UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
An hour after Child P's death, Ms Letby text a colleague to say 'Life is too sad', 'lost another and third going to women’s' Her colleague responded: 'Omfg!! what the hell is going on! Don’t know what to say…will have a big hug for you when I get there'
Sounds like a lot of the staff were starting to realise that something untoward was "going on". But probably hadn't yet realised that it was "somebody" rather than "something."

And these 2 baby boys died on back to back nights. And a 3rd baby will collapse the next night----I wonder what her co-workers said about that 3rd coincidental collapse?

With two being triplets her colleagues might have thought it was something genetic but with the next unexpected collapse the next day, being a completely unrelated baby, their responses will definitely be interesting.

Dan O'Donoghue
@MrDanDonoghue
·
2m

A nursing note, recorded by Ms Letby, following Child P's death stated: 'I have dressed (Child P) at (the parents) request and taken photos of (Child P) and (Child O) together. Support given to parents and extended family'

Dan O'Donoghue
@MrDanDonoghue
·
1m

In a message to a doctor, who cannot be named for legal reasons, later that night Ms Letby said the two boys - who were part of a set of triplets - looked 'beautiful' together, but added that it was 'beyond words how awful it is'

If guilty, her actions and words here, really are "beyond words"!

IMO

With two being triplets her colleagues might have thought it was something genetic but with the next unexpected collapse the next day, being a completely unrelated baby, their responses will definitely be interesting.

I'm just glad the 3rd triplet was transferred, and of course that Baby Q survived. We'll never know what would or would not have happened if that triplet had stayed at CoC of course, but it does make you think.

Has anybody listened to the DM podcast, episode 21 'The defendent'
I found that episode so interesting. It came off to me like Dr choc was way more into LL than visa versa. It looked as though she were just rinsing him for info.
Also the second part of the podcast blew my mind, a special speaker on 'the family court'
Why??! The family court is a different court to the crown and the speaker was talking about accessing information under this new 'pilot scheme' that suddenly allows us to be privi to information that has previously been protected.
They also hinted that none of this information has been allowed to be publicised before due it involving children.
Yes, yes, all very interesting but why are we hearing about this on a podcast named 'the defendent?'
I think we are in for a shock, it's going to come out that there is something either disturbing or sinister in the background of the defendent.
JMO

Has anybody listened to the DM podcast, episode 21 'The defendent'
I found that episode so interesting. It came off to me like Dr choc was way more into LL than visa versa. It looked as though she were just rinsing him for info.
Also the second part of the podcast blew my mind, a special speaker on 'the family court'
Why??! The family court is a different court to the crown and the speaker was talking about accessing information under this new 'pilot scheme' that suddenly allows us to be privi to information that has previously been protected.
They also hinted that none of this information has been allowed to be publicised before due it involving children.
Yes, yes, all very interesting but why are we hearing about this on a podcast named 'the defendent?'
I think we are in for a shock, it's going to come out that there is something either disturbing or sinister in the background of the defendent.
JMO

I've just listened to this. To be honest, I don't see any relevance to the Lucy Letby case at all.

We're back after a break for lunch. The doctor is continuing to give evidence. He's going over notes from 24 June, when Child P collapsed on a number of occasions

The doctor tells the court that on the afternoon of 24 June he fitted a chest drain for Child P as he was suffering a suspected pneumothorax

The court has just heard how Child P went into cardiac arrest at 15:14, the doctor recalls how chest compressions were commenced along with breathing support and four doses of adrenaline administered

After 45mins the decision was taken, in conjunction with his family, to stop resuscitation.

Prosecutor Simon Driver asks the doctor: 'Can you understand the course his life took over those few days (since his birth)'

'No', the medic responds

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "but they've got to judge each charge individually", but I'm assuming you mean they can't rely on information/evidence from the other charges when they deliberate on all of them. If that's what you mean it isn't correct. They can use all the evidence when they consider each individual charge.

Here's just one example from opening speech, there are others:

"We also say that you are entitled to look at the evidence of what happened to [Child A and B] in the context of one, what Lucy Letby did to other children and two, most starkly, her having poisoned [two other children] with insulin."
Recap: Prosecution opens trial of Lucy Letby accused of Countess of Chester Hospital baby murders

No, that’s not what I meant. I meant they can find her guilty or not of each individual charge independently from the other charges. Not that they shouldn’t consider patterns and similarities when considering each incident.

