UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN REMINDER:

This is a trial discussion thread. If a post insinuates or expresses an opinion regarding the guilt or innocence of the accused, it it sub judice and will be removed.

Please review the Admin Note in the Opening Posts of this discussion:

The court was told Child I was born prematurely in August 2015 at Liverpool Women's Hospital at the gestational age of 27 weeks and weighed 2Ibs 2oz (970g).
She was transferred to the Countess of Chester Hospital later that month.

It is alleged that before murdering Child I, Ms Letby attempted to kill the infant on 30 September and during night shifts on 12 and 13 October.
The prosecution said she harmed the premature infant by injecting air into her feeding tube and bloodstream before she eventually died in the early hours of 23 October 2015.
In a statement read to the court, Child I's mother said her daughter was about six weeks old when she thought she might be well enough to go home.

"She looked like a full-term baby, she didn't look frail or small."
She recalled that around this time she was allowed to bathe her daughter for the first time and that Letby helped prepare it.
She said she was "so pleased to be able to bathe her" and her daughter was "obviously enjoying it because she was smiling".
"Lucy even offered to take some photos using my mobile, which I agreed to," she said.
"I didn't have too much to do with Lucy. She always appeared reserved compared to other nurses. She didn't really interact with parents."

*ETA I tend to think, if guilty, LL just chose babies whose deaths she thought would have the biggest most dramatic impact, as if she were writing her own script for a hospital docu-soap - a baby the parents had waited years for, a baby whose 100 day birthday it was, a baby whose due date it was, sets of twins and triplets where it would be even more tragic if the parents lost both or all three of their babies.
I can totally see this (if guilty).

Last edited:

The court was told Child I was born prematurely in August 2015 at Liverpool Women's Hospital at the gestational age of 27 weeks and weighed 2Ibs 2oz (970g).
She was transferred to the Countess of Chester Hospital later that month.

It is alleged that before murdering Child I, Ms Letby attempted to kill the infant on 30 September and during night shifts on 12 and 13 October.
The prosecution said she harmed the premature infant by injecting air into her feeding tube and bloodstream before she eventually died in the early hours of 23 October 2015.
In a statement read to the court, Child I's mother said her daughter was about six weeks old when she thought she might be well enough to go home.

"She looked like a full-term baby, she didn't look frail or small."
She recalled that around this time she was allowed to bathe her daughter for the first time and that Letby helped prepare it.
She said she was "so pleased to be able to bathe her" and her daughter was "obviously enjoying it because she was smiling".
"Lucy even offered to take some photos using my mobile, which I agreed to," she said.
"I didn't have too much to do with Lucy. She always appeared reserved compared to other nurses. She didn't really interact with parents."
I find this last line or 2 interesting. It conflicts with the stories we have heard where she was repeatedly told to essentially "mind her own business" eg going into bereavement suites when not required. This is interesting and Im not entirely sure what to make of it. Is it a contradiction of what weve already heard. Or is it a sign of her being inappropriate ie not engaging with parents when she should, but equally being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its like she is socially awkward, doesnt know how to behave appropriately....or its a contradiction of reports from the senior nurse where she has to keep her away from parents... hhhmmmm

I find this last line or 2 interesting. It conflicts with the stories we have heard where she was repeatedly told to essentially "mind her own business" eg going into bereavement suites when not required. This is interesting and Im not entirely sure what to make of it. Is it a contradiction of what weve already heard. Or is it a sign of her being inappropriate ie not engaging with parents when she should, but equally being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its like she is socially awkward, doesnt know how to behave appropriately....or its a contradiction of reports from the senior nurse where she has to keep her away from parents... hhhmmmm

Or maybe it's a case of "she didn't really interact with parents"... unless their babies had died and then she wanted to be the one involved in all the "rituals" surrounding the death ie the bathing, the photos, the taking footprints, the memory box.

My thoughts on it are ...its bereaved relatives she seems inappropriately involved in

My thoughts on it are ...its bereaved relatives she seems inappropriately involved in
And / or deceased babies (allegedly JMO etc)

And TBF there must be people who do "enjoy" working with either bereaved parents or deceased babies , but, they would just find jobs doing those things rather than , as LL may have allegedly done, created the circumstances themselves.

Last edited:
it is strange isn’t it. Although according to the mothers testimony it was upon returning to the room with the Bath that she was smiling. It’s really really difficult to think that LL would walk back into the room smiling and have that as an appropriate emotional response considering the circumstances. You could explain away if she smiled once in an empathetic way whilst reminding them of the babies first bath, as in “think of this happy memory” kind of way but to walk in smiling and apparently talking just shows a gross lack of situational awareness in terms of empathy. For someone who is seen to be professional that is way out there. IMO.

it is strange isn’t it. Although according to the mothers testimony it was upon returning to the room with the Bath that she was smiling. It’s really really difficult to think that LL would walk back into the room smiling and have that as an appropriate emotional response considering the circumstances. You could explain away if she smiled once in an empathetic way whilst reminding them of the babies first bath, as in “think of this happy memory” kind of way but to walk in smiling and apparently talking just shows a gross lack of situational awareness in terms of empathy. For someone who is seen to be professional that is way out there. IMO.
Just imagine...

The parents are having the last private moment with their baby, bathing her before funeral and expressing goodbye - and suddenly somebody barges in, chatting, smiling and taking photos.
Click, click - another picture?
Like paparazzi oblivious to heartbreak.

Words fail me.
What is wrong with people?

What happened to dignity, respect shown to the dead??

JMO

Last edited:
Just imagine...

The parents are having the last private moment with their baby, bathing her before funeral and expressing goodbye - and suddenly somebody barges in, chatting, smiling and taking photos.
Click, click - another picture?
Like paparazzi oblivious to heartbreak.

Words fail me.
What is wrong with people?

What happened to dignity, respect shown to the dead??

JMO
As I mentioned yesterday, photos are normal. For some families those photos may be the only ones they have of their baby without nasal tubes or being hooked up to a machine, and are cherished for that reason.

I don’t get the impression from the mother’s statement that LL was bouncing in the room with a jolly disposition snapping pictures, just that something about her overall demeanour was unusual. JMO.

As I mentioned yesterday, photos are normal. For some families those photos may be the only ones they have of their baby without nasal tubes or being hooked up to a machine, and are cherished for that reason.

I don’t get the impression from the mother’s statement that LL was bouncing in the room with a jolly disposition snapping pictures, just that something about her overall demeanour was unusual. JMO.
The picture of a dead loved one seems rather macabre "souvenir", no?

JMO

The picture of a dead loved one seems rather macabre "souvenir", no?

JMO
Depends, I have a picture of my nan after she passed when she was in her coffin at home for a week, it's the first time I had seen her in years without her oxygen tubes on for her COPD, or with her hair fresh out of rollers. Some may find it weird but I find it a great comfort as it's how I remember her before she was unwell. I think if the family would like those photos then it's a personal choice just as I wouldn't judge anyone who didn't want those pictures or a memory box or to view a body at a funeral home etc. Grief is so personal

Depends, I have a picture of my nan after she passed when she was in her coffin at home for a week, it's the first time I had seen her in years without her oxygen tubes on for her COPD, or with her hair fresh out of rollers. Some may find it weird but I find it a great comfort as it's how I remember her before she was unwell. I think if the family would like those photos then it's a personal choice just as I wouldn't judge anyone who didn't want those pictures or a memory box or to view a body at a funeral home etc. Grief is so personal
I keep my dead loved ones in my heart.

And have pictures of them smiling and happy.
That is how I remember them - full of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLWho