UK - Penny Bell, 43, Ealing, London, 6 June 1991

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Vox_Veritas_JT, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Vox_Veritas_JT

Vox_Veritas_JT New Member

The above information is from Wikipedia. I wanted to add this case as it has recently been the subject of an hour documentary in the Donal MacIntyre Unsolved series. The aspect of the case which most staggers me is the time of day and place of the murder. This was a busy area and a busy time, surely this was not a plan? The Unsub must have been covered with blood after the attack, add to this that Penny supposedly tried to solicit help by turning on her hazard lights, windscreen wipers and driving very slowly and it seems hard to understand how more eyewitnesses were not tracked down.

The documentary made much of the fact she had withdrawn £8, 500 in cash a few days earlier and was carrying that amount with her when she was attacked. The money has never been found and the husband had no idea what it was for, the withdrawal was not covered up by Penny as it was taken from the couples joint account. The investigation spent a great deal of time focused on the husband but he had an alibi and the police could not find a motive for him. Although it was not said in the documentary the whiteboard in the background noted that police had a partial palm print from the car that they believe to be from the suspect.

I feel very much for the daughter robbed so violently of her mother when she was a young girl. So I throw it open in the hope that some sharp minds from here might have some ideas.

2. Loading...

3. Galbin

Galbin New Member

I've just watched this on YT. One poster suggested that perhaps she had adopted a child in her younger days and that now he was blackmailing her. It's really obvious it was someone she knew. The fact that the money is gone also lends credence to the suggestion that the person knew her and knew she would have the money to hand.

On a side note, I am very saddened that nobody tried to help her when she had her hazard lights on and appeared to be mouthing, "Help". :(

4. tashkent4231

tashkent4231 New Member

My name is Tash Kent and I am looking to make a documentary about the murder of Penny Bell. I've read a lot of publicly available articles, delved deep into the discussion forums on Websleuths and Reddit and listened to podcasts and YouTube videos that are readily avaailble. The key areas of interest for me are:

1. The use of the word "appointment" and the timing of the appointment that Penny left for (if of course she did have an appointment). I think there has been suggestions that this was a meeting but the timing and use of the word suggests that this could have been a doctor's appointment or a dentist appointment. Based on her direction of travel from her home in Denham to Fulmer Common Road and then to Gurnell Leisure Centre in Greenford, Penny may have been visiting a doctor's surgery in in Iver. Has anything ever been released about this?

2. Has anything ever been discovered about the man in the bronze car who an eye witness saw get into Penny's car in the layby on the Fulham Common Road. Was the description that of the man who was later seen by another eye witness?

Lastly, it would be good to hear about any theories that you may have on this case so that we can try and help solve it!

5. tashkent4231

tashkent4231 New Member

My name is Tash Kent and I am looking to make a documentary about the murder of Penny Bell in order to try and solve this case. I've read a lot of publicly available articles, delved deep into the discussion forums on Websleuths and Reddit and listened to podcasts and YouTube videos that are readily available. The key areas of interest for me are:

1. The use of the word "appointment" and the timing of the appointment that Penny left for (if of course she did have an appointment). I think there has been suggestions that this was a meeting but the timing and use of the word suggests that this could have been a doctor's appointment or a dentist appointment. Based on her direction of travel from her home in Denham to Fulmer Common Road and then to Gurnell Leisure Centre in Greenford, Penny may have been visiting a doctor's surgery in in Iver. Has anything ever been released about this?

2. Has anything ever been discovered about the man in the bronze car who an eye witness saw get into Penny's car in the layby on the Fulham Common Road. Was the description that of the man who was later seen by another eye witness?

Lastly, it would be good to hear about any theories that you may have on this case so that we can try and help solve it!