Someone has just prompted an interesting thought. Regardless of innocence or guilt I am genuinely surprised from multiple angles about this workplace. If I was a manager and I had this many deaths on it not only would I be thinking wth is going on but I would be thinking if I had one nurse that was around it all the time I would be very very concerned about her/them tolerance levels. Kind of situation that can make people think of the to be or not to be question. Yet as far as I know dr Brearey was the first to ask ll how she was getting on from a professional POV. I can totally see how he would be surprised by her response. Genuinely I would have expected a group chat and offering the staff any extra support that was available or something like that. Is there really nothing like that on a NNU ?

multiple things I can see if that had happened. they could have gauged how ll was in response to the situation, might have picked up on any unusual reactions, could offer help if needed and generally for ll and other staff made sure it wasn’t affecting there work or equilibrium otherwise.
I don’t know if that’s just me but I might think it’s reasonable really.

plus It would give us an insight to read up on now. :/

Dr Anthony Ukoh, who also helped with Child P's treatment on 24 June, is now in the witness box

Dr Ukoh assisted with one of Child P's earlier collapses. He told the court that he examined the baby boy and was called back 20mins later as he his heart rate had 'plummeted'. Two other doctors were called to assist and Child P was eventually stabilised

A former nursing colleague of Ms Letby, Sophie Ellis, is now in the witness box

Dan

Someone has just prompted an interesting thought. Regardless of innocence or guilt I am genuinely surprised from multiple angles about this workplace. If I was a manager and I had this many deaths on it not only would I be thinking wth is going on but I would be thinking if I had one nurse that was around it all the time I would be very very concerned about her/them tolerance levels. Kind of situation that can make people think of the to be or not to be question. Yet as far as I know dr Brearey was the first to ask ll how she was getting on from a professional POV. I can totally see how he would be surprised by her response. Genuinely I would have expected a group chat and offering the staff any extra support that was available or something like that. Is there really nothing like that on a NNU ?

multiple things I can see if that had happened. they could have gauged how ll was in response to the situation, might have picked up on any unusual reactions, could offer help if needed and generally for ll and other staff made sure it wasn’t affecting there work or equilibrium otherwise.
I don’t know if that’s just me but I might think it’s reasonable really.

plus It would give us an insight to read up on now. :/
The main approach would probably be through the rota. It seems they did try to manage the situation in this way and I hope we will get more detail on that after we have heard about child Q.
I think support would have been offered through the trust's occupational health service.

I suspect heavy reporting restrictions today unless the court reporters are unspeakably lax. Lack of any decent sleep last night has made me so bloody angry today about this trial. As we have yet to hear the defence case I may have to eat my words at a later date but WTAF would possess anyone to do this ? Not only are the families affected lives scarred beyond recognition, precious tiny lives lost and countless other unspeakable tragedies born from this but the sheer amount of time, effort and money has been poured into this trial. You have consultants dragged to court countless times to give evidence when they would be better served doing the job they are paid to do in the hospital settings, patients denied seeing the consultants and no doubt endless rescheduling of appointments. Nurses again forced into court to give evidence on someone who they actually thought was a colleague and in some cases friend, giving evidence as to their recollection of events and (unless you are familiar to the court setting is a very stressful thing in itself ) and Letby’s family who will be under unprecedented pressure. I simply cannot get past how WICKED this all is.
Rant over …. MHO obviously but dear god why ?

Later that night, in a Facebook message to a doctor, Ms Letby said: "I keep thinking of them both in the cot together - so peaceful yet beyond words for how awful it is."

And this one

Should be back today, assuming all are in good health.

This week and next are full weeks in the trial schedule.

Not sure reporters are fully committed though, their output has dwindled to virtually nil. It's shockingly bad, in my opinion, and I don't see why the weekly podcast is so short, or why they use half of it to focus on other topics. They cram a whole week's evidence into 10 or 15 minutes, obviously leaving out far more detail than is in. All reporters who are in court all day are employed to be our eyes and ears, but a lot of them seem to be switched off. /Rant over (until the next time!)

Without wanting to sound like I'm defending the reporters, I do think it must be a real struggle for them, 5 months in, to maintain daily interest here when they're effectively having to listen to different witnesses essentially saying more or less the same thing. I know I'd struggle.

Hopefully, they'll perk up when the prosecution makes its closing statement and the defence takes the stage.

I feel really bad for LL's family, especially when she says

Letby said: “I know, I feel bad because I know it’s really hard for them especially as I’m an only child and they mean well, just a little suffocating at times and constantly feel guilty."

They must absolutely be worried sick by this whole thing, no matter the outcome.

I feel really bad for LL's family, especially when she says

Letby said: “I know, I feel bad because I know it’s really hard for them especially as I’m an only child and they mean well, just a little suffocating at times and constantly feel guilty."

They must absolutely be worried sick by this whole thing, no matter the outcome.

I thought she had siblings due to the names mentioned in her note alongside mum and dad, my fault to assume eh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa