claims they soon lost interest.

She said: “A senior officer from Merseyside Police came to see me once and
said: ‘We can’t find him. Try to think of him as dead, don’t think about
it.’”

Mystery of Richey who went missing 20 years ago

24 DEC 2014 -
Mum of son who vanished after Liverpool Christmas party refuses to give up hope

JS53453277.jpg

Philip, who was then 21, went missing after a Christmas party in Liverpool in 1995. For the last 19 years his mum Nadine, now 70, has never given up – and still lives in hope that, one day, he will finally come home.
---
Philip, a qualified baker and chef who was working as a lorry driver, was a member of the Territorial Army. He had driven to Liverpool from his home in Hull for a party at HMS Eaglet, the Royal Naval Reserves unit near the city centre, on December 10. He was seen leaving in a taxi with two girls, and has never been heard from since.

The mystery of his disappearance sparked a five-week long search, with divers and a helicopter scouring 200 miles of coastline. Nadine has also continued her own search, handing out tens of thousands of leaflets and making appeals in the press and on television – all to no avail.

Nadine (his mum), who is a councillor and Lord Mayor in Hull, says: “Obviously I’ve thought everything over the years.#
---
Nadine has been involved with the national charity Missing People, which she has also supported via her role as Lord Mayor. She says: “Without them, I would have cracked – they have kept me sane.

“They are always there to talk to, when you feel you can’t keep going on about it to friends and family. They really understand.”
---
“On the day Philip went to Liverpool, I had a meeting in the morning to do with my work as a councillor. He was still in bed, so I didn’t even get to say goodbye – and I’ve never spoken to him since. We all take it for granted that we’ll see each other again, but in our case, it never happened.”
---
At the time of his disappearance, Philip Fudge was 21 years old. He is 5ft 10in tall, with blue eyes, and in 1995 was of heavy build and had short fair hair.

(some parts above were bolded by me)

6 May 2006 - 'If only we had said goodbye'

In December 1995, a friend invited Philip Fudge, 21, to a party at the Liverpool barracks of HMS Eaglett. He was last seen leaving in a taxi. He was living in Hull with his mother

Nadine, Philip's mother: "On the Sunday [the party was on a Saturday] I got a call from one of the friends Philip went to Liverpool with, asking if I had seen Philip. They didn't know where he was. I got worried and rang the police and they said you have to give it four days. If it's a child, they'll act straightaway, if it's girl they'll go reasonably quickly, but if it's a boy they'll wait four days.

"But I took it seriously. I rang hospitals in or around Liverpool, police stations, Granada TV and the radio stations. Radio Merseyside put out a message for him to call his mother.
---
"When the divers searched the Liverpool docks, that was my worst time. The barracks is not far from the water but he'd have had to climb a hell of a big fence, and get through security ... I knew it was possible he could have gone in the water, but I wanted them to stop - I don't know why. Thinking about the water, I just had this fear. They did find a body down there but it was an old man.

"Much later, about three years ago, the phone rang and it was a boy crying and saying, 'Mum, I'm sorry, I want to come home,' and all I kept saying was, 'Who is it?' I don't know why. Afterwards I realised - and this really gets to you - that I should have said, 'Where are you?' or something. He just kept saying, 'It's me, I'm sorry, I want to come home.' And then he said, 'Well I'll go now,' and put the phone down. Then the phone rang again, and I knew that this time I had to tell him to come home, but it was someone selling double-glazing. My daughter said, 'He's done it once, Mum, he can do it again.' But he never did."

'If only we had said goodbye'

Nadine, Philip's mother: "On the Sunday [the party was on a Saturday] I got a call from one of the friends Philip went to Liverpool with, asking if I had seen Philip. They didn't know where he was. I got worried and rang the police and they said you have to give it four days. If it's a child, they'll act straightaway, if it's girl they'll go reasonably quickly, but if it's a boy they'll wait four days.

BBM. Anyone else find this bizarre? I've never heard of a different "waiting period" for missing adults that's dependent on gender. Seems like precious time and evidence might've been lost in those 96 hours.

"Much later, about three years ago, the phone rang and it was a boy crying and saying, 'Mum, I'm sorry, I want to come home,' and all I kept saying was, 'Who is it?' I don't know why. Afterwards I realised - and this really gets to you - that I should have said, 'Where are you?' or something. He just kept saying, 'It's me, I'm sorry, I want to come home.' And then he said, 'Well I'll go now,' and put the phone down. Then the phone rang again, and I knew that this time I had to tell him to come home, but it was someone selling double-glazing. My daughter said, 'He's done it once, Mum, he can do it again.' But he never did."

'If only we had said goodbye'

I don't know what to make of this call. My gut unfortunately says it was a hoax. I know there's not much info available on this case, but I can't imagine why Philip would go to the trouble of calling to say he wants to come home, but then not actually do it or ever call back. And mind you, this is 8 years after the disappearance, according to the article.

BBM. Anyone else find this bizarre? I've never heard of a different "waiting period" for missing adults that's dependent on gender. Seems like precious time and evidence might've been lost in those 96 hours.

