Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire), Jan 2023 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered whether it perhaps was a neighbour, lets say hearing a row that went over the line, add into that picture two young girls in the house. TBH (although my neighbours haven't got young children) if I did hear a massive row that was escalating badly yes I would indeed ring the Police or at least knock on the door (obviously taking someone with me) to make sure all was safe.
My elderly neighbour recently received a 'welfare check' from two policemen just after midnight. Her friend had phoned the police, concerned that my neighbour was in some trouble and may not be at home..she was actually fine, but side effects of prescription drugs resulted in some confusing stories. The police would not leave until they established she was well and at home. I was quite impressed. Only relaying this to demonstrate anyone can start that ball rolling.....

My elderly neighbour recently received a 'welfare check' from two policemen just after midnight. Her friend had phoned the police, concerned that my neighbour was in some trouble and may not be at home..she was actually fine, but side effects of prescription drugs resulted in some confusing stories. The police would not leave until they established she was well and at home. I was quite impressed. Only relaying this to demonstrate anyone can start that ball rolling.....
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Welfare checks can be requested by literally anyone. I work in financial services and as a company we have called police numerous times for any customer that is in difficulty and threatens to harm/kill themselves. All or agents are trained to spot signs even if a threat is indirect and in some cases have stayed on the phone with a customer to keep them talking until police arrive if they feel it necessary

Unless she was pushed?

I am not saying that's what I think happened.

But if she was pushed, how would they be able to differentiate it from her entering the river on her own?

Unless there are security cameras showing her entering or accidentally falling with no one else near her, you wouldn't know if some weirdo ran past and shoved her hard into the river.
Remember there was a guy showing people into traffic on the bridge in the UK and those that shove people in front of subways. There are all kinds of sadist people out there that do unexpected things for no reason.

If the phone was still dialled into the conference call with her workplace, how was Ron able to see the phones wallpaper. The phone would have been in an active state, so wallpaper or a screensaver would not activate...would it ?
When the phone is inactive during a call and even still connected, if there’s no activity it will automatically go onto screensaver. Mine does the same.

The biggest conundrum in this case is...The phone "approaching" the bench, and not the phone "taken" to the bench.
IMO that phone was located in the upper field...How it eventually ended up on the bench, time, analysis and hopefully forensics will tell....
That’s just how it was worded.

The police have established that NIcola was on the bench with her phone at 09:10 (or thereabouts).

The phone was found either close to the bench ( which is also close to the river) or n the bench, and as the police have established it was on the bench, including the two witnesses who saw it there, it defined wasn’t in the upper field.

Just before Nicola was found I had started looking through the original police press release and conference. My original post below:-

I have been reading some of the initial police reports. I know timelines can change due to new witnesses etc but the initial statements are completely contradictory to the later ones

Police Facebook Update 30.1.23
Nicola was last seen on Friday morning (January 27th) at around 9.15am on the footpath by the river off Garstang Road in St Michael’s on Wyre.
?seen on the footpath around 9.15 not upper field?

First Police Press Conference
Police
- I'm here today to appeal for witnesses in the case of Nicola Bulley. This is a 45 yr. old lady, from the local area, who sadly went missing last Friday morning at about 9.15 a.m. She was last seen walking her small brown dog on the towpath of the River Wyre. The dog was found about an hour later, as was her mobile phone.
?Found an hour later not 10mins?

Reporter - And was the dog tied up or...?
Police - No, the dog was loose and the dog was between the river and the bench
?not gate and bench?

Reporter - Where was her mobile phone found?
Police - Mobile phone was found on a bench near the riverbank
They certainly are. And it's troubling.

They certainly are. And it's troubling.
IMO so many confounding reports and factors & overall strangeness. If there was any foul play I think it’s been very clever and the culprit(s) won’t be caught. Unless the police have been suspecting someone and gathering evidence the whole time. I don’t get the impression that’s been happening. If it was a freak accident we don’t need to know anymore.
Is very very sad for Nicola and her loved ones.

I'm sorry for your loss @WestLondoner. What a generous response by the coroner investigating your brother's death. As it should have been. MOO
My family not so lucky . My brother committed suicide and cause of death on his certificate reads ' death by hanging '. This was 3 decades ago so hopefully this wording has been modified to cause as little hurt to families as is possible in these situations .

This will not apply in the case of a body that's in a decomposed state?
I agree. When my cousin died during surgery, a non-invasive post-mortem (autopsy) was performed to confirm what the medical professionals believed the cause of death but when the manner of death is still not known, I doubt a non-invasive post-mortem examination would be the choice -- regardless of decomposition. JMO

ETA: spell check :oops:

Last edited:
“Often the reason people might have thoughts but not go through with it....... is because of loved ones.”

Where does that fact come from?

And is the implication then that those that do go through with it didn’t have significant love / loved ones?

Clearly suicide is unfathomable to many and many on these threads assert that she would never leave her children / loved ones / dog - but the suicidal mind is likely so distressed and disoriented to be rational that these claims are futile and are in stark contrast to the 5500 people who choose to take their lives in Eng & Wales each year - many or possibly most with children, loved ones and pets.

It’s excruciating to be the loved one of someone who has taken their own life and it’s exacerbated by ill-informed comments that enough love from loved ones could somehow have prevented the outcome.
In point of fact the deceased's love ones themselves would surely wonder if there was something they could have done or said to keep the tragedy from happening. Even little children might think that they were somehow at fault because they were too naughty too many times. It is beyond sad, but also understandable.

In a possible defense of the "She couldn't have ended her own life because she did/didn't/would not have done this or that" responders, I believe that they, deep down, perhaps simply find it difficult to accept the actuality of a suicide because it is such a grindingly awful thing, one which wounds everyone touched by it.

My family not so lucky . My brother committed suicide and cause of death on his certificate reads ' death by hanging '. This was 3 decades ago so hopefully this wording has been modified to cause as little hurt to families as is possible in these situations .
I'm sorry for your loss @Fidobell.

I can’t help but wonder if the police have now dismissed any third party involvement. I have not seen any declaration of that… but would they actually say it? Can we expect a final conclusion once all tests on the body have been actioned? To me it seems as if there has already been a conclusion that the death is not suspicious or else why leave an inquest until June? I’m a little confused.
If there was a possibility of third party involvement then surely, in theory , someone is out there who needs finding.

I can’t help but wonder if the police have now dismissed any third party involvement. I have not seen any declaration of that… but would they actually say it? Can we expect a final conclusion once all tests on the body have been actioned? To me it seems as if there has already been a conclusion that the death is not suspicious or else why leave an inquest until June? I’m a little confused.
If there was a possibility of third party involvement then surely, in theory , someone is out there who needs finding.
We don’t know what the autopsy outcome was. I would think if there was no sign of head injury, stab wounds, damage to the neck/throat and so on it would be difficult to find evidence of a third party. Particularly with no cctv or witnesses of anyone acting suspiciously. I’m sure they would follow up on any loose ends but otherwise for me it makes sense this is now going to inquest.

In Libby’s case, the evidence clearly showed she had been assaulted and murdered, plus there was cctv. Different cases in many ways, but the evidence speaks.

Not if it's cremation. A coroner can specify no cremation. He did with our 22 year-old daughter. Not unless all samples and tests are fully completed, so we waited.
Good point. They can exhume people who have been buried.

I hope your daughter is at peace, and you too have now found some. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member