organisation or institution was formally requested to disclose information then they wouldn't have to volunteer it. It would require a court order IMO

Threatening to sell stories about her ☹️
Just as devil’s advocate, it’s not wrong to want to tell/sell a story that for example was in the public interest. Many crimes, mysteries, have been solved this way, not that I am suggesting any crime. Somebody sold the story of a criminal reoffending on being released from prison and given a new identity after a notorious child murder. Ditto, many stories of historic child abuse were alerted by people/victims going to the press.

She did have what looked like a water bottle in that last picture. I remember at the time thinking that, unless she was planning to go the gym, it seemed strange on such a freezing cold morning so early to be clutching a cold bottle of water. But of course, it might have been water, or it might not. JMO.
It’s not that strange. I always take a bottle of water with me for after a walk whatever time of the year. I’m also menopausal - not sure if that’s relevant - but I get thirsty on return to my car and often my dog does too.

I found it very disappointing bearing in mind literally no-one knows what has happened to NB. Now even her family have decided on a narrative with zero evidence. Really upsetting IMO. It's like they've decided what's happened to her with no proof and no body :( It's all too odd for words.
we don't know that there isn't other evidence

I like to think she's flown to a treatment centre in South Africa. Since it's a missing persons enquiry then unless an organisation or institution was formally requested to disclose information then they wouldn't have to volunteer it. It would require a court order IMO

The police would know if she’d used her passport since everything is digital these days. It’s also one of the first things they ask in a misper case - where is their passport.

I really feel for Nicola's family and hope they find closure and are able to figure out what happened to her. Personally I hate how LE put out the info on her issues with alcohol and being menopausal I think it was wrong. IMO there's nothing showing she went in the water and nothing leading to abduction. There's no cctv showing her entering or leaving the area ,just a few people seeing her there. So it's all just a mystery. Jmoo if Nicola is found on land LE is going to be receiving a whole Lotta backlash. It's all just moo
MOO is that somebody in the media had this information and was threatening to sell the story.

Just as devil’s advocate, it’s not wrong to want to tell/sell a story that for example was in the public interest. Many crimes, mysteries, have been solved this way, not that I am suggesting any crime. Somebody sold the story of a criminal reoffending on being released from prison and given a new identity after a notorious child murder. Ditto, many stories of historic child abuse were alerted by people/victims going to the press.
The police is who people should be sharing their stories to. Definitely not the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven