UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As bad is this is, I honestly believe it’s because she looks like butter wouldn’t melt, no way in this world would you look at this girl and even think for a second that she’s capable of what she’s in court for. I’d say it just went on to a point where it was blindly obvious and then everything fell into place, all those deaths, all very similar, all when she was on shift.
This bias needs to be shot down by the defence constantly, a lot of people can't see past her appearance.

"Ill never have children or marry. Ill never know what its like to have a family."

Significant.

Wasnt this brought up before as a motive when she was first in court?
It depends when it was written though. It could go as to motive or as to desperation that she might go away for life for something she didn't do.

As bad is this is, I honestly believe it’s because she looks like butter wouldn’t melt, no way in this world would you look at this girl and even think for a second that she’s capable of what she’s in court for. I’d say it just went on to a point where it was blindly obvious and then everything fell into place, all those deaths, all very similar, all when she was on shift.

Agreed! I imagine if she was an immigrant of colour, things may have been different. Unfortunately these bias exist still.

With regards to the note, could it be that she was under the influence of alcohol at the time and deny knowing what she'd written due to being intoxicated?

It depends when it was written though. It could go as to motive or as to desperation that she might go away for life for something she didn't do.

I seem to remember something about not having a family mentioned a few years ago.

With regards to the note, could it be that she was under the influence of alcohol at the time and deny knowing what she'd written due to being intoxicated?
I've tried writing whilst under the influence. I couldn't decipher any of it the next day. That note wasn't written while drunk, at least not drunk to point she didn't know what she was writing.

This bias needs to be shot down by the defence constantly, a lot of people can't see past her appearance.

It's not just her physical appearance though is it. It's also her gender and mostly the fact she's an average person who has studied hard, worked hard, has many life privileges, and comes from what so far appears to be a very 'normal' background with no outstanding or notable issues (well, none that have been publicly mentioned so far). Hardly the average profile of a killer - far from it in fact.

If she is found not guilty, and also is also actually innocent (although we wouldn't know), there will be some people who will never believe it, simply down to the reporting of the note. It was either first or second headline on the national news this evening (BBC & ITV) and the actual note itself was only on the screen for a second, most of the reporting was simply around the "I did it" and "I'm Evil" lines, that will stick in people's minds for years.

I am still opem minded on whether she is guilty or not, but if she is found not guilty, she may well have to have a new identity, given how heavy the reporting of the prosecution's opening statement has been.

I agree that there are miscarriages of justice, but one thing this case has is the NHS computerised records system which provides for an authentic paper trail of evidence. It's not just the police conducting an investigation and choosing their own lines of enquiry in order to gather evidence, with the risk of confirmation bias and the wrong suspect. In one respect the main body of evidence in this was already collated before police involvement.

Also there will be plenty of witnesses to be cross examined, from fellow nurses and doctors to the families of the babies.

There is a lot of circumstantial evidence, but it’s not like the case is solely dependent on it.

omg puts you off going into hospital after reading all that.
I guess it was just a suspicion, with no proof, and it was such a crazy idea, for a nurse to be harming babies...
That’s true. From what I gathered in today’s proceedings, there was suspicion around Letby before the final two deaths. At the same time, nobody could reasonably be expected to believe someone was intentionally harming babies. This case is awfully sad.

Hello, I’m also new here but have read wb cases for some while now. I want to offer an impartial view, but first; it was asked some while ago about past relationships and there was (is) a photo circulating online with what appears to be an engagement ring on her finger. In other photos, there is no ring.

At first, my impression was perhaps this was someone who was unable to have children or maybe suffered a loss of a child herself. Seeing the note at first, it appeared to indicate this; I reads almost as hateful, resent, envy, was she unable to have children, is that the connection to not having a family? Since re-reading, it appears to reflect more on what is happening; the police investigation and outcome she is fearful of her fate, prison, no children, no family.
The very odd thing in the note, is it appears to be quite a desperate note which when you re-read, does spark some level of innocence..and the desperation to be believed , but on the flip side, the reference to *doing this, evil etc* it appears something else very unsettling. I can’t quite figure this out.

On a separate note, those who may be blindsided by “looks” or certain types of people who do these things is very stereotypical. I have worked with someone very similar to this person. Sweet, kind, typical girl-next door. The signs are not always obvious, I’m fact so subtle you start to question your sanity, are you imagining it etc..When confronted, tears, very emotional, manipulating even by using emotion and becoming quite upset. Strange subtle things continued, all very extremely uncomfortable all with this airy and sweet likeness!! I was aware of a few others feeling the same (self doubt, questioning their own judgment), again, it can be very difficult to prove. What is also interesting is, they later became quite angry (but emotionally upset type angry) they had done nothing wrong- which was proved they actually had!

The simple point, sometimes even when others can see things are not right, this type of person doesn’t seem to actually want to accept any wrongdoing. The way in which it is done is also so subtle, you start to believe that you, yourself are the issue. It’s very manipulative behaviour.

I do think there lots more things to come with time, and no idea which way this will go, but my deepest thoughts and love to all those effected, I can’t imagine what they must have been and are going through, including the jury, it must be extremely difficult for them too.

Can't help but think about the ramifications of this trial. Firstly, regardless of outcome, there is going to be so much doubt from people who think she's innocent, and people who think she's guilty. It's already so muddy, but because of the content of the crimes (if indeed there are crimes) people will have an exceptionally strong opinion on it.

On top of that, it's going to change everything about patient records and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member