I don't know what to make of this call. My gut unfortunately says it was a hoax. I know there's not much info available on this case, but I can't imagine why Philip would go to the trouble of calling to say he wants to come home, but then not actually do it or ever call back. And mind you, this is 8 years after the disappearance, according to the article.
Regarding your question about waiting time periods, I worked for Merseyside Police, the force that was responsible for the investigation into Philips disappearance and although I have no personal knowledge of the investigation and I was not involved in it at all, I can most definitely say that this was not and has never been the policy and I cannot think of any circumstances whereby this has been misconstrued. I am not saying that the family are lying but I do feel that it’s possibly down to misunderstanding or alternative perception because I really cannot fathom where that intonation is from.

Regarding your question about waiting time periods, I worked for Merseyside Police, the force that was responsible for the investigation into Philips disappearance and although I have no personal knowledge of the investigation and I was not involved in it at all, I can most definitely say that this was not and has never been the policy and I cannot think of any circumstances whereby this has been misconstrued. I am not saying that the family are lying but I do feel that it’s possibly down to misunderstanding or alternative perception because I really cannot fathom where that intonation is from.
Hi there. I am ex Merseyside too. I am not aware of that protocol when dealing with MFH enquiries. However I have known a few bobbies in my time who would state information similar to that just for the sake of it, why? I don't know. Probably just sheer laziness on their part.

I've only just read about Philip today and there really isn't alot of information out there about him. I'm going to try and do some more digging as there are just a lot of questions really.

I haven't really made alot of progress really, rather frustratingly. I did listen to the missing podcast and wonder if I picked something up right? Does it say that the security cameras were turned off that night?
Philip_Fudge — The Missing Podcast

I haven't really made alot of progress really, rather frustratingly. I did listen to the missing podcast and wonder if I picked something up right? Does it say that the security cameras were turned off that night?
Philip_Fudge — The Missing Podcast

These kinds of enquiries are never easy and need good 'ole detective work.

It needs communication with family/friends to build up a fuller picture as possible of Philip the person.

Then the people at the party need to be tracked down to find as much information as possible about Philip on the night of the party, e.g his description, timings, his mood, who he was seen with and when, drink/drugs, anything he said to people, mention of where he was staying/going home with, who he left with and in which direction, how he left, time he left, description of those he left with etc.

These are all the things that police would not commit significant and skilled time to as it is detailed and painstaking. It is unlikely to be allocated to a dedicated officer but passed from shift to shift via the Sergeants and possibly down the line to a relatively inexperienced Police Constable.

These things needs a joined up approach between agencies and missing person charities to ensure the publicity is correct and is being pushed out in the correct way.

Then there are a whole number of other enquiries, some which would need the police to request directly to make life easier, hopefully some of which they have done already.

All the info would need to be passed to the police as they have primacy in the UK with all missing persons investigations.

Last edited:
24 DEC 201
Missing… PHILIP FUDGE

2227889.main_image.jpg

Last seen December 10, 1995

(Article Published - 29th January 2015)

HGV driver Philip was 21 when he set off from his home in Hull for a
weekend in Liverpool – and disappeared.

Police launched a major search, with boats and planes. But mum Nadine, now 70,
claims they soon lost interest.

She said: “A senior officer from Merseyside Police came to see me once and
said: ‘We can’t find him. Try to think of him as dead, don’t think about
it.’”

Mystery of Richey who went missing 20 years ago

JS53453277.jpg

Philip, who was then 21, went missing after a Christmas party in Liverpool in 1995. For the last 19 years his mum Nadine, now 70, has never given up – and still lives in hope that, one day, he will finally come home.
---
Philip, a qualified baker and chef who was working as a lorry driver, was a member of the Territorial Army. He had driven to Liverpool from his home in Hull for a party at HMS Eaglet, the Royal Naval Reserves unit near the city centre, on December 10. He was seen leaving in a taxi with two girls, and has never been heard from since.

The mystery of his disappearance sparked a five-week long search, with divers and a helicopter scouring 200 miles of coastline. Nadine has also continued her own search, handing out tens of thousands of leaflets and making appeals in the press and on television – all to no avail.

Nadine (his mum), who is a councillor and Lord Mayor in Hull, says: “Obviously I’ve thought everything over the years.#
---
Nadine has been involved with the national charity Missing People, which she has also supported via her role as Lord Mayor. She says: “Without them, I would have cracked – they have kept me sane.

“They are always there to talk to, when you feel you can’t keep going on about it to friends and family. They really understand.”
---
“On the day Philip went to Liverpool, I had a meeting in the morning to do with my work as a councillor. He was still in bed, so I didn’t even get to say goodbye – and I’ve never spoken to him since. We all take it for granted that we’ll see each other again, but in our case, it never happened.”
---
At the time of his disappearance, Philip Fudge was 21 years old. He is 5ft 10in tall, with blue eyes, and in 1995 was of heavy build and had short fair hair.

(some parts above were bolded by me)

In all honesty I do wonder whether the male and female in the taxi were his friends he went to the party with. They haven’t been publicly named. Apparently he was a Hgv driver who drove abroad, then I read he drove for the territorial army , then apparently he’s a chef. He was young and achieved a lot , I’d love to know if his friends were involved in going abroad with him, was he or they involved in something? Perhaps he refused to take part . But it all comes down to the one question……. Where is his body?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back